Pre-Snowpocalypse Happy Hour

Flavortown

Talk of restarting the Friday Happy Hour tradition, and the impending snow, have wrought inspiration: it's thursday, but why not have a happy hour tonight, prior to battening down the hatches and hiding from the snowpocalypse?

Vidalia's the place, since I figure it's a convenient middle ground for most people.

Any takers?

After the last time I had a Hell burger, I told myself I'd never pay for a burger in any "fancy" restaurant again. I figured the $15 + price tag could never be warranted when the best burger I'd ever had couldbe gotten for $8. I was wrong: the Vidalia burger, with fried onion strings, foie gras mustard, and cheddar (I'm pretty sure), at about $16, was worth every penny. Served medium rare, with a giant pile of those onion strings right ontop of the patty, it was extremely juicy and flavorful. And while the meat had that fantastic looseness that makes you realize exactly how similar some burgers are to hockey pucks, the bun contained it well, and the onion strings offered some nice crunch. Even though stuffed, I honestly wanted to order another to go (I'd split the first one with a friend -- i'm no a complete glutton).

Other awesome dishes included the gratis pickled vegetables, the pancetta and caramelized onion socca, and the Reuben, lifted from the pig and pinot menu, now full sized and composed of sturdier bread plus the same awesome pork. The arrancini paled in comparison to these other, stellar dishes (as well as their price tag), but otherwise the food was great. The company was too, even though not too many people turned out.

At any rate, I can now be content hiding from the snow in my dorm for the next few days. And after that, I'm going to get another burger.

After the last time I had a Hell burger, I told myself I'd never pay for a burger in any "fancy" restaurant again. I figured the $15 + price tag could never be warranted when the best burger I'd ever had couldbe gotten for $8. I was wrong: the Vidalia burger, with fried onion strings, foie gras mustard, and cheddar (I'm pretty sure), at about $16, was worth every penny. Served medium rare, with a giant pile of those onion strings right ontop of the patty, it was extremely juicy and flavorful. And while the meat had that fantastic looseness that makes you realize exactly how similar some burgers are to hockey pucks, the bun contained it well, and the onion strings offered some nice crunch. Even though stuffed, I honestly wanted to order another to go (I'd split the first one with a friend -- i'm no a complete glutton).

Other awesome dishes included the gratis pickled vegetables, the pancetta and caramelized onion socca, and the Reuben, lifted from the pig and pinot menu, now full sized and composed of sturdier bread plus the same awesome pork. The arrancini paled in comparison to these other, stellar dishes (as well as their price tag), but otherwise the food was great. The company was too, even though not too many people turned out.

At any rate, I can now be content hiding from the snow in my dorm for the next few days. And after that, I'm going to get another burger.

Vidalia's burger is no slouch, I'm a fan too.