Vidalia, Restaurateur Jeff Buben's 20th and M Streets Southern-American Downtown on 20th and M Street - Chef Jayro Cruz Replaces Hamilton Johnson - Closed

Thank you for the kind words about the burger.

A little story about how the Vidalia burger came about:

I growing up in suburban Detroit, grew up eating sliders. Greene's hamburgers have been in business for 65 years on the corner of 10 mile and Orchard Lake road in Farmington, my grandmother has been living 3 blocks away from the joint (yeah joint old school white panels dive). I cannot see her until I have at least 3 burgers before venturing to here house. There blend is fine chuck and sirloin 3 oz patties on a grill next to julienne onions the flip the burger and but the right on top of the onions to infuse the onions right into the paddy.

I have a couple regulars that had bet me that I couldn't elevate these burgers to fit Vidalia. Well we use 45 day dried chuck and sirloin same grind and took the Vidalias and put them through out the bun and crisp them on top. House made catchup using toigo tomatoes. It has been a fun process that we cannot change because its damn good. If I ate 3 burgers a week I would be bigger then I am now!!!!!

Have fun this summer and great food.

So our new bar menu at Vidalia:

southern fried

rabbit “wings”

celery, blue cheese, frank’s red hot sauce 5.50

ceci peas

flash fried, african curry, cured olives 4.50

chicken livers

black pepper gravy, brioche 4.00

soft clams

field basil aioli, meyer lemon, garlic 6.50

potted and soused

pickled gulf shrimp

chilies, garlic, lemon rind 5.50

foie gras parfait

bourbon gelée, onion marmalade 8.50

olive oil poached tuna

roasted garlic paste, tomato jam 6.75

chicken leg rillette

mulberry mustard 5.50

county store

vidalia onion burger

bacon, smoked gouda, tomato, onions 14.50

picnic fried chicken legs

rj’s mother’s potato salad 12.00

Vidalia’s blt

fried duck egg, zippy mayonnaise 10.50

butcher’s board

house made cured meats, pates, terrines 17.50

pork shop

heritage pork rinds

lime-chili powder, smoked salt 4.00

pig tail croquette

strawberry-rhubarb mostarda, purslane 5.50

braised shoulder taco

cilantro, cabbage, guacamole 5.25

pig out flat bread

cured meats, vidalia onions, garlic 12.50

Restaurant week menu we are extending it to labor day weekend:

restaurant week summer 2009

create your own 5 course tasting menu 45.09

(for each guest at the entire table)

create your own 3 course menu 35.09

first course

cocoa nib cured cobia

watermelon textures, key lime gelée, puffed rice

vidalia’s rabbit mortadella

red mustard greens, spiced pecans, rabbit bacon, truffle honey vinaigrette

smoked red waddle pork jowl rillettes

with pickled okra, radishes, creole mustard, country bread

toigo orchard cucumber soup

heirloom tomato-vidalia onion salad, black olive croquant

second course

grilled octopus

avocado, red rubin, heirloom cherry tomatoes, smoked chili vinaigrette

heritage pig tail croquette

red wine apple butter, pickled pheasant egg, kale

young garlic velouté

florida frog legs, parsley emulsion, preserved meyer lemon

preserved heirloom beets

mascarpone enriched emmer wheat risotto, wild horseradish

third course

slate roasted maine monkish

wild mushroom-spinach gnudi, pine needle infused bordelaise

potato crusted chatham cod

marble potatoes, smoked pork belly, sweet corn velouté

shrimp and grits

yellow corn grits, vidalia’s shrimp chorizo, heirloom onions

king trumpet mushrooms

yellowfin potato pave, black garlic emulsion, parmesan emulsion

fourth course

braised red waddle pork cheeks

crayfish, okra, guanciale, étouffée

rosé veal liver

parsnip purée, abalone mushrooms, sweetbread ravigoté

shenandoah lamb shoulder

heirloom eggplant caviar, pot belly farm fig mostarda, smoked garlic

caramelized vidalia onion crêpe

heirloom tomato-goat cheese emulsion, fried hen egg

locally raised, hand cut steaks and chops

potato pave, vidalia onion purée, mushrooms

12 dollar supplemental charge

At $19.90 for three courses, the Vidalia lunch menu may very well have the highest enjoyment to cost ratio* of any meal in the city.

Paralyzed by appealing choices, we started off with a homemade lemonade of peach and ginger. With the exception of a post-binge drink coffee, this was the best non-alcoholic drink I've ever had. Ditto to what's been said about the cucumber soup: FABULOUS.

I ate mostly off the market special menu and, knowing I'd be ending with the bacon chocolate chip cookies, I decided to do a sort of symphony of pork. The rillettes came with pickled vegetables and grainy mustard. It's a good bet that anything pickled at Vidalia is going to be a dead-on hit, and this didn't disappoint. The rilletes were creamy, with crunchy and chewy textures running throughout (did I detect whole pistachios?).

My one issue with the dish was the bread. The bread at Vidalia is some of the best in the city, no doubt about it. Moist cornbread, buttery rolls, sweet onion chutney, creamy butter with pink salt. The issue wasn't the flavor of the bread, or even the portions. It was more the gestalt. They were these kinda dinky rectangles. The flavors at Vidalia are big, bold, and just plain FUN. The sorts of things you'd expect from a man who rides a hog. I definitely found myself laughing at the wickedly fun and absurd whimsy of a lot of what I ate. So with flavors like these I really would have liked to see a big crunchy rustic country loaf with the rillettes. I know that's not exactly keeping with the haute aesthetic of the restaurant, but it certainly would have been a great match for the sheer bold fun of the food. I'd love to see Chef Cooper do like a big outdoor cookout sometime with absolutely no restraint.

The slow braised pork with hominy grits and bacon ravigote were as good as they sound, and the grits were cooked perfectly (no self respectin' southerner uses instant grits).

The bacon chocolate chip cookies were served waaaaay too hot. Once they cooled enough, though, oh good lord. I think these might be the perfect food. The diabetic shock from the cookie counteracts the cardiac arrest from the bacon. If I were dying in a week I'd be flying out to Cabo with two suitcases full of these, along with a Senator-level hooker who would feed them to me out of a bucket while I lied on the beach sipping milk directly from a cow sired by Zeus himself.

A few words of caution to anyone thinking about the lunch deal:

1) If you're looking to save, be careful not to be tempted by the lemonade, the braised and delicious vidalia onion side, and the cappucino. They were delicious but almost doubled my bill. That's not a commentary on those items being overpriced, it's a commentary on how FUCKING INEXPENSIVE the rest of the meal is!

2) The portions with the lunch deal are half portions. If these were half portions, a full portion would be enough to kill Andre the Giant. We left feeling FULL. Don't go in expecting a light lunch!

Support the great work going on here: delicious food, market fresh, local, FUN... get to the best lunch deal in town NOW.

We're going back for happy hour real soon.

*According to that ratio, free food would be infinitely awesome.

. The diabetic shock from the cookie counteracts the cardiac arrest from the bacon. If I were dying in a week I'd be flying out to Cabo with two suitcases full of these, along with a Senator-level hooker who would feed them to me out of a bucket while I lied on the beach sipping milk directly from a cow sired by Zeus himself.

Dude count me in!!!!!!!! I'll supply cookies, you supply hookers and attorneys!!!!!!

Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings!

$5.50. That's like what you'd spend at Taco Bell!

$3.50 Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale draughts...

Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings! Rabbit wings!

What about pig wings? Let me know.

Duck wings

Took a bunch of coworkers to Vidalia for lunch. I will have to start by saying that I am biased because I already love this place. Oddly, I had never been there for lunch. IMO it is the best value in town (the butter rolls are worth the lunch by themselves!) One note of disappointment is that they were not serving the ginger and rosemary lemonade.

As for lunch, I started with the seasonal carpaccio, which was not only delicious but also beautifully presented (it all was). It melted in my mouth, was cut perfectly and the flavors play with your senses. For the entree I had the Shenandoah lamb tenderloin, it was cooked medium rare and once again it melted in my mouth. The goat cheese emulsion was orgasmic. Mississippi Mud for dessert completed the perfect meal. Another great meal at Vidalia, Gracias!

Took a bunch of coworkers to Vidalia for lunch. I will have to start by saying that I am biased because I already love this place. Oddly, I had never been there for lunch. IMO it is the best value in town (the butter rolls are worth the lunch by themselves!) One note of disappointment is that they were not serving the ginger and rosemary lemonade.

As for lunch, I started with the seasonal carpaccio, which was not only delicious but also beautifully presented (it all was). It melted in my mouth, was cut perfectly and the flavors play with your senses. For the entree I had the Shenandoah lamb tenderloin, it was cooked medium rare and once again it melted in my mouth. The goat cheese emulsion was orgasmic. Mississippi Mud for dessert completed the perfect meal. Another great meal at Vidalia, Gracias!

Sorry to disapoint about the lemonaide. We make it with fresh fruit purees and yesterday was toigo cherry-rosemary. The peach everyone likes so much is peach-ginger-lavender. We make the simple syrup by steaping the aromatic into the hot syrup then adding purees, lemon juice.

Sorry to disapoint about the lemonaide. We make it with fresh fruit purees and yesterday was toigo cherry-rosemary. The peach everyone likes so much is peach-ginger-lavender. We make the simple syrup by steaping the aromatic into the hot syrup then adding purees, lemon juice.

The Peach Lemonade was also great! It is just that I loved that rosemary ginger lemonade. Plus you sure showed up those mixology friends of yours the last time I had dinner there. :rolleyes:

RJ:

It all sounds sooo freaking good!

Soused, rind, pickled stuff, liver, pig tail, trotters? No one dares to do that anymore (it takes some cojones)...

Only you.

It is time to get back to the carnivore hidding in all of us. We just have to embrace it, EAT!

Dan is right -- Rabbit Wings are the thing(s). These are drumettes that come out looking like fried chicken wings, served in a pool of Frank's Sauce (the origingal Buffalo Wing sauce which is imported from Buffalo by one of RJ's sous-chefs) and a blue-cheese sauce. But when you start nibbling, they are most definitely rabbity goodness, and if in doubt, the bone structure gives them away. I started with the beef carapaccio, which is an excellent light appetizer for a warm summer's day. The seasoning on the beef is just right -- adds without detracting from the beefiness of the cool meat slices. Al, the server/bartender on duty at the bar today, recommended a Cote de Provence Rose which went perfectly with both dishes.

I finsihed with the bacon-onion chocolate chip cookies 'n' bacon-oninon ice cream. the cookies are a perfect conveyance for the chocolate whose sweetness wins out slightly over the bacon savoryness which is more assertive in the ice cream. If you choose this dessert, I also highly recommend the pairing of bourbon/honey/bitters that is offered with it.

The huckleberry lemonade was really tasty yesterday as well. Accompanied excellent seared scallops and a very nice soft shell starter (although looking at the grilled octopus at the next table, I think I may have made the wrong choice). As everyone has said, one of the best deals in town.

The cucumber soup is an off shoot of a salad my mother made growing up. vidalias cucumbers sugar salt a champagne vinegar let stand 3 hours and puree with buttermilk and sheeps yogurt.

Sorry that Johnny was not helping out at Toigio yesterday at the farmer's market since I wanted to verify that everything in this is raw and that the first two ingredients weren't braised first. I am making a small batch to go w dinner tonight. Since I have three cucumbers in the fridge, I figure I can try a cooked version later in the week. This would be something that makes a Vita Mix blender worthwhile.

Sorry that Johnny was not helping out at Toigio yesterday at the farmer's market since I wanted to verify that everything in this is raw and that the first two ingredients weren't braised first. I am making a small batch to go w dinner tonight. Since I have three cucumbers in the fridge, I figure I can try a cooked version later in the week. This would be something that makes a Vita Mix blender worthwhile.

I planned to try my hand at it this week too. Let us know how it goes!

3 large cucumbers-split in half length wise and seeded (leave the skins if they are the euro cukes)sliced 1/4 inch

1 small vidalia onion or sweet onion julienned

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c champagne vinegar

salt and black pepper to taste

for puree

1 c sheep milk yogurt

1/2 c butter milk

mix all ing. together and let stand 3 hours....drain the liquid off the cukes. Place the cuke mixture in the blender. add the dairy. Puree until smooth making sure the puree doesnt get to hot. Pass through fine mesh sieve. adjust seasonings. Chill again. Serve!!!!!

You can garnish in so many ways with this soup.

I planned to try my hand at it this week too. Let us know how it goes!

Test bowl was good, but I am making adjustments w a new, larger batch today.

Essentially, you're making a Southern version of a Japanese cucumber salad without the dash of sesame oil at the end. Since I had 3 3/4 cucumbers, I started w 3/4 of New Morning's wonderful Divina (?) cucumbers, organic skin and all since I love the almost tumeric-dyed chartreuse of the restaurant's soup. (Used a small ceramic-bladed mandolin.) Wishing to use things already in the fridge, I did without sheep's milk yogurt even though I am sure its tang contributes something lacking in cow's milk yogurt (full fat, I am guessing, from Keswick Creamery). Straining at the end was essential in distinguishing this soup from the grainy, green-flecked versions promoted in Moosewood and other hippy-vegetarian paperbacks.

Vidalia's was far superior to my initial results in that everything that went into the soup enhanced the flavor of the cucumber. Mine looked beautiful, but it was a bit too watery and the sweet-sour element overpowered the vegetable.

Soooo, this time around, I have two of what I would call Middle-Eastern cucumbers (bumpy, edible skin) and one of New Morning's. The former are pure white with denser, drier flesh; the latter, which I peeled, looks gelatin-like and immediately transparent in comparison. These are a week old, but even so, I am hopeful the larger batch of a different variety of cucumber will intensify the flavor. I also plan to use up the last of my Greek-style yogurt to kick up the tang and start out with less dairy: purée to give texture a bit more substance.

What I really appreciated last night was hearing the door bell just before dinner. Despite a demanding day at work and twins waiting at home, RJ jumped on his Harley to deliver some of that snazzy black melba to use as a garnish. So pretty!

3 large cucumbers-split in half length wise and seeded (leave the skins if they are the euro cukes)sliced 1/4 inch

1 small vidalia onion or sweet onion julienned

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c champagne vinegar

salt and black pepper to taste

for puree

1 c sheep milk yogurt

1/2 c butter milk

mix all ing. together and let stand 3 hours....drain the liquid off the cukes. Place the cuke mixture in the blender. add the dairy. Puree until smooth making sure the puree doesnt get to hot. Pass through fine mesh sieve. adjust seasonings. Chill again. Serve!!!!!

You can garnish in so many ways with this soup.

Test bowl was good, but I am making adjustments w a new, larger batch today.

What I really appreciated last night was hearing the door bell just before dinner. Despite a demanding day at work and twins waiting at home, RJ jumped on his Harley to deliver some of that snazzy black melba to use as a garnish. So pretty!

I love this Web site.

It takes guts to walk into Vidalia at 6:30 PM on a Friday during Restaurant Week, thinking you'll find a seat at the bar, but that's precisely what I did, and I nabbed the last seat available.

And I'm glad I did, because I had a terrific meal. Along with the regular three-course offering, Vidalia is offering a five-course dinner for the somewhat ridiculous price of $45.09. My selections:

Red Waddle Pork Jowl Rillettes with pickled okra, radishes, creole mustard, country bread

Heritage Pig Tail Croquette with red wine apple butter, pickled pheasant egg, kale

Roasted Alaskan Halibut with a prep I didn't catch, and isn't online

Briased Red Waddle Pork Cheeks with crayfish, okra, guanciale, étouffée

Peanut Butter Crunch Bar with caramelized banana compote, sea salt caramel

I came in thinking this would be three courses, $35.09, and out in sixty minutes; it was not to be. What a meal, and you never know what sort of rogue's gallery you're going to encounter at Vidalia's lounge - I was summoned over to a four-top, where a friend was having dinner with his charming companion, and much plate-sharing and wine-sharing ensued. It turned into something of an orgy, and a big, hearty thanks to "Ray" for his hospitality and graciousness. Likewise, Mike, Khoa, Ed, Al, RJ, and the rest of Vidalia's outstanding crew.

Nobody can possibly do restaurant week any better than Vidalia. If you're wondering where to dine this evening, I strongly suggest getting to Vidalia early and grabbing a couple seats at the bar.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Restaurant week menu we are extending it to labor day weekend:

restaurant week summer 2009

create your own 5 course tasting menu 45.09

(for each guest at the entire table)

create your own 3 course menu 35.09

first course

cocoa nib cured cobia

Ah RJ, you had me at the cobia. I seriously love this fish, and rarely see it on menus this far north. I also appreciate that you've extended your RW menu; I was unable to get a reservation this weekend but am so looking forward to the dinner we've planned next weekend. I hope the cobia lasts that long!

It takes guts to walk into Vidalia at 6:30 PM on a Friday during Restaurant Week, thinking you'll find a seat at the bar, but that's precisely what I did, and I nabbed the last seat available.

And I'm glad I did, because I had a terrific meal. Along with the regular three-course offering, Vidalia is offering a five-course dinner for the somewhat ridiculous price of $45.09. My selections:

Red Waddle Pork Jowl Rillettes with pickled okra, radishes, creole mustard, country bread

Heritage Pig Tail Croquette with red wine apple butter, pickled pheasant egg, kale

I came in thinking this would be three courses, $35.09, and out in sixty minutes; it was not to be. What a meal, and you never know what sort of rogue's gallery you're going to encounter at Vidalia's lounge - I was summoned over to a four-top, where a friend was having dinner with his charming companion, and much plate-sharing and wine-sharing ensued. It turned into something of an orgy, and a big, hearty thanks to "Ray" for his hospitality and graciousness. Likewise, Mike, Khoa, Ed, Al, RJ, and the rest of Vidalia's outstanding crew.

Nobody can possibly do restaurant week any better than Vidalia. If you're wondering where to dine this evening, I strongly suggest getting to Vidalia early and grabbing a couple seats at the bar.

Cheers

Rocks.

thank you don, from all of us at Vidalia. Restaurant people bitch alot about rw, we take it as a challange can we stay creative, can we keep our level of exelence, can maintain our graciousness of service.

Restaurant week is like a marathon (yeah i know your saying chef have you ran one) we pace ourselves to survive the onsalught. I as the masacist dE ides we should have a 5 course option, we have sold 50% tasting menus. That may not sound like alot but we estimate that we have put up an aditional 1300 plates or if are in terms of 3 courses it turns into an additional 460 plus people. And lunch was out of control averaging 200 guests in 3 hours or 66 guest per hour.

We have gone thourgh 400# of shrimp 450 lobsters 300# monkfish into 180# halibut (monk boats didn't go out because of storms) 450# lamb leg 300# octopus ect.

Dons halibut dish was with spinach and sheeps ricotta gnudi pine neddle bordelaise.

In all the guests are apricative of our efforts the staff as tired as they are not at each others throats and we still have ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!

Reporting in the trenches. Yep off to work

Ah RJ, you had me at the cobia. I seriously love this fish, and rarely see it on menus this far north. I also appreciate that you've extended your RW menu; I was unable to get a reservation this weekend but am so looking forward to the dinner we've planned next weekend. I hope the cobia lasts that long!

The cobia (subbed in for the tuna tartar preparation on the RW menu) is AWESOME! What a way to start a 5-course tasting. My dining partner got it and I was hard-pressed not to snatch each bit of intensely-flavored fish off his plate!

We were also there Friday night and had a wonderful time playing with the RW menu. Absolute highlights included the cobia, cucumber soup, grilled octopus, and the pork cheeks, but everything was delicious, per usual (we also had the halibut, lamb, croquette, pecan pie, and lemon chess pie). I definitely agree that NOBODY does RW better than the team at Vidalia!!! Service and atmosphere, even if there is a chaotic marathon going on behind the door, remains professionally tranquil. I love that I can have tastes of so many wines! I hardly ever go out for RW any more, except for dinner here. They are extending the promotion till the 5th, so stop by and let them take care of you!!!

I had dinner at the bar last night that included many of the same courses. I opted for the chilled cucumber soup instead of the croquette, and the goat cheese bavarian instead of the peanut butter bar, but came away with the same impression - that Vidalia does Restaurant week very well, well enough that I may stop avoiding it. :rolleyes:

I had a talk with RJ, and he said that the burger will not be appearing on the bar menu anymore. I am heartbroken.

I had dinner at the bar last night that included many of the same courses. I opted for the chilled cucumber soup instead of the croquette, and the goat cheese bavarian instead of the peanut butter bar, but came away with the same impression - that Vidalia does Restaurant week very well, well enough that I may stop avoiding it. :rolleyes:

I had a talk with RJ, and he said that the burger will not be appearing on the bar menu anymore. I am heartbroken.

wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like the dead the sometimes goes on tour for awhile then take a break then goes on a long tour when they reinvent themselves then again its a long strange trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like the dead the sometimes goes on tour for awhile then take a break then goes on a long tour when they reinvent themselves then again its a long strange trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude. Please. If it goes, it goes. I can handle it.

I forgot to add to my post above that the cucumber soup might be the best I have ever had, and paired beautifully with the von Hovel riesling. I would come back soon just for those two

This is devastating news! I've made three visits to Vidalia in the past month, and I was saving the best for last! I've never even had the burger!!! As you can see from this thread, missing out on the Vidalia burger would be tantamount to missing out on a threesome with my wife and Rachael Ray.

So this question is, if not at the bar, where can I get my hands on RJ's reportedly superb ground meat and buns???

This is devastating news! I've made three visits to Vidalia in the past month, and I was saving the best for last! I've never even had the burger!!! As you can see from this thread, missing out on the Vidalia burger would be tantamount to missing out on a threesome with my wife and Rachael Ray.

So this question is, if not at the bar, where can I get my hands on RJ's reportedly superb ground meat and buns???

The Vidalia Burger will be back on tour in October when Texas Sweets will be availible. We just finished RW with steller numbers, have closed for two days into the holiday weekend, have to impelment 3 new menus for service tuesday, couple large parties, fly to napa for the crush!!! When I return it will be back!!! PROMISE you all and it will be better then ever!!! Thinking duck eggs, foie gras mustard...

As well thinking about a new sandwich the other night. House cured duck ham, foie gras torchon, grilled endives, duck schmoltz, preserved cherry mustard, bitter chocolate boule..........Feed back is appreciated!!!

As well thinking about a new sandwich the other night. House cured duck ham, foie gras torchon, grilled endives, duck schmoltz, preserved cherry mustard, bitter chocolate boule..........Feed back is appreciated!!!

Bitter chocolate boule sounds intriguing. Would you source that elsewhere or make it in house? Let me know and I will come taste test.

Mr. Scotteem and I celebrated our 34th anniversary Saturday night at Vidalia. That it was still RW there was a delightful bonus! I had mentioned my gluten-free restriction in the notes section of the Open Table reservation form, and our server was well-prepared and well-informed as far as guiding me safely through the menu (I had also studied the sample menus on line so that I could be prepared to ask questions and get clarifications, something I recommend anyone with a diet restriction do).

Five courses for $45.09--what a deal!

I started with the red waddle pork jowl rillettes with pickled okra, radishes, and creole mustard, sans country bread. I'm sure the country bread was far superior to the black rice flour GF bread I brought with me, but not worth the conseqences. The rillettes were fabulous! Mr. Scotteem enjoyed the cobia tartare with watermelon, key lime gelee and puffed rice.

Next we both had the grilled octopus with avocado, red rubin, heirloom cherry tomatoes, and smoked chili vinaigrette. It was much better than the grilled octopus we'd had for lunch the previous weekend at Las Tapas in Alexandria, and we both agreed that we could eat several more plates of it in succession without tiring of it. Nice grilled flavor, tender meat with just a little resistance, and perfect accompaniments.

Mr's next course was potato-crusted Alaskan halibut with ??? gnudi and pine needle bordelaise. He was enchanted by that fish! I enjoyed the shrimp and grits, which were superlative, with shrimp chorizo and heirloom onions--truly delicious!

Fourth course for Mr. was roast lamb loin (?) with okra (smoked/grilled?) and fig moutarda, which he pronounced perfectly cooked. Also perfect was my Red Waddle braised pork jowl, with crayfish, okra, guanciale and etouffee. It was nice to be able to enjoy the etouffee, which was made with rice, rather than the flour roux I was expecting.(the server double-checked before taking my order).

We're not dessert lovers, and I don't have much of a sweet tooth, which was fine because Mr.'s Cream soda parfait with cherry compote and star anise cruller and my Meyer lemon goat cheese Bavarian with blackberries and candied black olives were the perfect amounts and just the right level of sweetness. I loved the candied olives, imparting a salty/sweet flavor and slightly crunch texture, and I barely missed the olive oil genoise that was omitted for me, though I'm sure it's delicious, too.

The sommelier steered us to a lovely white wine (I don't know what it was) that matched well with our first 3 courses. I wish I had taken notes as well as pictures, but I was too busy enjoying the meal. Thanks, Chef RJ and staff, for a really memorable dinner!

Edited to correct fish and etouffee ingredients!

post-482-125234428469_thumb.jpg

post-482-12523443089_thumb.jpg

post-482-12523443202_thumb.jpg

post-482-125234433036_thumb.jpg

post-482-125234438495_thumb.jpg

post-482-12523444062_thumb.jpg

post-482-125234442388_thumb.jpg

post-482-125234444797_thumb.jpg

post-482-125234446491_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScotteeM

Mr's next course was potato-crusted cod with ??? gnudi and pine needle bordelaise. He was enchanted by that fish! I enjoyed the shrimp and grits, which were superlative, with shrimp chorizo and heirloom onions--truly delicious!

Fourth course for Mr. was roast lamb loin (?) with okra (smoked/grilled?) and fig moutarda, which he pronounced perfectly cooked. Also perfect was my Red Waddle braised pork jowl, with crayfish, okra, guanciale and etouffee. It was nice to be able to enjoy the etouffee, which was made with a rice flour roux (the server double-checked before taking my order).

The fish was potato crusted alaskan halibut!!! and the etouffee is made by blending the carolina gold rice into the sauce.