Friday Happy Hours

mdt

In talking with some older members last week we were remembering the days when a group of folks were either at the bar in Firefly or Corduroy (old location) on Friday evenings. Times have changed here and new folks have come and some old ones have gone, but we were discussing how to try and restart these informal gatherings again as they became a good deal of fun.

My question is do folks have any interest in attending informal HHs or is there only interest in ones that are planned and coordinated with staff ahead of time?

If the former I say we kick off the first new informal HH at the original location, Firefly, and see what's up in the old haunt. I for one have not been in ages and am interested in what is going on there. Is Feb. 5th too soon? Is Feb. 12th good? What say you new and old members?

ETA: Actual Fridays in Feb! Doh!

In talking with some older members last week we were remembering the days when a group of folks were either at the bar in Firefly or Corduroy (old location) on Friday evenings. Times have changed here and new folks have come and some old ones have gone, but we were discussing how to try and restart these informal gatherings again as they became a good deal of fun.

My question is do folks have any interest in attending informal HHs or is there only interest in ones that are planned and coordinated with staff ahead of time?

If the former I say we kick off the first new informal HH at the original location, Firefly, and see what's up in the old haunt. I for one have not been in ages and am interested in what is going on there. Is Feb. 8th too soon? Is Feb. 15th too crazy? What say you new and old members?

I think the informal approach is better for a recurring Friday event,and I would definitely be interested. But for locale my personal preference would be for Corduroy or somewhere else downtownish, as getting across town from the Hill during rush hour is a nasty slog.

I think the informal approach is better for a recurring Friday event,and I would definitely be interested. But for locale my personal preference would be for Corduroy or somewhere else downtownish, as getting across town from the Hill during rush hour is a nasty slog.

Good info. I did not mean to imply that each Friday would be at Firefly, just the initial one. As things go on I am sure that a decent spot will sort itself as time goes one.

And those dates are both Mondays! :angry:

Thanks! Wow, forget to flip the calendar and look what happens. Dates have been corrected to be actual Fridays.

Informal. 2/5 isn't too soon, but it is too busy for me. 2/12 works better, depending on location (we have plans at 8:00). 2/19 family will either be in town (not good for me) or will have just left (and I'll be looking for a drink or two. Or five).

I think this is a great tradition to resurrect. It was nice to know that there was always someplace to go on a Friday for a drink, a nibble, and good company without having to herd cats and plan something. I didn't go each week, but I always enjoyed myself when I did.

Friday happy hours sound like fun to me. Definitely would be interested in trying Firefly for the first time, and after that last visit to Corduroy, I'd gladly return any day. But whatever the venue, it's simply fun to have a more loosely organized chance to meet up and hang out for a while available from week to week.

Personally, I don't think this Friday is too soon, nor should the weather be an impediment (as long as we pick some place Metro accessible). I know I'm going to need a drink this Friday, given the way the work week is going.

I am iffy for this Friday, but there is no need not to gather because of that. How about heading to Mio to check out Puerto Rican Friday?

Personally, I don't think this Friday is too soon, nor should the weather be an impediment (as long as we pick some place Metro accessible). I know I'm going to need a drink this Friday, given the way the work week is going.

Good luck with this

Alerts for Arlington County

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM FRIDAY TO 10 PM EST SATURDAY

Urgent - Winter Weather Message

National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC

959 AM EST Thu Feb 4 2010

District Of Columbia-Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-

Northern Baltimore-Harford-Montgomery-Howard-Southern Baltimore-

Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-Extreme Western Allegany-

Central And Eastern Allegany-Frederick VA-Clarke-Loudoun-

Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-

Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Northern Fauquier-

Southern Fauquier-Hampshire-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-

Western Mineral-Eastern Mineral-

Including The Cities Of, Washington, Hagerstown, Frederick,

Westminster, Gaithersburg, Columbia, Baltimore, Annapolis,

Frostburg, Cumberland, Winchester, Leesburg, Manassas,

Manassas Park, Fairfax, Alexandria, Falls Church, Warrenton,

Martinsburg, Charles Town, Emoryville, Hartmansville,

Keyser, Fort Ashby

, Winter Storm Warning In Effect From 10 AM Friday To 10 PM Est

Saturday,

The National Weather Service In Sterling Virginia Has Issued A

Winter Storm Warning For Heavy Snow With Near-Blizzard

Conditions, Which Is In Effect From 10 AM Friday To 10 PM Est

Saturday. The Winter Storm Watch Is No Longer In Effect.

* Precipitation Type, Heavy Snow.

* Accumulations, Storm Total Accumulations Of 16 To 24 Inches.

* Timing, Snow Will Begin Mid-Morning Friday, And Will Continue

Through Saturday Evening. Conditions Will Deteriorate Rapidly

Friday Afternoon, With Heaviest Snowfall Occurring Between

Sunset Friday To Sunrise Saturday. The Most Hazardous Winter

Weather Conditions Will Occur Friday Night, When The

Combination Of Heavy Snow And Strong Winds Will Reduce

Visibilities To Below One-Quarter Mile, Producing Near-Blizzard

Conditions.

* Temperatures, Highs In The Lower 30s Friday. Friday Night And

Saturday, Temperatures Will Be In The Mid 20s.

* Winds, Becoming Northeast 10 To 20 Mph Friday With Gusts To 30

Mph Friday Night And Saturday.

Precautionary/Preparedness Actions,

This Storm Has The Potential To Be Similar To The 19 December

Storm. Plan For Substantial Disruptions To Travel Friday Afternoon

Through The Weekend.

A Winter Storm Warning Means Significant Amounts Of Snow Are

Expected Or Occurring. Strong Winds Are Also Possible. This Will

Make Travel Very Hazardous Or Nearly Impossible Friday Night.

Good luck with this

For the record, not only did I make HH at Proof, but we went on to the Caps game afterwards. ;)

But, for the love of God, please get me out of my f**king house this Friday. Between i) Snowpocalypse 2.0, ii) a truly hellacious work week, and iii) the threat of even more snow on Monday, I think this Friday will be a perfect time for serious quantities of alcohol and good company.

To be honest, food isn't as important to me as friends and good booze (is that a sacrilegious thing to say on this board?). I'm jonesing for a good Tom/Derek Brown cocktail at The Passenger, or one of Adam's creations, but any of the places others have mentioned will work. Good company and a fine drink trumps many woes. Who's in?

For the record, not only did I make HH at Proof, but we went on to the Caps game afterwards. ;)

But, for the love of God, please get me out of my f**king house this Friday. Between i) Snowpocalypse 2.0, ii) a truly hellacious work week, and iii) the threat of even more snow on Monday, I think this Friday will be a perfect time for serious quantities of alcohol and good company.

To be honest, food isn't as important to me as friends and good booze (is that a sacrilegious thing to say on this board?). I'm jonesing for a good Tom/Derek Brown cocktail at The Passenger, or one of Adam's creations, but any of the places others have mentioned will work. Good company and a fine drink trumps many woes. Who's in?

Hell yes!

While I was one for heading to FF or somewhere else, The Passenger sounds good to me. Right on the metro and some damn good drinks. Not to mention that it puts us right near Corduroy...

Red line is running above ground. Finally. I plan on being at The Passenger by 5:30. I'll even wear something clean respectable in case we decide to go somewhere afterward.

I will be there around 530p too. Who else is coming? I am sure everyone could use a good drink about now.

FYI: Major delays expected on the Red Line due to train derailment at Farragut North. No ETA from WMATA on full resolution. (Use another route to get to the Yellow/Green if you can!)

ETA: Streets are all reopened for vehicle traffic.

Edited by leleboo

Farragut North station is opened again. Trains limited to 25 mph between Dupont and Farragut (so-says the statement), but the front-page of wmata.com says that the Red Line is running on time. So, it looks like the commuting won't be so bad.

I'll still be there. Busy deciding what flavors I want to ask for in order to receive some delicious creation.

Red line is running above ground. Finally. I plan on being at The Passenger by 5:30. I'll even wear something clean respectable in case we decide to go somewhere afterward.

Delighted to see everyone last night. For the record, if you order "something orange...oh, and spicy", an orange-inspired straight up Manhattan arrives, rich with allspice, the barest hint of clove, and the immediate inability to avoid intense worship.

Every time I leave The Passenger towards the bright and hollow sky, I make a mental note of what to try next time.

"Release the Kraken!"

All this talk lately of Againn makes me thirsty. Proof could call my name. Vidalia is always solid.

After having my phone stolen this morning, I really could use a drink. Unfortunately, I'll be spending my time talking to the Metro police (heh) and getting a new phone. Promise me you'll have one for me instead! ;)

After having my phone stolen this morning, I really could use a drink. Unfortunately, I'll be spending my time talking to the Metro police (heh) and getting a new phone. Promise me you'll have one for me instead! ;)

How frustrating. (Note to self - check that backup contacts list is up to date)

After having my phone stolen this morning, I really could use a drink. Unfortunately, I'll be spending my time talking to the Metro police (heh) and getting a new phone. Promise me you'll have one for me instead! :P

Sadly, this appears to be an all-too-common occurence. Who knew? ;)