2010 dr.com Spring Picnic -- Fifth Anniversary!

DameEdna

Just picked up the keg which is now sitting on ice in the bathroom (first time buying a keg in DC, much more paperwork than I remember having to fill out in PA): post-6207-127457141253_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to enjoying it with that tasty pig. With the number of people attending, it better get kicked :lol:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol::D:blink: Awesome news!!!! I have to work now cause two of my cooks didn't show up today!! So unfortunately I won't be able to attend. If anyone lives near Masa and wouldn't mind picking up the food on their way to the picnic, give me a call. It would be ready by 1pm since that's when I was planning on going. Sorry to miss what I knownis going to be alot of fun >:/

:lol::D:blink: Awesome news!!!! I have to work now cause two of my cooks didn't show up today!! So unfortunately I won't be able to attend. If anyone lives near Masa and wouldn't mind picking up the food on their way to the picnic, give me a call. It would be ready by 1pm since that's when I was planning on going. Sorry to miss what I knownis going to be alot of fun >:/

Can someone actively step up and do this? I'd do it myself, but I'm not going to be anywhere near there.

Antonio, I'm sorry you can't make it, but I think everyone will be more than happy to give Masa 14 a little free PR-Luv. And let's not forget that last year, Majestic Cafe and Restaurant 3 both stepped up to the plate as well.

I have so many big plans for this website, and getting restaurants actively and formally involved in future picnics is one of them - it's going to be a win-win situation for everyone.

I won't be able to make it after all because I'm under the weather. I went to bed hoping that I'd wake up feeling great, but alas, it didn't happen. I'm so sorry that I won't get to meet everyone, but I'll try to post more and will make it to the next gathering.

Now what will I do with all those avocados? ;-)

What an awesome picnic. Some of the finest food and drink I have ever consumed at one place at one time. Kudos to all, especially the pig, and special recognition to the guy who brought the Australian Riesling, a 2000 vintage Nigl, with about 18% alcohol. I have the cork. Nice wine....

Antonio, I'm sorry you can't make it, but I think everyone will be more than happy to give Masa 14 a little free PR-Luv.

I sure am happy to. I finally tried the famous chicken, and it's as good as everyone says. But that brisket was.. extraordinary. Phenomenal. Otherwordly unctuous and devilishly delicious. Thank you!

Just got back and, much like the fall picnic, I am so full that I'm actually short of breath. Some dishes of note (and apologies for those who I fail to mention, I probably only made my way through about 50% of the food):

-The pig...oh the pig...delicious and moist. I caught the +1 opening the tupper ware on the ride home to sneak a few bites. This was the first time I've had a pig on site and it lived up to its billing as the main event. Thank you agm!

-Gennaro, even though he wasn't there in person, is now 2 for 2 when it comes to making show stopping arrancini for the picnic.

-Spring Rolls - perfectly fried, Mary's spring rolls were light and crisp vessels for the excellent vegetables hidden within.

-Kibbee Footballs - I'd never had these before...they were delicious.

-Fried Chicken and Brisket- perfect. People descended on these like a pack of wolves, with just cause. I'm looking forward to the few pieces of leftover brisket for lunch tomorrow!

-Deviled Egg/Crab dip - Whoever made this, please post this recipe.

-Gelato - Thank you to Molly for bringing Dolcezza's delicious wares. The avacado gelato was unexpectedly delicious. I will definitely be stopping by the new DuPont location to say hello and indulge in some more.

-Home Brewed Beer - This dark, non-hopped beer was delicious. Surprisingly light and refreshing for a very dark beer.

Also, since I now have a half barrel of Bell's Oberon sitting here at the condo, if anyone wants it (as much as I'd love to spend the week making my way through it, looking at my work calendar that isn't going to be in the cards) just let me know as I'm happy to donate it to a home that will use it up in the next week before I need to return it.

It was great putting faces to handles and spending some time with some familiar faces!

Okay folks, it's time to own up to your contribution to the picnic. There was so much good food I want to know who to beg for seconds. Please identify your item(s). Specifically: the Nutella cake, the marshmallows & graham crackers, the brisket, the wings, the mustard sauce, the tea eggs, the deviled egg crab thingy.

I bought the BBQ Baked Lentils and the Strawberry Salsa -- both gluten free and vegan.

Please identify your item(s). Specifically: the Nutella cake...

That one's mine.

Thank you to everyone for putting together such a fantastic gathering! To Don - You disappeared before I could thank you for hosting such a wonderful site, so I'll do it here. Great food, great wine, great people!

Okay folks, it's time to own up to your contribution to the picnic. There was so much good food I want to know who to beg for seconds. Please identify your item(s). Specifically: the Nutella cake, the marshmallows & graham crackers, the brisket, the wings, the mustard sauce, the tea eggs, the deviled egg crab thingy.

I made the tea eggs and it was ridiculously easy.

Crack a bunch of hard boiled eggs and simmer them in a marinade consist of salt, soy sauce, tea leaves, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds for 30 min. Let it cool and refrigerate. The longer they soak in the liquid, the more flavor the eggs absorb.

I didn't even get to try everything, particularly those dishes from the later comers. :lol: Major newbie mistake for not saving room.

To Don - You disappeared before I could thank you for hosting such a wonderful site, so I'll do it here. Great food, great wine, great people!

I still didn't see the elusive Don. This certainly beats any old picnic. Thanks everyone.

But that brisket was.. extraordinary. Phenomenal. Otherwordly unctuous and devilishly delicious. Thank you!

Amen, sister.

I just dropped the brisket container and the leftover haggis off at Masa 14. I hope Antonio gets a chance to enjoy -- because holy mackerel did we enjoy his chicken and brisket. :P

I just dropped your container and the leftover haggis off at Masa 14. I hope Antonio gets a chance to enjoy -- because holy mackerel did we enjoy his chicken and brisket. :lol:

Yes, special kudos to Antonio who had to man his kitchen but sent two spectacular dishes -- the fried chicken and the brisket. Yum. I'm still in a coma...

Great food, great drink, great people... what more can you ask for in any event? Special thanks go to leleboo for organizing this awesome event. Thanks to agm for the experience of a whole roasted pig! To all who attended, cooked, brought, whatever, what amazing food and drink! Last but not least many thanks go out to DonRocks for without this site, we would not be able to get together like this!

BTW jchao made the Graham Crackers and Marshmallows and I made the smoked back ribs (shoulda made more in hindsight).

I am looking for the cook who made the POUND CAKE and the ISRAELI COUSCOUS. Please, please PM me. (Or if you know who made it, please share and I will PM them.

I made the Israeli Couscous Caprese Salad...if that's the one you're talking about, I'll try to remember what I threw in there as I made it up this morning.

Another great picnic-fabulous food and great folks. So nice to see everyone, and kudos to leleboo for a great job organizing! I'm still in a food coma right now, but will post the crab-thingy recipe before I am fully unconscious. :lol:

click here

eta-Mr. S thoroughly enjoyed the scraps of pig and brisket I brought home for him.

Thank you everyone so much! It was so nice to put faces with people I hadn't met in person yet. Matthew (my husband), Adam (my brother) and I ate so much good food. There was nothing I ate or drank that wasn't just lovely. Particular favorites for me were the brisket, haggis, cucumber-avocado salad, the ventworm and the fresh spring rolls. And of course the pig. And the unhopped beer, I don't really like beer, but I liked this. But really bite after bite was so good. Thank you everyone.

Can I ask the person who brought the brie and other two hard cheeses (I believe one was jarlsberg) what the other hard cheeses was?

Please please post your recipes as I really loved so much of what was made!

Oh and I really loved the salty chocolate bars. If whoever made those hasn't posted the recipe can you please?

I made the trifle and posted the recipe.

Edited by ktmoomau

"Have you tried the brisket?"

"Have you tried the arancini?"

"Have you tried the pound cake? The spring rolls? The kibbee footballs? The haggis? The wings? The other wings? The s'mores? The beer?"

"Here, have some fava bean crostini."

"Let me bring you some ..."

There is always great food at these picnics, but I don't remember quite this much swooning and raving, and steering of others towards favorite items. Just one great hit after another, a seemingly never-ending parade of dishes.

"I can't eat another bite ... ooooh, gelato!"

And of course, the most swooning was over the pig that he roasted in the magic box...

With lots of help from Scott with the pig prep, and from DanielK and many others with flipping, pulling, carving and serving the beast. Pig roasting is definitely a group activity.

Maybe a goat next year?

I made the Corpse Reviver #2 in the skull bottle, plus the Thai peanut and habanero barbecue wangs. Recipes in the other thread.

My friend Roy made the non-hopped "Sparrow" beer (combination spruce and yarrow). I'm hoping next time he'll bring some of his sour cherry stout. He mentioned he should've brought his Cizer (not certain if I'm spelling that right). I'm trying to encourage him to sign up here but he can barely keep up with his e-mail sometimes. :lol:

I made the Corpse Reviver #2 in the skull bottle, plus the Thai peanut and habanero barbecue wangs. Recipes in the other thread.

My friend Roy made the non-hopped "Sparrow" beer (combination spruce and yarrow). I'm hoping next time he'll bring some of his sour cherry stout. He mentioned he should've brought his Cizer (not certain if I'm spelling that right). I'm trying to encourage him to sign up here but he can barely keep up with his e-mail sometimes. :D

Roy's Sparrow beer was great! Definitely encourage him to sign up. I never did get to try the Corpse Reviver...however Peanut poured herself a nice cocktail of it. :lol: (fortunately she presented it to her Mom before drinking it!)

Thank you everyone so much! It was so nice to put faces with people I hadn't met in person yet. Matthew (my husband), Adam (my brother) and I ate so much good food. There was nothing I ate or drank that wasn't just lovely. Particular favorites for me were the brisket, haggis, cucumber-avocado salad, the ventworm and the fresh spring rolls. And of course the pig. And the unhopped beer, I don't really like beer, but I liked this. But really bite after bite was so good. Thank you everyone.

Can I ask the person who brought the brie and other two hard cheeses (I believe one was jarlsberg) what the other hard cheeses was?

Oh and I really loved the salty chocolate bars. If whoever made those hasn't posted the recipe can you please?

Hello! I am the newbie who made the salted chocolate caramel bars. I will post the recipe shortly!

catherine

"Have you tried the brisket?"

"Have you tried the arancini?"

"Have you tried the pound cake? The spring rolls? The kibbee footballs? The haggis? The wings? The other wings? The s'mores? The beer?"

"Here, have some fava bean crostini."

"Let me bring you some ..."

There is always great food at these picnics, but I don't remember quite this much swooning and raving, and steering of others towards favorite items. Just one great hit after another, a seemingly never-ending parade of dishes.

"I can't eat another bite ... ooooh, gelato!"

sigh.

Here is the recipe I used for the salted chocolate caramel bars: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Caramel-Slice-238232

-- catherine