Squid

Sthitch

The squid legs were medium sized fried 1 leg at a time and not a clump of squid legs like fried calamari. The legs were a little chewye, but I suspect that's how they're supposed to be. Nevertheless, I enjoyed them without the tartar sauce that came on the side.

They do not have to be chewy, the tentacles on the fried calamari plate at Blacksalt are quite tender. Also, at a tempura shop in Tokyo I had small fried squid that had very little chew. I have wondered if the chewiness comes from squid that have been frozen.

With squid, you can have them from raw to dried and a whole range of chewyness from none to tough. With a fried leg, I personally prefer it very tender but that's not to say a little chewy is wrong cause it might be intentional and that's how their Japanese clients like it (most of the clients were Japanese today). These legs were fried but with very little batter and the texture is almost like they were grilled. At least the flavor was good.

They do not have to be chewy, the tentacles on the fried calamari plate at Blacksalt are quite tender. Also, at a tempura shop in Tokyo I had small fried squid that had very little chew. I have wondered if the chewiness comes from squid that have been frozen.

The rings on the Calamari pizza at Willow are like this. They were so tender and lacking in any sort of rubbery chew that unless you looked at them you wouldn't guess they were squid.

The rings on the Calamari pizza at Willow are like this. They were so tender and lacking in any sort of rubbery chew that unless you looked at them you wouldn't guess they were squid.

The key to squid is that you either cook it for a very short time--until it has just turned opaque, or for a very long time. Chewy is what happens between those two time frames.