Cellaring wines...any set guidelines?

RaisaB

I just transferred over a few hundred bottles from a built in cellar to a freestanding cellar. As I catalogued (Finally!) I think I may have kept some wines too long. Are there any set guidelines? Example, today I was looking for a White Burgundy and found I had a 1998 William Fevre Chablis, Premier Cru in there! Is this wine destined for vinegar? Help!

Example, today I was looking for a White Burgundy and found I had a 1998 William Fevre Chablis, Premier Cru in there!

U R Phuck'd

The problem is very real and still remains. There's even a term for it now: premox (a portmanteau of "premature" and "oxidation").

(P.S. This was possibly the first article ever written about the subject in a mainstream U.S. publication. Give Todd Kliman credit for taking a gamble with this - I really, really wanted to write the piece, but it wasn't your typical Washingtonian fare.)

U R Phuck'd

The problem is very real and still remains. There's even a term for it now: premox (a portmanteau of "premature" and "oxidation").

(P.S. This was possibly the first article ever written about the subject in a mainstream U.S. publication. Give Todd Kliman credit for taking a gamble with this - I really, really wanted to write the piece, but it wasn't your typical Washingtonian fare.)

Damn...How could I not have read that article?! I am sure I did... I have about 10 bottles that fall under that category including a couple of Latour Corton-Charlemagnes. I hope it bypassed my bottles...I will let you know.