Vidalia, Restaurateur Jeff Buben's 20th and M Streets Southern-American Downtown on 20th and M Street - Chef Jayro Cruz Replaces Hamilton Johnson - Closed

Inauguration Will Close Area Bridges to Most Vehicles

Restaurants and hotels in that area have been preparing plans to bring in supplies and get their employees to work. At Vidalia restaurant on 19th Street, executive chef R. J. Cooper said employees have been instructed to take Metro and to leave an extra hour for travel.

The restaurant is stocking up on supplies by purchasing its farm-fresh produce on Saturday and Sunday and working with fishmongers along the eastern seaboard to get deliveries through Monday evening before midnight. Cooper and the restaurant's general manager Michael Nevarez, both of whom live in Virginia, will be sleeping overnight at the restaurant. Getting to downtown Washington by car from Virginia "is going to be a mess," he said.

Wow. That's COMMITMENT!

Although, you'd think a motorcycle would have no trouble weaving in and out through tourists...

• Like 1

Lunch yesterday with friends from out of town. We took Vidalia up on their "anniversary special" of three courses for $19.99, which is a seriously good deal. Slightly smaller portions than the a la carte servings, but plenty of food. Jonathan had wonderful lobster bisque as a starter and then shrimp and grits as his main. I had a terrific charcuterie plate, which included wild hare sausage, some pate de foie gras and venison terrine with a nifty little tangle of pickled hungarian pepper and onion and some gelee (? blood orange) and house made crackers. I followed that with the lobster roll--my only quibble was that there was a bit too much onion, which overwhelmed the sweetness of the lobster. Our friends, who are a retired physician and a nutritionist, had "healthier" vegetable first courses, and then shrimp/grits and scallops as their mains. I did hear a bit of a gripe that the "caramelized fennel" didn't seem caramelized. Otherwise, we were really happy. Desserts were lemon chess pie, which I have dearly loved since my first Vidalia visit many years ago, a mini brownie with smoked peanut ice cream and meringue, and a poached pear.

RJ stopped to chat and revealed that he won't have to sleep on a banquette in the restaurant on Monday night, after all. A client who will be out of town has offered his snazzy apartment to RJ, though unfortunately no access to his 100-point wine collection.

Afterwards, we walked down M Street to the National Geographic building to see the exhibit of Jonathan's art that opened in the M St. gallery (between 16th and 17th) on Wednesday. The show will be up until the end of May, and it's free, if you get a chance to go see it. Here's more info:

http://events.nationalgeographic.com/event...-north-america/

We had a lovely RW dinner here. This was our first time to Vidalia, and it did not disappoint. The standout dish of our meal was the crispy pig tails...they were slow-roasted, and then pulled. Then, it was breaded (or something a home cook like me might mistake for breaded) and fried, to create a crispy, golden-brown crust, the size and shape of a small, picturesque egg roll. When I cut into it, the inside was all wonderfully flavorful pulled pork. Wow.

I have dined at Vidalia on different occasions, and I have to say my most recent visit was certainly my last. This is very sad considering how my first few trips were quite impressive--especially the Crab Cakes, Five Onion Soup with Duck Confit, and Pecan Tart were very memorable. Unfortunately, the decline on the successive visits were as steep as the drop of financial stocks. A fellow foodie friend's face showed absolute disgust when I even mentioned the restaurant by name in a casual conversation--he had a (epically) bad experience as well :rolleyes: .

On my last visit, the food was absolutely horrible. The only thing decent was the cornbread. The Chesapeake Crab Buster Chowder had wonderful jumbo lump meat, but the soup was so heavy (basically pink colored heavy cream) that the result was 1st degree homicide of such high quality crab.

The Shrimp & Grits had not-so-big shrimp with what basically amounted to a melted block of butter deemed "grits." I love the taste of butter, but this was ridiculous! If I wanted so-so shrimp with a hunk of butter mixed with some heavy cream, I could have made the same thing--except a fraction of the price and calories but a million times better in taste.

The kiss-of-death came with dessert, the Vanilla Cake and espresso. The " Vanilla Cake" was basically a cold block of sweetened butter. Again, I love butter but expect to eat more than a stick of it for dessert at a fine dining establishment such as Vidalia. I am quite tolerant of a diner, as this was the first time ever that I had to have a dish sent back to the kitchen.

When I had the cake substituted with the Lemon Tart, the result was similar "shock and awe." My sour-food tolerance is very high--I enjoy eating a slice of lemon (not Meyer) every now and then--but even still, I could not withstand the tongue-destroying tang of the grossly understated moniker "Lemon Tart."

Unfortunately, the espresso could not save me from the blast of fat from the Vanilla Cake or the taste bud-searing Lemon Tart because the espresso tasted like someone washed a coffee filter through with lukewarm water. I brought this to the attention of my waiter, who patiently tried a few times to bring out something that had at least the amount of taste as a thin cup of Joe but to no avail.

The bottom line is that I had only a handful other meals as regretfully bad as I had recently at Vidalia (I was tempted to include Pasta Plus, but it was so beneath the others that I choose not to even put it in this unceremonious list): Galileo, Colorado Kitchen, and Gerard Pangaud Bistro.

What do all three of them have in common (aside from the unjustified, snobby, and atrocious service as well as the rip-off pricing)? All three restaurants are closed.

I have dined at Vidalia on different occasions, and I have to say my most recent visit was certainly my last. This is very sad considering how my first few trips were quite impressive--especially the Crab Cakes, Five Onion Soup with Duck Confit, and Pecan Tart were very memorable.

By the way, does anyone know about a Scott (redhead?) who used to work at Vidalia several years ago? He was our impeccable server on our first and most positively memorable experience at Vidalia.

What do all three of them have in common (aside from the unjustified, snobby, and atrocious service as well as the rip-off pricing)? All three restaurants are closed.
Could you be a bit more dramatic? I'm not sure I can tell how you really feel about this place...

I do not think Vidalia is in any danger of closing, no matter how determined you are to not return and to harshly criticize them here. They were #7 in the most recent Washingtonian's ranking of best restaurants in town and they were the highest ranked restaurant that does not impose a prix fixe in all of Washington.

Galileo, Colorado Kitchen, and Gerard Pangaud Bistro.

I don't remember the reason for Gerard's closing, but Galileo and CK both closed because their landlords renovated their buildings and evicted them, not because of a lack of patrons due to food or service issues. Whether or not they had issues, that just wasn't the reason they closed, as your post implies.

I don't remember the reason for Gerard's closing, but Galileo and CK both closed because their landlords renovated their buildings and evicted them, not because of a lack of patrons due to food or service issues. Whether or not they had issues, that just wasn't the reason they closed, as your post implies.
I can't say I was a fan of Galileo (not the Lab) prior to its closing and CK never floated my boat (but really that's all about me). Gerard's restaurant disappointed more often than not, sadly because the shimmer of deliciousness remained evident in may dishes but never broke through to the surface regularly enough to risk my budget.

My most recent meals at Vidalia have not disappointed at all, most have consisted of bar eating not table service. I didn't detect the over butterfication mentioned in an earlier post. I have not been blown away by the wines available by the glass at the bar btw. But I generally drink crappy wine so ymmv.

lots of stuff in bold and italics.

You're new here, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I know nothing of how frequently you've dined out and how many times you've dined at a given establishment. However, all of your posts so far have dealt in extreme absolutes and sweeping generalizations and I'm not sure its possible for something as nuanced as fine dining to be painted in black and white, as you seem to have a predilection for.

I think its worth reading through the threads prior to going to an establishment to get an idea of what to expect and then comparing your experience to what others have said. Your meal may have very well been an anomaly. I certainly have enjoyed my meals at Vidalia in the past (I remember the shrimp in the shrimp & grits as being rather substantial, in particular) and I have experience excellent service in the past.

Word is bond.

I have dined at Vidalia on different occasions, and I have to say my most recent visit was certainly my last. This is very sad considering how my first few trips were quite impressive--especially the Crab Cakes, Five Onion Soup with Duck Confit, and Pecan Tart were very memorable. Unfortunately, the decline on the successive visits were as steep as the drop of financial stocks. A fellow foodie friend's face showed absolute disgust when I even mentioned the restaurant by name in a casual conversation--he had a (epically) bad experience as well :rolleyes: .

On my last visit, the food was absolutely horrible. The only thing decent was the cornbread. The Chesapeake Crab Buster Chowder had wonderful jumbo lump meat, but the soup was so heavy (basically pink colored heavy cream) that the result was 1st degree homicide of such high quality crab.

The Shrimp & Grits had not-so-big shrimp with what basically amounted to a melted block of butter deemed "grits." I love the taste of butter, but this was ridiculous! If I wanted so-so shrimp with a hunk of butter mixed with some heavy cream, I could have made the same thing--except a fraction of the price and calories but a million times better in taste.

The kiss-of-death came with dessert, the Vanilla Cake and espresso. The " Vanilla Cake" was basically a cold block of sweetened butter. Again, I love butter but expect to eat more than a stick of it for dessert at a fine dining establishment such as Vidalia. I am quite tolerant of a diner, as this was the first time ever that I had to have a dish sent back to the kitchen.

When I had the cake substituted with the Lemon Tart, the result was similar "shock and awe." My sour-food tolerance is very high--I enjoy eating a slice of lemon (not Meyer) every now and then--but even still, I could not withstand the tongue-destroying tang of the grossly understated moniker "Lemon Tart."

Unfortunately, the espresso could not save me from the blast of fat from the Vanilla Cake or the taste bud-searing Lemon Tart because the espresso tasted like someone washed a coffee filter through with lukewarm water. I brought this to the attention of my waiter, who patiently tried a few times to bring out something that had at least the amount of taste as a thin cup of Joe but to no avail.

The bottom line is that I had only a handful other meals as regretfully bad as I had recently at Vidalia (I was tempted to include Pasta Plus, but it was so beneath the others that I choose not to even put it in this unceremonious list): Galileo, Colorado Kitchen, and Gerard Pangaud Bistro.

+1 for this report not making mention of some obscure sushi joint in far-flung Maryland. I have to ask - did you speak with anyone at the restaurant about your displeasure at the time? Did you send any of the dishes back? Obviously, you walked away unsatisfied, but in my experiences at Vidalia (probably over five years, multiple visits a year), I haven't had a meal like the one you describe above.

Geez, snark much people? Although you may not agree with this poster, he or she has done exactly what we excoriate others for not doing -- giving specifics about what he or she didn't like about specific dishes or other issues, mentioning things that he or she did like about the dishes or other issues, and mentioning that they had notified their server about the problems they were experiencing. Feel free to share your positive experiences about Vidalia -- and I know there have been many! -- but why attack a poster who has done nothing wrong but to share -- apparently without bias -- a bad experience at a restaurant?

By the way, does anyone know about a Scott (redhead?) who used to work at Vidalia several years ago? He was our impeccable server on our first and most positively memorable experience at Vidalia.

Please call the restaurant.. Please ask for Mike Nevarez or Myself. We would love to discuss this with you on a forum that would be positive.

Geez, snark much people? Although you may not agree with this poster, he or she has done exactly what we excoriate others for not doing -- giving specifics about what he or she didn't like about specific dishes or other issues, mentioning things that he or she did like about the dishes or other issues, and mentioning that they had notified their server about the problems they were experiencing. Feel free to share your positive experiences about Vidalia -- and I know there have been many! -- but why attack a poster who has done nothing wrong but to share -- apparently without bias -- a bad experience at a restaurant?

This has never come to my attention!!!!!!

Please call the restaurant.. Please ask for Mike Nevarez or Myself. We would love to discuss this with you on a forum that would be positive.
And this is one reason why so many love Vidalia -- I think there probably aren't a lot of other places that would do this.

[The above post was from a RESTAURANT WEEK meal in 2007. This is worse than incompetent - it's disingenuous and agenda-driven.]

I would like to thank a vary special cook, chef and friend that has been extremely close to me over the last four and a half years. Harper McClure.

He came to me on a cold November morning asking for a job in dress slacks and black leather shoes. I gave him an apron, said lets go and from that moment we have been together.

He has grown from a good cook to a great chef, husband and friend over the years. His departure this Saturday to a great restaurant in Atlanta ends an era for me. He is the last cook, chef that helped me win the Beard award and he one day will walk across that stage.

Good luck my friend and Bacchanalia has gained a fantastic addition

There's a burger now. An INSANELY GOOD burger. Short loin, 90/10, aged 45 days. Served on a broiche roll with gouda, bacon, and housemade catsup. Better than Central or Hellburger, IMO, and not only because it's two blocks from my office.

Going for lunch today for this:t_VidaliaCharm_ebd269d.jpg

There's a burger now. An INSANELY GOOD burger. Short loin, 90/10, aged 45 days. Served on a broiche roll with gouda, bacon, and housemade catsup. Better than Central or Hellburger, IMO, and not only because it's two blocks from my office.

Going for lunch today for this:t_VidaliaCharm_ebd269d.jpg

I had both of these (butcher board and burger) for lunch yesterday and was in glorious food coma heaven afterwards. With all due respect to Proof and Palena, Vidalia has IMO the best board in DC. Soppressata, dried merguez, tete de cochon, a healthy slab of foie, chicken liver pate, dried aged wagyu, sweetbread pate, pig head salami, blood sausage pate, and various smears of mustards and piles of candied fruits for a bargain basement price of $17. It took me and my co-worker 25 minutes to finish this monster, with ear-to-ear grins on our faces for the entirety. The stars were surprisingly not the pig, but the wagyu, dried merguez, chicken liver, and of course the foie. If you do go and order this, you will need to share, as I wasn't particularly hungry for my burger until I cut into it. The cross section looked like a work of art. Perfectly medium rare, with a layer of onion rings, chips of bacon, a great gouda and spicy housemade ketchup. When I read Heather's post above about it being better than RHB, I thought 'blasphemer!'. She was right. This is the best burger I have had in DC outside of Palena, which still gets the nod only because I love their brioche.

While we were mulling over dessert options, RJ brought us out what he thought we should have to finish our meal, the Pork Grinder. Vidalia's getting it right where the Italian Store falls short; on the roll. The housemade bread is soft but dense enough and providing the stability that a "wet" sandwich like the traditional Italian needs. I was happy he brought this out, even if I was too full to eat more than a couple bites, because I know now where to get my Italian hoagie fix, as Italian Store and Taylor's just weren't quite cutting it.

At this point, we were about as overfed (and overdrunk :rolleyes: ) as two humans can be without being comatose or sick, but we were still convinced to order desserts, the Lemon Chess Pie and the White Chocolate Blondie. The chess pie was good, although I would prefer a more tart lemon flavor in it. The blondie, however, was outstanding. Not at all what I was expecting, basically a hamburger like structure with a slow baked meringue that has the texture of whipped cream on top, a layer of smoked peanut (!) ice cream in the middle, and the nice crunchy blondie cookie on the bottom. As if this wasn't enough, a streak of salted caramel covered the diameter of the large bowl, a must dip in every bite if you get this dessert at Vidalia.

I don't know if people are going and not posting about it, but I encourage everyone to stop in if you're in the immediate area for lunch. The dining room was about 60% full and the bar was close to empty for the 2 hours we were in yesterday. Go support RJ and his staff, it would be a shame if more places like this started closing their doors for lunch like Corduroy did because people are not coming out during the day.

The cross section looked like a work of art. Perfectly medium rare, with a layer of onion rings, chips of bacon, a great gouda and spicy housemade ketchup. When I read Heather's post above about it being better than RHB, I thought 'blasphemer!'. She was right. This is the best burger I have had in DC outside of Palena, which still gets the nod only because I love their brioche.
Vidalia's onion roll is nothing to sneeze at. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the onion straws. RJ called me out for trying to take them off and eat them separately, so I dutifully piled them back on my burger before cutting into it. He was right, of course.

Waitman and I had lunch there Wednesday. The butcher's board was every bit as good as it looked, but our second course was good enough to make us ask for the recipe. Gnocchi, morels, bacon, peas, favas, onions, and ramps, with a very little creamy sauce on the bottom of the bowl. I'm making it for Easter dinner on Sunday.

Going back tonight for another burger...

Gnocchi, morels, bacon, peas, favas, onions, and ramps, with a very little creamy sauce on the bottom of the bowl. I'm making it for Easter dinner on Sunday.

Going back tonight for another burger...

Would you please ask RJ where he got the Fava's?

Would you please ask RJ where he got the Fava's?

Right now favas are not local. We are buying them from the Santa Monica Market. Thank goodness we are 3 hours a head so i can get sleep instead of purchasing at the early hours of the morning. They are extremely tender and flavorful. Spring is supposed to be HERE and its cold again.

Went to Vidalia tonight, after a long hiatus. It has always been a classic with chef Buben cracking the whip and R.J. being the muscle-enforcer-entertainer, and Mike not missing a beat on the floor. I have to release the disclaimer tha I have been a fan and a friend for a long time. However, with the new menu unveiled this week... they are a force to reckon with.

If you can, or are allowed to eat pork... you will be in hog heaven, (or hell depending on your set of beliefs). Pork in every shape

They also brought back some of the original southern style dishes that are so down to earth. The wine selections and execution of food-wine-and-timing was "muy suave-like butter". BTW, the cheese selection has always been on of the best in the city. Musky, stinky, ripe, tangy, and well... smelly. That's how I like it. I will go to bed a happy man.

We've been going to Vidalia more and more lately, mainly because of their fantastic lunch deal ($19.90 for a three course tasting) and think its turning out some of the best food in the city right now. Saturday night was a slightly more expensive outing as 8 of us tried the tasting menu but boy oh boy was it worth it. Service was impeccable and Chef RJ tolerated some food allergies with grace and humor. We had some interesting wines including a first for us: a wine (syrah I think) from Brazil.

Anyway the food was dynamite. Highlights for me were the wild garlic soup with morels and foie gras, the shrimp and grits (as good as ever) and one of the best desserts I have had in months. Of course, true to form I can't remember exactly what it was but it involved frozen chocolate mouse topped with a piece of lightly toasted marshmallow. I'm not doing it justice but for chocolate lovers and sweet tooths in general its a must and I hope they put it on the regular dessert menu as I think it was a special.

BTW, the cheese selection has always been on of the best in the city. Musky, stinky, ripe, tangy, and well... smelly. That's how I like it. I will go to bed a happy man.

The cheese selection is very good, but on Sat night they committed the cardinal sin (for this cheese-obsessed Irishman at least) of listing Crozier Blue's provenance as the United Kingdom. Tsk, tsk! :D

We've been going to Vidalia more and more lately, mainly because of their fantastic lunch deal ($19.90 for a three course tasting) and think its turning out some of the best food in the city right now. Saturday night was a slightly more expensive outing as 8 of us tried the tasting menu but boy oh boy was it worth it. Service was impeccable and Chef RJ tolerated some food allergies with grace and humor. We had some interesting wines including a first for us: a wine (syrah I think) from Brazil.

Anyway the food was dynamite. Highlights for me were the wild garlic soup with morels and foie gras, the shrimp and grits (as good as ever) and one of the best desserts I have had in months. Of course, true to form I can't remember exactly what it was but it involved frozen chocolate mouse topped with a piece of lightly toasted marshmallow. I'm not doing it justice but for chocolate lovers and sweet tooths in general its a must and I hope they put it on the regular dessert menu as I think it was a special.

frozen marble mousse

graham cracker-chocolate crunch, marshmallow, root beer essence

Your people did a great job. Mike did his usual great job with the wines and selected the food for us...some great seafood you have there. Larry was on top of everything and got everything to us with totally perfect timing. Hope your dinner went as well as ours...The oysters and clams were excellent. The octopus with the wagyu pepperoni was just amazing.

Your people did a great job. Mike did his usual great job with the wines and selected the food for us...some great seafood you have there. Larry was on top of everything and got everything to us with totally perfect timing. Hope your dinner went as well as ours...The oysters and clams were excellent. The octopus with the wagyu pepperoni was just amazing.

Ty we have a great team of professional cooks and servers that whent they are on their game I wouldn't trade them for any others.

The pepperoni is one of those great ideas that actually worked extremely well. Happy belated birthday and again we are bith aging well like burgundy

I can't believe that I am going to say this, because RJ and I are having a little lover's quarrel, but I had the extraordinary pleasure of dining at Vidalia last week at the Heart's Delight Sauturnes dinner. And RJ went waaaaaaaaaay out over the diving board. Five courses paired with Sauternes and not a single mis-step. It is the best meal I have had at Vidalia in ages and one of the best food/wine experiences I can recount. RJ deftly stepped up his game and brought the crowd to their feet. The cooking was brilliant. And despite RJ's love (or lack of it) for me - he was masterful. :(

So - Vidalia is alive and well.

And RJ can finally let me out of the box :blink:

Scott your hockey season is done here is DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all I have for you now is love.

I really hate the Red Wings, no matter how you cook them :D

The wine from Brazil was the Miolo, Quinta do Seival which is made from three different port grapes.

Ed

The lunch deal is quite swell. Portions are modest, which I like for a midweek lunch, but extremely tasty, and the whole menu is available.

And I had an excellent Cubano, today, a sandwich that more than carried me through the afternoon.

After many years of wanting to visit Vidalia, I finally had the opportunity last night to go with my BF to celebrate our first anniversary. Over 12 hours after leaving the restaurant, I'm still stuffed.

Since we were out celebrating, we decided to try the 5-course tasting menu. Despite feeling like I was going to burst all night last night, I was really happy with our decision. The meal started off with a delicious amuse from the chef that included 3 little bites. One was a cheese puff with a gooey burst of cheese in the center (a pleasant surprise!). The second was a small bit of olive oil cake/bread topped with I believe anchovy and parm. It was a smidge too fishy for my taste, but a small bit was good. The last part of the plate was probably my favorite. It was a cool cucumber soup that I could've eaten a whole bowl of. So fresh and springy, it was a great introduction to the restaurant. The bread basket was of course stellar with buttery parker rolls, dense cornbread and onion focaccia served with soft butter and onion marmalade.

I ordered the foie gras torchon for my cold app and discovered that I don't think I love foie (gasp!). I was excited to try it, but it was a little much for me, although I did like the pistachio crust that added a little salt and crunch. The +1 had the tuna which was four generous bites of raw yellowtail each topped with a different flavor (fennel, lemon, melon cilantro and one other), which he loved.

Both of our hot appetizers were amazing. They were similar, yet each with unique flavors. One fava bean agnolotti with rabbit bacon and garlic with a mushroom emulsion. The other a hen egg ravioli with bacon, peas and morels. I would 100% order both again. Tender fresh pasta with delicious bacony smokiness.

Fish courses were dover sole with fresh chickpeas and some sort of meyer lemon sauce and the infamous shrimp and grits. The grits were certainly some of the creamiest I've ever had. I would've liked a little bit more andouille on my plate, but all in all a good dish. However, I was a bit envious of both the halibut and crab cakes I saw going to a couple other tables. The sole was delicious, and the sauce poured on top was so good the +1 was using his spoon to slurp it up like soup.

For meat I had the pork belly and it was probably one of the best and most tender preparations I've had. I didn't care for the "cornbread" it was served on top of (sort of had the texture of paste), but the belly itself was beyond awesome and so rich. I was stuffed a this point, but had to power through. There was a little bulb of young roasted garlic on the plate that was good smeared on top. The BF had the beef short loin, and while he said the beef was good, if generic, the marrow fritters served alongside were worth ordering the dish again. The bite I had would lead me to concur.

Finally we managed to squeeze in dessert with the famous lemon chess pie and a strawberry shortcake. I can't believe I managed to eat as much of my dessert as I did, but it was so good I couldn't stop. Although we were sure we couldn't fit another bite, we did manage to fit a couple of the tiny candy bites brought around with the check. The small red velvet cake was certainly the winner, but chocolate and peanut butter truffle was also good as was the surprising bubble gum flavored marshmallow (tasted like edible gum!).

While certainly not a cheap night out, I would definitely recommend Vidalia for a special occasion. I didn't note our anniversary when I made the reservation, but the couple next to us was celebrating 8 years and received a keepsake menu to take home and had "Happy Anniversary" on their dessert and someone nearby celebrating a birthday also got a special menu and dessert. Nice touches from the waitstaff.

Interesting fact: Vidalia (of all places) has the best pizza crust in DC. 'No way!', you say? It shouldn't be a surprise considering RJ is using Roberto Donna's recipe for the dough. What is surprising is that Vidalia executes said recipe better than RD ever did at Bebo.... :D

What everyone seriously needs to do is to get to Vidalia as soon as possible and avail themselves of the three course lunch special. $19.90 for some of the best and most beautiful food I have had in a while. Drink well and tip generously to assuage the guilt you will be feeling for such a ridiculous steal.

What everyone seriously needs to do is to get to Vidalia as soon as possible and avail themselves of the three course lunch special. $19.90 for some of the best and most beautiful food I have had in a while. Drink well and tip generously to assuage the guilt you will be feeling for such a ridiculous steal.

Excellent tip, danke.

In other Vidalia news: City Paper Sugar Toad Story

Perhaps I can ask for it anyway and stage a comeback.

Excellent tip, danke.

In other Vidalia news: City Paper Sugar Toad Story

Perhaps I can ask for it anyway and stage a comeback.

Wow thanks for the thread, didnt know he would write that so quickly. Sugar Toads should arrive again tomorrow. Simply done with lemon basil aioli, battered in belgin beer!!!!!!!!!

Have a great Father's Day weekend.

p.s. ziebold has them as well!!! (from us to him with love)

After all these years I'd expect people around here to follow Michael's orders a bit better. Lunch today at the bar there were just two random Dr.com'ers, enjoying what should be the worst kept secret in the city.

I started with a cold cucumber soup with nori, salmon tartar and a roe of some sort. This bowl rivaled any you will find at Palena or Corduroy. Next came the Vidalia crab cake with sweet corn-tasso maque choux, spring onions, crab roe butter. Dessert was one of the best creme brulees I have had in a long, long time with sorbet and peach. I usually avoid creme brulee because it can be a heavy dessert but this was light and delicious. All this in less than an hour for less than $20.

Like many today I am struggling to find a balance between living within a shrinking budget and fufilling my need for food that restores my hope in the world. Lunch today did just that.

After all these years I'd expect people around here to follow Michael's orders a bit better. Lunch today at the bar there were just two random Dr.com'ers, enjoying what should be the worst kept secret in the city.

I started with a cold cucumber soup with nori, salmon tartar and a roe of some sort. This bowl rivaled any you will find at Palena or Corduroy. Next came the Vidalia crab cake with sweet corn-tasso maque choux, spring onions, crab roe butter. Dessert was one of the best creme brulees I have had in a long, long time with sorbet and peach. I usually avoid creme brulee because it can be a heavy dessert but this was light and delicious. All this in less than an hour for less than $20.

Like many today I am struggling to find a balance between living within a shrinking budget and fufilling my need for food that restores my hope in the world. Lunch today did just that.

Thank you for the kind words. Even with economy we still try and source the best products to produce for our guests. Its good to know that the team is doing well while im on vacation. The cucumber soup is an off shoot of a salad my mother made growing up. vidalias cucumbers sugar salt a champagne vinegar let stand 3 hours and puree with buttermilk and sheeps yogurt. Love it, the roe is smoked steelhead, the crackers are a squid ink melba.

For this part of the summer we wanted to reintroduce some classic desserts, again with the economy people are looking for familiar foods, the brulee is one that we worked hard on for a sautern dinner for hearts delight and kept because Sara and I liked to eat it and the flavors, the lilly pilly sorbet is so refreshing and counter balances the richness of the brulee.

Thanks again for supporting us and local restaurants, that what real sustainability means!!!!!

I am enjoying A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes by David Tanis who spends half the year as chef at Chez Panisse and the other half creating simple, beautiful meals in Paris.

You know this already, but I'll say it anyway: central to the kind of cooking it represents is the idea that ingredients inspire the meal. It's hard to think of any cuisine in which that isn't true, but California gets a lot of credit for dishes that do as little as possible to enhance the flavors of perfect, fresh foods and seasonal menus whose courses build upon one another.

Given the length of California's growing season and the role the state plays in feeding the rest of the country, produce rules. As I write, all these qualifications and exceptions come to mind, but look at the title Tanis chose for his book. Think of Alice Waters and salads of tender, organic leaves. David Mas Masumoto and the peaches he grows. Cultish? Councils of the Byzantine Empire had a problem with icons because the distinction between venerating images and adoring them is subtle, but the whole point of this botanical repertoire is to honor the plants by avoiding fussy masking elements or distractions.

Last Friday I had lunch at Vidalia with friends in town for only a couple of days. This was my first visit despite seeing one of his sous chefs all the time at the farmers market where I first met RJ Cooper years ago. (I also made reservations at this particular restaurant since I share a number of the chef's values and trust the opinions of fans who are damn good cooks themselves.)

The three of us ordered from the Tasting Menu—somewhat different from the online version—and it took a while for us to agree who would get what since we were all were drawn to the same things. Eventually we settled on the octopus salad (He), mushroom consommé (She) and pig tails (Me), followed by crab cake, pork belly, and the shrimp and grits. Desserts: marshmallow-topped mousse, Valrhona 5 and lemon chess pie.

While we were waiting for our appetizers, three bowls of chilled cucumber soup arrived: pale, bright green pooled within stark white rims. An island of brittle black sheets rose from the center, wedged at sharp, opposing angles between glistening coral-pink, and studded with tiny purple sprouts of purslane.

Goldilocks would have loved this soup. Not too thin or too thick, but somewhere between a broth and what you usually expect from most purées, without a hint of graininess. The Quiddity of Cucumber, only better because it wasn't as precious as this phrase. The colors, textures and flavors of the island made it a perfect complement, especially the burst of salmon when you bit into it which I liked since it was the fish that garnished the cucumber and not the other way around.

We couldn't figure out how the kitchen got the nori-like sheets to resemble a fine, loosely woven linen, only sweet, thin and crisp. RJ explained that these were slices of a squid-ink bread, toasted, but I still don't get it and this brings up the point that I want to make. You can be refined, elegant and go through elaborate technical feats to make fresh, seasonal ingredients taste utterly of themselves and then some. Purity isn't necessarily simple.

This soup was my favorite part of the entire meal and it was pure serendipity that I tried it. Thank you, Chef, for deciding what we should have done.

My friends and I had a wonderful time. It was fun even without wine and we enjoyed little bites from each other's plates, ending up quite full, but not uncomfortably so which is the best thing to be. The service was as gracious as the farm-hugging chef.

(On a DC tangent: have you taken advantage of Vidalia's lunch special yet? Why not?)
Why yes, yes I have - last Friday as a matter of fact :rolleyes: It is a great deal and I enjoyed a very nice meal at the quiet (nearly empty) bar*. Like Hillvalley (and Anna Blume), I started with the cold cucumber soup - deliciously tangy and fresh and slightly salty from the roe. I followed with the shrimp and grits - the tasting portion was more than ample, with two huge, head-on shrimp topping the creamy grits. Dessert was the Georgia pecan pie - another generous serving, too big for me to finish in spite of how much I enjoyed all that gooey goodness and the bourbon caramel ice cream. I really liked the passion fruit-infused lemonade. I'm looking forward to heading back again soon. Those chicken fried morels on the daily specials list were hard to pass up!

*Something to keep in mind, given the scarcity of seats at some other fine establishments with great lunch specials at the bar...

Why yes, yes I have - last Friday as a matter of fact :rolleyes: It is a great deal and I enjoyed a very nice meal at the quiet (nearly empty) bar*. Like Hillvalley (and Anna Blume), I started with the cold cucumber soup - deliciously tangy and fresh and slightly salty from the roe. I followed with the shrimp and grits - the tasting portion was more than ample, with two huge, head-on shrimp topping the creamy grits. Dessert was the Georgia pecan pie - another generous serving, too big for me to finish in spite of how much I enjoyed all that gooey goodness and the bourbon caramel ice cream. I really liked the passion fruit-infused lemonade. I'm looking forward to heading back again soon. Those chicken fried morels on the daily specials list were hard to pass up!

*Something to keep in mind, given the scarcity of seats at some other fine establishments with great lunch specials at the bar...

Based on the many urgings of the DR crowd, I experienced the 19.90 lunch special at Vidalia during the week prior to 4th of July. Sadly, the restaurant was almost empty. I don't understand. The food was stellar.

The cucumber soup was nice (I could have used a larger portion or a smaller bowl - it was hard to get that yummy freshness out of that large, flat bowl). The crab cake was outstanding. It was full of very fresh tasting crab, lighly bound and lightly sauteed. The maque choux was lively with corn that had a just-picked taste.

But that pecan pie - oh my - I'm not a dessert person and I scarfed down every bit. This is a decadent, hefty pie bursting with properly toasted pecans. I grew up in the south, and this is perhaps the BEST pecan pie (including Mom's) that I've ever tasted.

I think I'll try and score some of that bacon ice cream tomorrow at lunch.

Are reservations recommended for lunch, or can I just walk right in?

Walk-ins are welcome although if you really want to you can make a reservation

Ed