$20 Tuesday at Mi La Cay, Wheaton

DanielK

Well, if it weren't for the snow, I would have been back for a visit to the restaurant and spoken with the owners about the event. And I'm really wishing I was in walking distance, however, I do know that my FIL is already so stir crazy that we will probably be there this weekend!

So, just a tickler to be thinking of warm spicy food in this cold snowy blizzard. And don't forget to post in this thread if there is anything in particular one would like to see on the menu for the evening.

The countdown is on...one week until deliciousness! Seriously, this is a great opportunity for some good grub. The more the merrier, as we will be eating "family style."

Sorry you can't join us fuzzy510--maybe your boss won't miss you if you show up late? ;) We're at 10 right now, and don't forget, there are people available to pick up at Metro in case anyone needs a ride to the restaurant.

So any more takers? The more people we have the more dishes we can try! As an aside, tonight my dinner was leftover broth from my meal at Mi La Cay the other night, and it was just as good the second time around!

I moved away from Silver Spring just hours before the Snowpocalypse, but my taste buds long to be with you on March 2nd. Seriously, this is some great food at a very good price. I was having lunch there almost daily before the move and miss the place terribly--I think the folks who occupied the space before moving next door must have thought that I dropped of the face of the earth.

If anyone is sitting on the fence about signing up, don't hesitate to jump in. Enjoy!

Sorry you can't join us fuzzy510--maybe your boss won't miss you if you show up late? ;) We're at 10 right now, and don't forget, there are people available to pick up at Metro in case anyone needs a ride to the restaurant.

I'll have to see - I might be able to just come in to work earlier instead of staying later to get what needs to be done done.

I'll have to see - I might be able to just come in to work earlier instead of staying later to get what needs to be done done.

Well this may help entice you... ;)

Appetizers: Summer rolls and Beef wrapped in grape leaves

Salad: Chicken Salad

Soup: Vietnamese spicy hot and sour soup with shrimp

Main courses:

1. Stir-fried lemon-grass chicken

2. French-styled beef cubes marinated in whiskey and peppers

3. Grilled beef, pork, and chicken

4. Chicken fried rice with basil.

Remember, if anyone sees something on the menu you really want to try, let me know. This is the first draft suggested menu, and can be tweaked if we so desire. Additions welcomed--ideas and attendees both!

Well this may help entice you... ;)

Appetizers: Summer rolls and Beef wrapped in grape leaves

Salad: Chicken Salad

Soup: Vietnamese spicy hot and sour soup with shrimp

Main courses:

4. Chicken fried rice with basil.

Remember, if anyone sees something on the menu you really want to try, let me know. This is the first draft suggested menu, and can be tweaked if we so desire. Additions welcomed--ideas and attendees both!

Tweaked says, we seem to be a little heavy on beef and chicken. Anyone interested in...

Roast Duck Home Style Egg Noodle

Spicy Papaya Salad

Vietnamese Pancake

I don't have specific dish thoughts, but this menu seems a little bit "safe" to me. Don't these dishes seem like what the average person walking in off the street would order? And, only 4 main dishes for 10 people? I'd rather have smaller portions of more dishes.

Now, if this is what the owners say is the strength of their kitchen, I'm fine with it, but I'd be interested in dishes I can't get other places.

OK folks here is the second release of the attendees list for the March 2nd Dinner at Mi La Cay. Needless to say more are welcome.

danielk

heather

squidsdc

eroica 38 +1

deangold +1

fuzzy510 - maybe, boss cooperative

tweaked

xcanuck +1

dlebby +1

I did a recon of the place for lunch yesterday. Being alone I could only try one dish - Com Pan w/grilled pork and shrimp - it was excellent. A few years ago I spent a weekend in Saigon and this food was every bit as good.

The menu looks good and I too would love to see the Spicy Papaya Salad and Vietnamese Pancake.

The Roast Duck Home Style Egg Noodle is soup based and may be a problem to share family style, but let's ask.

BTW when I had lunch there yesterday I spoke with the chef and he is really psyched up about our event.

Looking forward to the dinner.

Alright, my work schedule isn't going to be fun, but I'll be able to make it (and frankly, I'd be pretty pissed if I missed this for work).

Regarding the menu, I agree that it looks a little safe, and I agree that not having a noodle dish on there is a mistake. With that said, I think there's something to be said for having a couple of safer options on the table.

So...I will be in DC next week for work, and I would really like to attend this event. Is there still room? Also, can someone cart me there or pick me up at a Metro station? If so, just let me know the timing of things - my work will be in the 18th and G area, and I'm staying at the Capital Hilton at 16th and K.

I hope we can make it work! Sounds delicious...

So...I will be in DC next week for work, and I would really like to attend this event. Is there still room? Also, can someone cart me there or pick me up at a Metro station? If so, just let me know the timing of things - my work will be in the 18th and G area, and I'm staying at the Capital Hilton at 16th and K.

I hope we can make it work! Sounds delicious...

There's room, squidsdc (at least) is coming from the city, they are 2 blocks from Wheaton Metro, and we'd love to have you!

There's room, squidsdc (at least) is coming from the city, they are 2 blocks from Wheaton Metro, and we'd love to have you!

Definitely! I drive down L street and pick up my hubby at 16th and L before we head home, so it will be no problem at all. Glad you can make it! PM me and we can exchange numbers and work out the details.

OK folks here is the third release of the attendees list for the March 2nd Dinner at Mi La Cay. Work, the curse of the leisure class, removed two. Then we had two additions. Looks like we are now 13. Needless to say more are welcome.

danielk

heather

squidsdc

eroica 38 +1

deangold +1

fuzzy510

tweaked

dlebby +1

bettyjoan

susan

Menu sounds great, looking forward to the dinner.

OK folks we are closing in on the attendees list for the March 2nd Dinner at Mi La Cay. We have had some new additions and due to work, health and family issues some deletions. Looks like we are now 15. Needless to say more are welcome, pls sign up today as the list closes this evening.

danielk +1

heather

squidsdc

eroica 38 +3

deangold

tweaked

dlebby +1

bettyjoan

susan

dsh10

Menu sounds great, looking forward to the dinner.

Menu update...There will tons of food!

Appetizers:

1. Summer rolls

2. Beef wrapped in grape leaves

Salad:

1. Chicken Salad

2. Spicy Papaya Salad

Soup:

1.Vietnamese spicy hot and sour soup with shrimp

2. Roast Duck Home Style Egg Noodle

Main courses:

4. Chicken fried rice with basil

5. Vietnamese Pancake

6. Thai-styled stir-fried noodle

7. Banh Hoi Nem Nuong

And I've been told there will also be a dessert ;)