Need Some Ideas for Brunch Drinks

hamcolvin

Hello all,

I am helping plan an event for June that will be a brunch. The event is a school fundraiser. One of the other planners brought up the idea of having a signature drink beyond the standard bloody mary and mamosa. I don't really drink cocktails that often. I though you all migh have some ideas. Also, this event is for a Chinese immersion school.

Thank you in advance.

Hello all,

I am helping plan an event for June that will be a brunch. The event is a school fundraiser. One of the other planners brought up the idea of having a signature drink beyond the standard bloody mary and mamosa. I don't really drink cocktails that often. I though you all migh have some ideas. Also, this event is for a Chinese immersion school.

sparkling wine (prosecco or cava) with litchi liqueur (check with Joe Riley at Ace Beverage or at Schneider's --if anyone has it, one of those two will) or failing that St. Germaine elderflower liqueur.

If there's a more elegant cocktail that works especially well in warm weather than the French 75, then I'd like to try it:

2 oz. London dry gin

1 teaspoon superfine sugar

1/2 ounce lemon juice

5 oz. Brut Champagne

Shake well with cracked ice in a chilled cocktail shaker, then strain into a Collins glass half-full of cracked ice and top off with champagne.

Try it on your Mimosa-bored friends, I'm sure that they'd enjoy it.

Alternately, you can pay homage to our local heritage by making a Rickey cocktail. The rules for the Rickey are extremely loose, so that makes it applicable to more situations. You basically need three ingredients:

1) a base of Bourbon, Rye, or Gin.

2) A lime component.

3) A sparkling component.

The Passenger's Tom Brown once made me a Rickey using Boodles Gin, lime juice, and Prosecco. It was outstanding.

Owen Thomson created a Key Lime Rickey using Rye, fresh key lime juice, and coconut water passed through his CO2 charger for the sparkling component. (He also had coriander tincture and Peychaud Bitters in it as well, but you get the idea)

Chantal once made a Chartreuse Swizzle for me that I thought was outstanding. It packs a punch, so that might help your fundraising efforts!

I agree that Gina's Sun and Sand is very brunch-friendly. However, a root-beer rimmed glass might be logistically difficult for your brunch.

You should consider hiring one of the bartenders in DC's Guild to service your event. They can make your drinks and offer a cool, appropriate signature recipe. I'm sure there's someone available.