What to do WITH Snow

marketfan

Snow cones, maple syrup candy come to mind.

But what I have been doing with the 2 feet of snow in my little yard is....cooling soup and stews. I love it. I have been making gallons of stocks and soups and stews and as soon as they are done, I bury them in a mound of clean snow. They cool in minutes. Cold enough to skim the fast congealing fat. Cool enough, fast enough to satisfy any health rules. This is a pleasure that I have never had before because I do not have or want an icemaker and, dare I admit it, never fill a sink with ice to cool down stock before refrigerating it.....

But what I have been doing with the 2 feet of snow in my little yard is....cooling soup and stews. I love it. I have been making gallons of stocks and soups and stews and as soon as they are done, I bury them in a mound of clean snow. They cool in minutes. Cold enough to skim the fast congealing fat. Cool enough, fast enough to satisfy any health rules. This is a pleasure that I have never had before because I do not have or want an icemaker and, dare I admit it, never fill a sink with ice to cool down stock before refrigerating it.....

I always use the outdoors as a "walk-out" refrigerator, during the cold months--securing the tops of pots against marauding raccoons. I also do not have an icemaker, so do not usually have the ability to fill a sink with ice. When I want to cool down a pot of something quickly, I put ice cubes in a zip lock bag, and put the bag of ice right into the pot. That way, it cools from the inside, rather than the outside of the pot--a much more efficient use of ice.

Brilliant! I'm going to do this!

Make a simple sugar syrup and add your favorite flavors to make an adult snowcone. Your favorite liquour will also work. We're going for a green tea shaved ice today, but you need powdered green tea to get the full effect. You're going to layer snow, green tea infused syrup, and the powdered green tea.

Thanks again for posting this. I have a big ol' pot of turkey stock cooling in the nearest snow bank right now.

By coincidence, I saw two different mentions of snow cream yesterday, first on Todd Kliman's chat and then in the online Post. I'd never heard of it before and figured this was some kind of sign ;). I decided to give it a try. I've got a batch freezing right now (eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla, maple syrup, pinch of salt). It tasted great going into the freezer, so I have reasonably high hopes, even though I had no idea of proportions.

Todd's chatter gave this description:

Tonight I am going to make well on the old adage of turning lemons into lemonade by turning snow into...snow cream!

I haven't had it in ages and just remembered it. You can't make it with the first few snows, as you need a few to clean the air and ensure you are using pure (as possible) snow. So now is certainly the time.

There are many variations on the recipe, but I think they are all fairly similar: - Snow - Sugar - Vanilla extract (or almond - yum!) - Milk/cream/half and half/sweetened condensed milk Put aluminum bowl out when it first starts to snow. Add milk or cream, vanilla and sugar to taste, mix very well and add mixture to snow to taste. Put the mixture in the freezer and take it out every now and then to stir it up some so it won't become a solid block of ice. Then eat it! I don't think you can really mess this up. Kids will love it. I'm also looking at my bar and trying to determine if mixing in a good bourbon would work.

Todd's chat

Post article

A Recipe For Clearing The Streets

(redistribution into the atmosphere)

1) Cram 5 lbs of it up your bum

2) Sit on a Bunsen burner

3) Do your best imitation of a steam whistle

That would have been a good answer to a question that someone just asked Governor Martin O'Malley at a press conference about "where to shove and pile the snow"....

I'm not sure the Governor answered the question, but he did say that Maryland would be in a state of emergency for the forseeable future. When it will end? I have tons of food, heat, and power,but am suffering snow fatigue.