Toan, Pho in Cloverly Shopping Center - Closed

Spurred on by Tim Carmen's praise of Toan in the Cloverly shopping center on New Hampshire approximately a half a mle short of the end of the flat earth whee you fall off the edge and onto the backs of the giant turtles who hold up our supposedly round but we know better planet... ohh I digress...

I tried to eat here twice last week. Once I walked in while they were still open but with take out only so I passed. ext time, they were closed for an emergancy. THird time was the charm and boy was it a charmed visit.

The Pho is made wihout MSG and is a strikingly rich broth which might be a little short of the anise and other aromatic spices others use, but it has a richer meatiness than any other pho I have had in the DC area. $7.95 brought a huge bowl with several kinds of brisket and steak, chunks of tendon, a smattering of tripe and a little bit of fat alog with sliced jalapenos, bean sprouts and basil. This is now my favorite pho.

The scary part is that only 2 customers were in the joint at 12:30 on a soup inspiring day if ever there was one. If you have not been, go! Don't make me come after you! I might fed you to the turtles!!!

Tim, we are now almost even for Tacqeria La Placita!!!

Ummm, Dean when we were at the New Kam Fong lunch recently I mentioned an excellent local Pho place. This is it. Since I live quite nearby I fell over it about a year ago. It is my go to place for Pho and I go once a week. Their food is consistent, well prepared by an attentive friendly, staff and the place is bright/clean. Alas, as a result of their location at the edge of civilization they do not get a lot of traffic. They need business. I hope this thread helps them.

Spurred on by Tim Carmen's praise of Toan in the Cloverly shopping center on New Hampshire approximately a half a mle short of the end of the flat earth whee you fall off the edge and onto the backs of the giant turtles who hold up our supposedly round but we know better planet... ohh I digress...

Mock the dining mecca of Cloverly if you will, but, not having been, I was faced with a gut-wrenching decision about Toan's initial coverage in the Dining Guide. Fortunately, my mom lives 10 minutes from Cloverly and she loves Pho, so a more educated placement will be rendered shortly.

L'Antagoniste.

(I wonder if anyone in the world realizes just how much I fret over these things.)

Toan has been my go-to pho place for the last four or five months, and while I've never been the only customer, it's also never been more than 1/4 full. Stopped by for lunch today, a few minutes after 1pm - closed. Hmm. There was no explanatory sign, so I hope this was just another of those emergency closures.