Birthday Dinner for Ethnic Food-Loving 80 Year Old

StorageLady

Trying to find a new place (well, new to us) that serves fabulous ethnic food. My dad is a huge fan of Indian, Malay (he was in the Peace Corps in Malaysia for 3 years), Thai, and Chinese. food.

We live in Frederick, but are going to be down in Wheaton for a college ice hockey game. So we can pretty much go anywhere between here and there - preferably IN Wheaton since that's our final destination for the evening.

Any suggestions on where we could go? There will probably be 6 of us going.

TIA

Trying to find a new place (well, new to us) that serves fabulous ethnic food. My dad is a huge fan of Indian, Malay (he was in the Peace Corps in Malaysia for 3 years), Thai, and Chinese. food.

We live in Frederick, but are going to be down in Wheaton for a college ice hockey game. So we can pretty much go anywhere between here and there - preferably IN Wheaton since that's our final destination for the evening.

Any suggestions on where we could go? There will probably be 6 of us going.

TIA

I'm not sure where you've already been, but we've done Ruan Thai with 6 pple--probably best to get there early, though. And while not any of the cuisines you mentioned, Song Phat/Mi La Cay has a new menu and new chef/owners and is getting good reviews menu here. They can easily seat 6. Silver Spring proper has Mandalay, which is not too far away.

Those sound like good options. Do you happen to know of anyplace that prepares authentic Malay food? Their satays and curries are very different from Indonesian versions..

The obvious Malay restaurants that leap to mind are Malaysia Kopitiam downtown (north side of M St., near 19th), and the couple of locations of Penang...I suppose Bethesda would be nearest. I've found both to be enjoyable in the past, although Penang strays dangerously close to being overly polished for a broader audience.

The obvious Malay restaurants that leap to mind are Malaysia Kopitiam downtown (north side of M St., near 19th), and the couple of locations of Penang...I suppose Bethesda would be nearest. I've found both to be enjoyable in the past, although Penang strays dangerously close to being overly polished for a broader audience.

I agree with you about Penang. I haven't found their food to be terribly authentic. But the Roti Canai is really delicious and reminds me of the chicken curries we had in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Kopitiam is just a bit too far from where we need to be (Wheaton Ice Rink)..

I had a feeling that Malay food would be a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for the links. It sounds perfect - I'm sure my Dad will love it! Little brother is flying in from NH for the dinner, and he's a huge fan of Vietnamese as well. Living up in the frozen tundra, he doesn't have much access to great ethnic food (unless he goes into Boston). So I'm sure he will be happy happy happy...

Thanks for the links. It sounds perfect - I'm sure my Dad will love it! Little brother is flying in from NH for the dinner, and he's a huge fan of Vietnamese as well. Living up in the frozen tundra, he doesn't have much access to great ethnic food (unless he goes into Boston). So I'm sure he will be happy happy happy...

Where in NH? When I lived there (oof, what was that, almost 10 years ago), Manchester -- er, Manchvegas, as they say -- was a Vietnamese immigration hub. We had crappy pan-Asian, but decent Vietnamese! :angry:

Where in NH? When I lived there (oof, what was that, almost 10 years ago), Manchester -- er, Manchvegas, as they say -- was a Vietnamese immigration hub. We had crappy pan-Asian, but decent Vietnamese! :angry:

He lives in Amherst, NH - which I think is only about 30 minutes from Manchester. I had no idea it was a hub!