The Cooking Channel -- On TV

johnb

I'm not aware there has been much discussion about this development as yet. Here is a link to a story in today's NYT.

It will replace FLN.

Is there no end to it? (Not that I, someone who sells cookware, should complain).

From the NYT article, it sounds like this might be a bit more like the FN used to be: more focussed on cooking and eating and less on celebrity and reality shows. In any case, it will be better than FLN, which always struck me as a network for prematurely wealthy 20-somethings who missed savoir faire 101 as they clawed up the ladder.

it sounds like this might be a bit more like the FN used to be: more focussed on cooking and eating and less on celebrity and reality shows.

It sounds that way to me, too, which would be a welcome change. I greatly prefer the educational shows to the competition / forced drama shows.

This sort of tells me that I was not the only person put off by the reinvention of The Food Network from what originally gave them success to something more akin to an alternative to MTV, but based around food instead of jackassery. I hope that with this new channel they will be getting back to some of the basic shows that inspired people to actually cook.

I greatly enjoyed "The Genuine Article" on FLN, but really cannot think of anything else that was on that channel.

The Cooking Channel, which is a replacement for Fine Living Network, FLN, a low-rated lifestyle channel, was announced last fall. At that time, Scripps said the channel would focus on information and instructional programming, much as the Food Network did before it gravitated toward higher-rated reality competitions like “The Next Food Network Star.” In recent months, Scripps has altered its plans for the second channel to include more entertaining fare.

“We listened to the audience and realized they weren’t necessarily saying they just wanted more instruction or more reality or more travel shows. They just wanted more,” said Michael Smith, the general manager of the Cooking Channel.

These 2 paragraphs don't sound so great. Hopefully there will not be much more reality show crap on the new channel.

“We listened to the audience and realized they weren’t necessarily saying they just wanted more instruction or more reality or more travel shows. They just wanted more,” said Michael Smith, the general manager of the Cooking Channel.

What ever became of the first rule of show business?

Thankfully....Food Network is practically unwatchable now. Except for an occasional Alton Brown show, I miss its earlier incarnation. Hopefully the new network will get back to good cooking.

I find myself missing the Jeff Smith Frugal Gourmet sows of the '80s....wish there was something more along those lines on TV these days....

From the latest article on the subject (today's NYT) link:

"....Mr. Smith said the Cooking Channel is also close to signing a deal with the Internet food star Lisa Lillien, whose “Hungry Girl” empire includes an e-mail newsletter with a million or so subscribers and three cookbooks on light eating.

Ms. Lillien has criticized as unrealistic those who suggest dieters stick to fresh foods sold in the perimeter aisles of the supermarket. Her recipes unapologetically suggest ingredients like no-fat Pringles and Cool Whip."

Not off to a good start.

...Ms. Lillien has criticized as unrealistic those who suggest dieters stick to fresh foods sold in the perimeter aisles of the supermarket. Her recipes unapologetically suggest ingredients like no-fat Pringles and Cool Whip."

Not off to a good start.

Ha! Maybe the sound track to her show will be The Chemical Brothers.

Having canceled my cable in favor of Apple TV, Boxee, and the like, I'm finding fun little cooking shows from all kinds of random sources. But that's a thread for another time...

From the latest article on the subject (today's NYT) link:

"....Mr. Smith said the Cooking Channel is also close to signing a deal with the Internet food star Lisa Lillien, whose “Hungry Girl” empire includes an e-mail newsletter with a million or so subscribers and three cookbooks on light eating.

Ms. Lillien has criticized as unrealistic those who suggest dieters stick to fresh foods sold in the perimeter aisles of the supermarket. Her recipes unapologetically suggest ingredients like no-fat Pringles and Cool Whip."

Not off to a good start.

So a new version of Sandra Lee. Makes me weep.

The original Iron Chef (last night) and Two Fat Ladies (RIGHT NOW!). This new Cooking Channel has won me over already.

God I love those two fat ladies.

I'm with qwerty-they could have stopped there and I would have been happy. But with the Feasting on Asphalt reruns, Jamie Oliver's British shows we never got over here (does he get any sexier when talking about tins of tomatoes or aubergines?) and FoodCrafters I'm thinking those in charge may have actually thought about what FTV could have been. Sure, that yummo annoyance is still there, and Giada and Bobby, but nothing can be perfect, can it? Besides, any channel that gets Mo Rocca as a spokesman is worth a look in my book.

I saw a photo just the other day--it seems that Sandra Lee is the girlfriend of Andrew Cuomo, who intends to run for NY Governor. Imagine the potential for tablescapes in the Governor's mansion.

{This might have to move back to the Food Network thread, or a thread on our incontrovertible loathing of Sandra Lee...}

The NY Times took on SL's lasagna after Cuomo's mom dissed it. While the consensus was "we've had worse," it's still rather ... an indictment.

I find myself recording more and more cooking shows off the "Create" shows on Public Television.

Ditto. I like it more than Cooking Channel and Food Network. Watching Cooking Channel is something like watching the Food Network from 5-10 years ago, but they are still searching for an identity. I was psyched when I flipped it on and saw the original Iron Chef. But on the other hand, they show Ask Aida and Sandra Lee. On the third hand, they're replaying the old Galloping Gourmet and Julia Child episodes. So, quite a mishmash.

The French Chef is on. Ms. Child at her best: the lighting is horrible, she drops the spoon and most of the dried spaghetti made it into the pot. The perfect soother.

Last week she taught me how to take the wishbone out of a chicken...thank you Julia!

I actually kinda like the Cooking Channel, and would probably watch it a lot more if I were home on weekdays since they show a lot of the older shows during that time. It truly reminds me of the Food Network about 10-15 years ago, when they actually focused on cooking and food instead of those ridiculous reality food competition shows. As it is, the ONLY shows I watch on the Food Network nowadays is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. They've relegated Good Eats to late hours...

On TCC, I DVR "Chinese Food Made Easy" because it seriously amuses me, and I love to catch "The Galloping Gourmet" if it's showing when I'm home.

What I WISH they'd show are the episodes of "Taste...with David Rosengarten". The man was so pompous and hilarious...but amusing and informative. He knew his food and his cooking techniques, and I learned so much about cooking and the various types of food he cooked from that show.

The other cooking shows on The Cooking Channel aren't that great, but I maybe leave them on in the background when I'm doing something else. It's a nice "default" channel some days.

This thread is getting me thisclose to calling my cable provider and ordering real cable (which would also yield me BBC America, and anyone who knows of my utterly ridiculous Doctor Who fanaticisim is currently wondering why that wasn't enough to get me to take the plunge). I love the Fat Ladies, Nigella, and the French Chef, and tend to have cooking shows on in the background as "company" when I work from home ...

Then again, if this guy couldn't get me to shell out the dough, can Jamie at Home really do it? Only time will tell ...

No lentils tonight. What channel are you all watching that has old episodes of Julia?

Tomato paella and a mixed greens salad dressed with a walnut oil, sherry vinaigrette. The tomatoes and salad greens were from the garden, and if this mild weather keeps up, the tomatoes will keep coming. :( Bring on the mild weather!

Old Cooking with Julia episodes are on The Cooking Channel.

I am using Comcast ... Unfortunately it is not HD but still not bad to watch.

I am as well (not sure the channel), but so far the only show that has drawn any interest from me are the old Iron Chef's, and put me down as a Mo Rocca detractor - cannot stand him.

I am using the cable service without movie channels (HBO, SHO etc) from Comcast but I am not sure I can call it as a standard service. I was able to watch the channel in the bedroom but not in the living room. So Escoffier call them up and made it work in the living room without charge.

"digital package"

The Cooking channel is not aired in HD mode. It doesn't make any sense to put it in the digital package category.

The Cooking channel is not aired in HD mode. It doesn't make any sense to put it in the digital package category.

Digital package has nothing to do with HD.

Back when many people who didn't have movie stations did not have a converter box, digital package was those non-premium stations that were on stations that couldn't be received with a standard analog TV, and thus were sent digitally to save bandwidth. Now that the analog spectrum is gone and most everyone has a box, the moniker doesn't mean the same thing, but the packages still exist.

I like it so far -- some old Molto Mario reruns and a few of the new programs stand out (Unique Eats, Drink Up). I wish they'd subtitle Iron Chef; it's unwatchable with dubs.

What they need to add are the reruns of Into The Fire and A Cook's Tour (I'm probably dreaming when it comes to the latter, considering all the smack Bourdain has talked about FN since). Into The Fire was one of the best series FN has ever aired: behind the scenes look at Campanile, Carnegie Deli, Trio (when Achatz was there), Joe's Stone Crab, etc. It's a shame they ran it only briefly and buried the reruns at 4 a.m. time slots.