2010 dr.com Spring Picnic -- Fifth Anniversary!

DameEdna

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you everyone so much! It was so nice to put faces with people I hadn't met in person yet. Matthew (my husband), Adam (my brother) and I ate so much good food. There was nothing I ate or drank that wasn't just lovely. Particular favorites for me were the brisket, haggis, cucumber-avocado salad, the ventworm and the fresh spring rolls. And of course the pig. And the unhopped beer, I don't really like beer, but I liked this. But really bite after bite was so good. Thank you everyone.

Can I ask the person who brought the brie and other two hard cheeses (I believe one was jarlsberg) what the other hard cheeses was?

Please please post your recipes as I really loved so much of what was made!

Oh and I really loved the salty chocolate bars. If whoever made those hasn't posted the recipe can you please?

I made the trifle and posted the recipe.

You got the first two right. The third was aged cheddar

Any other picnic after-action reports?-did we cover (w/ contributions)the site fee, pig, & that Oberon ale (that sustained me through the picnic)? I just regret that I didn't pace myself through all the lovely salads (orzo, lentil, potato-I can't believe I missed crab/avocado/bacon/feta-I'd be paralyzed) & when the duck eggrolls & arancini were coming out of the fryer, I could only stare in dismay (no room left, but I wanted them). & the larb that came later (wonderful, if I'd discovered it earlier, I would have polished it off). I managed to find a bit of room for the chocolate graham crackers, trifle, & choc-caramel bars & apps-pickled shrimp & crab-egg spread (I was fresh at that point). My favorite (if I can narrow it down) was the torciglione (for that, I would peel almonds), it was AWESOME! After all the meat eaters in my party raved about the brisket, I decided to try to smoke one this weekend (I'll take any advice). I can't wait until the fall picnic (actually I can, I'm beginning to think you need to train for these picnics), thanks to lperrys herb giveaway, I'm going to take fig cuttings & pot them up...thanks everyone for a lovely picnic!

& guess what, folks-if I didn't mention your dish, I probably ate that, too-I think I tried almost everything. It was wonderful, but what I said earlier about pacing, OMG, I was moving slowly the first few days after the picnic...it was worth it...

I finally got signed up.

It's spelled "Cyser", and it is a combination of Mead and Cider brewed with a Champagne Yeast, which keeps it light and bubbly. Having a mead on tap is a little weird, since it does not drink like a beer, but it gives you the chance to get creative and at a BBQ yesterday we served a white sangria with the Cyser as a base, which went over quite well.

BKeep

(this is my first post, so be gentle)

I made the Corpse Reviver #2 in the skull bottle, plus the Thai peanut and habanero barbecue wangs. Recipes in the other thread.

My friend made the non-hopped "Sparrow" beer (combination spruce and yarrow). I'm hoping next time he'll bring some of his sour cherry stout. He mentioned he should've brought his Cizer (not certain if I'm spelling that right). I'm trying to encourage him to sign up here but he can barely keep up with his e-mail sometimes. :lol:

Earlier today, I finished transplanting the mint, rosemary, and thyme lperry so graciously gave to all of us during the picnic.

In other botanical & beanstalk news, attached is one last photo from last Sunday.

Everybody at once...cringe!

(the flavor of these)

(evoked the following taste)

("wrong kissing wrong's butt")

post-5654-127526782738_thumb.jpg

Earlier today, I finished transplanting the mint, rosemary, and thyme lperry so graciously gave to all of us during the picnic.

In other botanical & beanstalk news, attached is one last photo from last Sunday.

Everybody at once...cringe!

(the flavor of these)

(evoked the following taste)

("wrong kissing wrong's butt")

Hey, I brought those bacon jelly beans! They are available at the Paper Source, along with bacon soap. The latter was a Valentine's Day present for my sweetie, but she decided against using it. I suppose she knew the consequences of doing so....!