Sculpture Garden Pavilion Cafe, on the Mall at the Ice Rink

No, I didn't eat here (although I was coincidentally very close to ordering Skate at Central last night). But I did enjoy both a Sam Adams ($4.75), and the incredible view of Graft (the tree, not the politicians). If you're walking between the Art Galleries and the History Museums, this is not a bad stopping point. Plus they have brochures, detailing all the works of art in the garden, for you to read while you sip your cup of hot cocoa.

Website

Cheers,

Rocks.

Relieved you only sipped since a muffin would have disappointed. If you're in the area, I still think it's worth walking the extra couple of blocks to Teaism for a quick, reasonable bite.

This is a good place to go in the summer at night if you want to shout while squeezing past someone else in the crowd who's also wearing a pink oxford shirt with khakis and no socks. Older? You could explain what a typewriter eraser is.

We stopped in here to use the bathroom a couple weeks ago and didn't try any food, but I was surprised at the apparent complexity of some of the dishes:

Beef & Blue Panini $9.50

Shaved seasoned roast beef with sautéed mushrooms, sautéed Spanish onions, and homemade Stilton blue cheese spread, served with a demi-glace jus on ciabatta bread

Dijon-crusted Chicken Salad $9.95

Dijon-crusted chicken breast, green beans, teardrop tomatoes, and yellow bell peppers served over arugula with bacon tarragon vinaigrette

Made me curious if anything actually tastes any good there.

I can comment though that the sangria served during jazz in the summer is actually pretty good (once you run out of wine packed in a backpack!). And no, I wasn't wearing pink oxford ;)

We love this place in the warm months. Unfortunately it's not as much of an insider tip as it used to be (the jazz I mean) so it' s more crowded. But considering the concessionary nature of the cafe, the food is actually quite decent, and after a few G&T's on the grass you don't notice much anyway.

When I read the article this morning that the Park Service presented a plan to renovate the Mall, the following quote kind of jumped out at me:

Constitution Gardens, the area north of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, is an "an underused place [that] never quite achieved the goal from the 1970s plan, because we didn't provide the facilities that were proposed," Spain said. The plan aims to supply a restaurant and other amenities at the east end of the gardens.

I am assuming that if this happens it will end up being an opportunity missed, and instead of following the lead of the NY Parks Department's goal of partnering with local business to run the concessions (think Shake Shack) it will instead become another culinary tragedy heaped on the legions of tourists that come through our city suffering through countless bad meals at the Hard Rock Café, Medieval Times, or Phillip’s before heading back to whence they came.

I could just see it as the perfect opportunity for a certain chef that hails from the wilds of Michigan to set up the fried chicken shack he has always wanted to start.

We love this place in the warm months. Unfortunately it's not as much of an insider tip as it used to be (the jazz I mean) so it' s more crowded. But considering the concessionary nature of the cafe, the food is actually quite decent, and after a few G&T's on the grass you don't notice much anyway.

(I'll delete my post in a day or two, but wanted to add that the (display) panini looked okay (there's a small kitchen and things are cooked to order), AND right now is a stunningly beautiful time to be here - the sculpture garden is covered with snow and despite the ice rink, nobody is here during the week because everyone is sick of things that are cold. To me, the flashbulbs bouncing off of Graft (after the sun sets) look like lightning strikes although I suspect an actual lightning strike would be louder.)

(I'll delete my post in a day or two, but wanted to add that the (display) panini looked okay (there's a small kitchen and things are cooked to order), AND right now is a stunningly beautiful time to be here - the sculpture garden is covered with snow and despite the ice rink, nobody is here during the week because everyone is sick of things that are cold. To me, the flashbulbs bouncing off of Graft (after the sun sets) look like lightning strikes although I suspect an actual lightning strike would be louder.)

Sometimes we've gone ice skating there, but I don't remember the cafe being open in the winter months. If it is, so much the better.

This place used to be one of the hidden gems in DC--hands down THE best place to eat on the mall, with wonderful fresh ingredients, generous portions, and a gorgeous view. Unfortunately, about 4-5 years ago the kitchen stopped being an independent operation and was folded into the National Gallery's catering (if memory serves me right. This is what I recall a server telling me at the time.)

I had lunch there yesterday; the eggplant parmesan panini. At one point I had to recheck the menu to ensure this was not a vegan dish as the cheese was so insipid and tasteless that I thought I might be eating soy cheese. Nuff said.

Go for coffee and enjoy the view. The brownie might still be good.