Ace Beverage - Terrific Wine and Liquor Store in Wesley Heights Featuring Our Own Joe Riley

For those of you inclined to buy Terry Theise's new fall offerings ahead of time, allow me to provide you with the opportunity here.

This offering arrived to me late this year, and I have until JULY 10th to submit orders. The wines will arrive here in the U.S. in late October (most likely).

You may find his German and Austrian catalogs here: http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/theise_catalogs.html

If there are growers whose wines you are interested in, please drop me an email at Joe@AceBevDC.com or give me a call, and I can give you pricing information on them.

Note that most of these wines do not necessarily HAVE to be pre-ordered to become available to you, but it is a very good idea to do so if there are specific wines that you are really interested in. Some wines DO sell out on pre-orders, and sometimes a wine might be available again but not until the following May (from the spring orders).

From what I've read from Terry's catalogs so far, there is much to be interested in and more than a few wines to be genuinely excited about. Looks as though 2005 was another banner year (generally) for both countries.

I'm not expecting a huge crush of orders from this posting, but I thought that I'd offer the DR.com community the chance to get in early while the opportunity exists, and to get folks thinking about the 2005's now.

Happy reading, and please let me know if I can help you to get the wines that you are looking for. Remember, the deadline for this offering is JULY 10th.

I've just been informed that there are limited quantities of these wines available to me now.

These are the wines from Sparky Marquis (of Marquis-Phillips fame) and his wife. They aren't supposed to be very expensive ($20 retail, maybe? I don't have their prices yet).

I know nothing about them except that they have all been "Parkerized" for our protection :unsure:

If anyone is interested in them, please let me know. I'd be happy to secure some for you.

Now that our busy season is over and summer once again has us by the throats, we are finding the time to clean up our warehouse, and we are quite literally overflowing with single cases and odd lots that we'd simply like to move out.

If any of you have been in our store lately, you've noticed the veritable plethora of closeout boxes on our floors, as well as the neverending tubs filled with $5 closeouts - some with ruined labels, but others just because we want to sell them quickly lest we drown in them.

There's really no way to list all of the wines available - heck, WE don't even have a list of all of them - so the best thing to do is to stop by and check 'em out. We're open M-F from 9:00-7:00 and Saturdays 9:00-5:00.

Believe me, there are bargains to be had.

As David Letterman would say, "C'mon down, we'll talk about it. Bring the wife and then we'll dicker." :)

Good grief, we are drowning in American Cabernet Sauvignons.

We have more of them than we can reasonably display, too.

So, in an effort to render our American Cabernet Sauvignon section more manageable, we're having a blowout.

So for ONE WEEK only, SATURDAY July 29th through SATURDAY August 5th you can have 25% off of all American Cabernet Sauvignon in stock.

This does NOT include pre-arrivals or wines you bought last week. It includes WINES ON THE AMERICAN CABERNET SAUVIGNON AISLE ONLY.

("Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip, the wines of war." - me) :)

(blushes) Thanks all. Perhaps a little grain alcohol and rainwater is in order for the evening (thank you, General Ripper) Maybe some Ovaltine to wash down my dinner of hard-boiled eggs and walnuts and Pour-A-Quiche? The possibilities are almost endless...

No, 'tis time to dip into that dusty old cellar of mine and unearth a prized bottle or two for consumption with whatever I decide to have for dinner.

If you happened to read the Washington Post Food Section yesterday (12/27/06) then you might have read the article about the raclette party that my friends, the Barbey family, had and the Post decided to do an article about it.

You can read it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6122600217.html

In the article, the writer mentioned the Gilliard Fendent "Les Murettes" 2005, which I sold to the Barbeys. They are quite fond of it, and it is, apparently, a HUGE step-up in quality from the basic Gilliard Fendant, which is much less expensive.

If anyone is interested in this wine, we do stock it, and I'm told that it keeps remarkably well, so this isn't a white wine that requires near-term consumption to be fully enjoyed.

I've always been a fan of Chasselas, having sold the "vieilles vignes" bottling from Bernard Schoffit, in Colmar, Alsace, for the last 15 years. I was first introduced to that varietal (and that particular wine, for that matter) by David Schildknecht when he worked at Pearson's, back in the late '80s. I've always maintained that it was a perfect white wine for Thanksgiving dinner, if one wanted to serve a non-American white (as I've mentioned before, I'm an unapologetic jingoist when it comes to wine for T-Day dinner).

I've seen other incarnations of Chasselas, including the German Gutedel, and the Loire Valley's Pouilly-Sûr-Loire, and it is really a very food-friendly grape. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasselas

If any DR.com person wants to try the Gilliard "Les Murettes" we have it in stock, and I'll offer a special price. Just drop me an email at joe at Acebevdc.com (use @ for "at", of course)

For those of you who are whiskey devotees, the Rittenhouse Rye 21-Year has just reached the Washington, D.C. market as of today.

I'm informed that there are only 60 bottles for the entire city, and that's it for the whole year, unless some other market can't sell theirs and our distributor manages to get some more from other markets.

If you're "keeping score", this got a rating of 92 from the Malt Advocate:

Rittenhouse Rye 21 year old, 45%, $140

Darker, chewier than the Sazerac 18. Thicker, too, with more toffee and molasses in the middle, reminiscent of demerara rum. More wood and spice on the finish. Not as pristine as the Sazerac 18 (especially regarding the fruit notes), but with plenty of complexity and sheer entertainment to warrant a score in the 90s. (4th Quarter 2006 Issue—Vol. 15#4)

For pricing, please give me a call or drop me an email. Don't hesitate, as I expect this to go quickly, despite the high tariff.

I'm informed that there are only 60 bottles for the entire city, and that's it for the whole year, unless some other market can't sell theirs and our distributor manages to get some more from other markets.

It's a single-barrel as well, but obviously not cask-strength. Said to be flying off the shelves in some markets, again thanks in part to a recent flurry of rye write-ups, and a predicted shortage of vintage rye. Were you able to get a spread from among the 31 barrel numbers, or is your stock all from the same one?

This will be among the tasting whiskeys at the tasting on 1/11. See the on a whim thread for further details.

*Update* I have 2 of 6 bottles sold already.

Were you able to get a spread from among the 31 barrel numbers, or is your stock all from the same one?

All I have is what they brought me. I'll post the barrel or lot# as soon as I can.

As luck would have it, my lawyer invited me over to his house for an evening of imbibing whisky, and he not only bought a bottle of the R21 from me, but he opened it for us as well. Very nice! Nice flavors on the front palate, and I expected a cavalry charge on the back palate but it didn't happen, it sort-of....."evaporated" back there, but in a very pleasant, but difficult to describe, fashion. It is 100 proof yet sublime. I could easily murder a bottle of this over the course of a weekend. I'll make a point to revisit this bottle on my next visit to his house.

I'm pleased to announce that we are finally doing something useful with our website.

It's been re-vamped a bit, and scaled down. Check it out: www.acebevdc.com

Right now, it is still rather bare-bones, but soon folks will be able to sign up for a weekly newsletter and periodic "Ace Alerts" (catchy, huh?)

We'll never have our entire inventory online (a Sisyphean task if ever there was one...) but I hope to have lots of interesting bits to pique the interest of imbibers of all stripes.

Bookmark it and check back often - you never know what you'll find! :lol:

I just got word today that, as of March 1st, the wholesale cost on this is going up $100/case, so you can only imagine what this means on the shelf-price. It is also projected to be sold-out sometime this year.

I've laid in some at the old price. If anyone is interested, please let me know by PM.

Many of you are familiar with the Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé 2006, and we certainly sold a bunch of it last summer.

Well, to prepare for the pending arrival of the 2007, I'm offering a blowout special:

Buy a SOLID case of this wine for $100, all in, tax included. That nets out to $8.33/bottle.

When have you had a better offer than that, I ask you? 8)

It's still super-juicy and lovely. Bottled under Stel-Vin closures, it has infinitesimal oxidation, if any. Remember, nothing's going in that wine, and nothing's coming out until it's opened. It is "maturing" as though it were in magnum format, i.e. at a GLACIAL pace.

Fulfillment may take a little bit of time, but if you want in on the first delivery, you should get back to me this week. I have a little bit to sell, but this could take a week or so for large orders.

Payment upon pick-up. :o

At the risk of sounding incredibly self-serving, I've maintained for years that rosé is a an ideal match for Easter brunch/lunch or dinner, especially if you are serving ham. A Cabernet Sauvignon rosé is especially nice with ham, as many other wineries have discovered over the years (from Anjou to California).

Just my $0.02 :o

At the risk of sounding incredibly self-serving, I've maintained for years that rosé is a an ideal match for Easter brunch/lunch or dinner, especially if you are serving ham. A Cabernet Sauvignon rosé is especially nice with ham, as many other wineries have discovered over the years (from Anjou to California).

How much of this stuff do you have to get rid of? :o

This is VERY exciting to me. If you've been enjoying the Marc Olivier Muscadets (Domaine de la Pepière), then you are ready to try the unreal Muscadets from Chéreau Carré!

Here is some basic background info:

The House of Chéreau Carré occupies the most privileged position in the Nantes region of France. This family owned property dates back to the 15th century. The vines cover over 267 acres of the highest quality soil in the prized region of the Sèvre-et-Maine.

The property is managed by Bernard Chéreau, whose family origins date back to the eleventh century. Bernard's passion for the Muscadet Grape is evident in the quality of his wines. He runs three separate estates: Château de La Chesnaie comes from a 25 year old parcel in the heart of Sèvre-et-Maine, Comte Leloup de Chasseloir is a selection of pre-phyloxerra vineyards dating back to the turn of the last century and Le Clos is a single vineyard of 60 year old Muscadet vines on schist soils.

Bernard is passionate about the location of his vines and separating individual parcels within each site. In addition, he keeps multiple vintages on hand because he believes that different vintages show different characteristics that are specific to the wines. Using only indigenous yeast and extended lees contacts Bernard is at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of Muscadet.

(from http://www.demaisonselections.com/chereaucarre.html)

I will soon have the 2005 Château de la Chesnaie and the 2002 Comte Leloup de Chasseloir in stock. That's right, the 2002! That was not only an outstanding year in the Loire, but this is a wine which benefits from extended bottle age. Believe me, I'm under no obligation to buy this wine, I WANT it! Try it and be enthralled :blink:

Special DR.com pricing available. Drop me an email to secure your order: joe at AceBevDC dot com

This is VERY exciting to me. If you've been enjoying the Marc Olivier Muscadets (Domaine de la Pepière), then you are ready to try the unreal Muscadets from Chéreau Carré!

Here is some basic background info:

(from http://www.demaisonselections.com/chereaucarre.html)

I will soon have the 2005 Château de la Chesnaie and the 2002 Comte Leloup de Chasseloir in stock. That's right, the 2002! That was not only an outstanding year in the Loire, but this is a wine which benefits from extended bottle age. Believe me, I'm under no obligation to buy this wine, I WANT it! Try it and be enthralled :blink:

Special DR.com pricing available. Drop me an email to secure your order: joe at AceBevDC dot com

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! I have way too many bottles of wine in my cellar that I need to drink and you keep tempting me to buy more!

If this is the stuff that's available nearly everywhere, then I think is the first bottle I picked up while searching for the Domaine de la Pepiere. This is the one we really liked a lot. Lemony, but smooth. I found the Pepiere too tart and lacking any distinction. No comparison and surprisingly inexpensive. :blink:

I'm sorry to say that we are positively swimming in beer that needs to go, go, go. We have tubs filled with closeout beer, and I'm prepared to deal, especially in quantity.

Stop by my store this Saturday (or tonight, for that matter, before 7:00) and I'll load you up with beer at prices that you cannot resist. I'm ready to deal. Mix yourself up some crazy loose six-packs and settle in for what promises to be an ugly weekend weather-wise.

This deal isn't just for this weekend, either, but now that warm weather is slowly creeping our way, I thought that this might be a great time to try and unload lots of cases worth upon the public.

Still have a hankering for pumpkin beers or winter ales? We probably have them :blink: They need a home. They need you.

I'm sorry to say that we are positively swimming in beer that needs to go, go, go. We have tubs filled with closeout beer, and I'm prepared to deal, especially in quantity.

Stop by my store this Saturday (or tonight, for that matter, before 7:00) and I'll load you up with beer at prices that you cannot resist. I'm ready to deal. Mix yourself up some crazy loose six-packs and settle in for what promises to be an ugly weekend weather-wise.

This deal isn't just for this weekend, either, but now that warm weather is slowly creeping our way, I thought that this might be a great time to try and unload lots of cases worth upon the public.

Still have a hankering for pumpkin beers or winter ales? We probably have them :blink: They need a home. They need you.

SAY NO MORE...