tastedc

Roy Rogers, Making A Comeback - 50 East Coast Franchises, Nearly 20 in Maryland and Virginia

Well...I have never been a fan of Roy Rogers. I would suggest that Chaps on route 40 a mile or so off of I 95 just north of the Harbor tunnel is a model for the kind of sandwich they should do. I've also never thought Pappy Parker's fried chicken could compare to Popeye's or even a North or South Carolina Bojangles for fast food fried chicken (better than the ones that used to be around here). I suppose if the model was Arby's then Roy Rogers would do well.

But I never stopped at Arby's either.

Joe, *any* Baltimore pit beef sandwich would put both Roy Rogers and Arby's (both processed, formed, pressed "meat by-product" to shame). Surely you know this.

if you are going to roys and expecting anything in the food department to be outstanding, or stand out, prepare to be disappointed. where roys cant be beat: THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. i go to the one in leesburg off market st. everytime i go, the employees are in genuinely good spirits and the air of southern hospitality is definately present. the "hi and how are ya"s are awesome, but the kicker is the manager making rounds in the dining room, bringing after dinner mints to finishing customers. thats gangsta!

I do recall a story in the WaPo many years ago, probably in the late 70's, in which the secret food likes of several big time local chefs of the period were confessed and revealed. The item that came up more often than any other was Roy Rogers fried chicken. I believe the story was on the level. So some folks with food creds apparently liked it. Which would suggest it couldn't be all that bad, at least back in the day.

[Note: FWIW this is a repeat of a post I made in this thread (#12) in October 2005.]

I know this is off topic but as a chef I can attest to the fact that we do generally eat crappy food. I have a love I cannot explain for Taco Bell crunchy tacos with hot sauce. After 12 hours of cranking out well prepared dishes all I really want is something fast and easy. Popeyes fried chicken, a taco or what have you, I'm all about it. I can't even be bothered to heat up food already prepared in my fridge. It just comes with the job I guess.

Do we dare mention Gino's ?

With Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken and the Double-R-Bar Burger?

No. No, I don't think so.

(Didn't they have a Steak Burger as well?)

Anytime I've stopped at the Belle Haven, Rt 1 or the Rt 7 Leesburg Roy's , the burgers and fries have always been great.....nostalgic and good.... The only complaint being that after I finish my holster of fries... That the holster really doesn't fit my Glock that well ;)

I believe Carroll Rosenbloom, the owner of the Baltimore Colts in the late '50's, bankrolled the startups of both Gino's and Ameche's. These are a couple of really interesting links for Ameche's http://charleneclarkstudio.blogspot.com/2010/02/meetcha-at-ameches.html (yes, that's KFC shown in the photo of Ameche's sign) and https://sites.google.com/site/theboysofnorthwood/drive-ins which is a fascinating blog for those of us who may be older and grew up in the area with visits to Bawlmer. One of its essays is particularly worth reading for those of us who ever had this experience: https://sites.google.com/site/theboysofnorthwood/the-timonium-drive-in

...coming of age in Baltimore.

Gino's started as a McDonald's kind of fast food walkup while Ameche's was similar to Top's, some Hot Shoppes and the Mighty Mo Drive Ins with "teletrays" and carhops. I briefly worked as a car hop at the old Bethesda Hot Shoppe.

I got a big old box of chicken for snowquester. Even though I could easily have left my house, I didn't.