Ace Beverage - Terrific Wine and Liquor Store in Wesley Heights Featuring Our Own Joe Riley

The last time I put out a distress call here (namely, distressed merchandise), I got a wonderful response, and I'd like to try it again.

We still have lots-o-tubs-o-loose-beer that needs to be dispensed with, and cheap white wine galore.

We also have a few stray 2005 and earlier rosés that are being closed out to make room for all of the wonderful 2006's that we've been getting in.

There are bargains to be had. We're swimmin' in the stuff. C'mon down, we'll talk about it. Bring the wife and then we'll dicker.

Celebrate the Preakness stakes. Celebrate the Nationals winning streak. Celebrate May 19th (Armed Forces Day) or May 21st (Victoria Day).

Remember, Memorial Day weekend is coming up. Shop early!

Two very inexpensive rosés for current drinking:

Viña Chocalàn Rosé 2005 (Syrah/Petite-Verdot). Best rosé I've ever had from Chilé.

Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé 2006. Do I really need to elaborate on this one? ;)

I'm taking special orders, but I've got GREAT case pricing on these things for DR.com folks. Please don't PM me, I'd prefer an email - joe (at) acebevdc.com (obviously, replace the (at) with @ )

By the way, I still have a few tubs o'beer and odd cases to close out. Shop early and shop often. This is "wheelin' and dealin' time", folks!

In stock now:

Rosé (all French unless otherwise indicated)

Avondale Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé 2006 (South Africa)

Domaine de Mirail Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon, Gascogny 2006

Francois Collard (Château Mourgues du Gres) Fleur D’Eglantine Rosé 2006

Domaine de Fenouillet, Côtes de Ventoux Rosé 2006

Francois Collard (Château Mourgues du Gres) Les Galets Rosé 2006

Markowitsch Carnuntum Rosé 2006 (Austria)

Ch. de Roquefort Provençe Rosé “Corail” 2006

Mas de la Devese, Sarabande Rosé 2006

Tijou (Château de la Soucherie) Rosé 2006

Faillenc Ste Marie VDP d’Oc “Rosé des Glacières” 2006

Mas de Gourgonnier, Les Baux De Provençe Rosé 2006

Domaine La Manarine Côtes du Rhône Rosé "La Manarine" 2006

Collotte Marsannay Rosé 2006

Andre Florian (Ch. de Manissy) Tavel “Cuvée des Lys” Rosé 2006

Domaine Charvin, Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2006

Roblet-Monnot Bourgogne Rosé 2006

Commanderie de Peyrassol Rosé, Château Peyrassol Côtes de Provençe 2006

Michel & Louis Bronzo (Domaine de la Bastide Blanche) Bandol Rosé 2006

Mas Cal Demara Côtes du Roussillon Rosé 2006

Bisson Ciliegiolo Golfo del Tigullio Rosé 2006 (Italy)

Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy, Terre De Maimbray Rosé 2006

Mas Jullien, Côteaux du Languedoc Rosé 2006

Domaine du Bagnol Cassis Rosé (Domaine du Bagnol) 2006

Domaine du Gour de Chaulé Gigondas "L'Amour de Rosé" 2006

Ch. Pradeaux, Bandol Rosé 2006

Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé 2006

Mix any 12 and I'll sell them to you at a price that is even easier to swallow than these lovely pink wines. ;)

Just curious....any domestic roses worth trying?

Probably (I know that we have one) but I haven't had it. I'll be dead honest here, with very few exceptions, domestic rosés aren't as interesting to me as the European ones, especially French. Try 12 different French rosés of ours, and you get quite a tour of France, a gorgeous contrast of grapes, styles, soil characteristics.

They are "summer in a bottle", so versatile, so food-friendly, such sheer pleasures to drink. Yeah, I know, I sound like a commercial for RAP, but selling these is satisfying for my soul.

Our friend Mr. Parker seems to have a thing for Spanish ones according to the last Business Week.

Interesting, especially since there still seems to be a lot of '05 Spanish out there amid all the '06. Fortunately, it's delicious and has a good acceptance factor with formerly-non-rosé drinking guests...we've taken a shine to the '05 1+1=3 CS Rosé from Penedes (because once in a while, I need some variation from the also-excellent Avondale). My first bottle came from Cecile's, but conveniently Ace has a great sale price on it right now.

Probably (I know that we have one) but I haven't had it. I'll be dead honest here, with very few exceptions, domestic rosés aren't as interesting to me as the European ones, especially French. Try 12 different French rosés of ours, and you get quite a tour of France, a gorgeous contrast of grapes, styles, soil characteristics.

They are "summer in a bottle", so versatile, so food-friendly, such sheer pleasures to drink. Yeah, I know, I sound like a commercial for RAP, but selling these is satisfying for my soul.

Joe, I appreciate the reply. Dinwiddie has been bugging me to head to your shop for seemingly forever as he says it is great. I need more wine right now like I need a hole in my head, but you're on my radar and to-do list, so you'll be seeing me soon enough. How's your Italian selection? I'm particularly a fan of brunello and other tuscan wines, but also stuff from the Veneto. Heck, I even like these interesting whites, the Italians make that start with a T. No, not Trebbiano....what is it? Tocai Friuliano! That's it.

Interesting, especially since there still seems to be a lot of '05 Spanish out there amid all the '06. Fortunately, it's delicious and has a good acceptance factor with formerly-non-rosé drinking guests...

Muga rosé always seems to be good, whatever the vintage. I was surprised to find 05 on the shelf, when I last bought some at Rodman's. I was there yesterday and they were sold out. Perhaps the 06 will be coming now.

How's your Italian selection?

Better than some, probably not as extensive as others. I'm quite the fan, though, so I'm always looking for another Italian wine to love.

I'm particularly a fan of brunello and other tuscan wines, but also stuff from the Veneto.
We have some fun ones.
Heck, I even like these interesting whites, the Italians make that start with a T. No, not Trebbiano....what is it? Tocai Friuliano! That's it.

I got me one o' them, too.

Hope to see you sometime soon. ;)

To address some requests, I have some new rosés in stock, including a VERY inexpensive Spanish one, and a couple of French ones available in a week's time. (see here: http://tinyurl.com/2qp2pq )

The inexpensive Spanish one is from Coto de Hayas.

I don't have it in stock, but one domestic 2006 that intrigues me is the Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay Rosé. (Obviously, Steve Edmunds hasn't updated his website with this yet, but you get the idea at any rate.)

Some other domestic rosés which I've really enjoyed in the past are Bonny Doon's "Vin Gris de Cigare", and the Etude Pinot Noir Rosé, but the 2006 vintages are not available just yet from the local distributors. More's the pity.

Since the Washington Nationals are done with their home games for the season, it occurred to me that the Budweiser distributor might have some leftover aluminum bottles of Budweiser that they need to sell. After all, it only has a shelf-life of 110 days, they can't exactly hold onto them for next season. So I called them up and, lo and behold, they DO.

If anyone is interested in getting some of these, please just let me know. All that is available is the red Budweiser bottles, none of the blue Bud Light bottles.

Just think - you're getting 16 oz instead of 12 oz. and these aluminum bottles get colder faster than glass and hold their cold longer than glass.

Special in-store price for DR.com members :angry: , just drop me an email @ joe (at) acebevdc.com

Just got these in stock. Some are not distributed outside of Kentucky, others have been in this market before but are no longer regularly distributed here.

Thanks to Mr. Bill Thomas and Mr. John Roberts (of the Bourbon restaurants) and Ledroit Brands, LLC, they are now, albeit in very limited supply:

Kentucky Vintage Sour Mash Bourbon 90-proof - $29.99

Noah’s Mill (15 Year-Old 114-proof) - $59.99

Rowan’s Creek (15 Year-Old 100-proof) - $37.99

Johnny Drum (15 Year-Old 101-proof) - $52.99

Johnny Drum (4 Year-Old 86-proof) - $19.99

Old Bardstown Estate 101-proof (no age statement) - $29.99

Pure Kentucky X.O. 107-proof (no age statement) - $37.99

Four Roses Single Barrel 100-proof - $56.99

Four Roses Small Batch 90-proof - $46.99

Four Roses “Yellow” Label - $28.99

Old Heaven Hill V.R.O. 10-year 100 proof - $28.99

Old Rip Van Winkle 10-Year (107 proof) - $59.99

Pritchard’s Double Barrel 9-year 90-proof - $79.99

Very Old Barton 6-Year 100-proof (BIB) - $29.99

Curious to try before you buy? Drop by Bourbon in Adams-Morgan or Glover Park, and you can buy a serving to see how you like it.

With the holidays coming, there's something here for every Bourbon whiskey fan. Even the weather is indicating that it's time to hunker down with a tumbler of whiskey. :blink:

Any specific recommendations? I am driving down to DC soon but will also be driving back, so trying a dozen bourbons is probably not recommended.

All of the above :blink:

No, seriously, you almost can't go wrong. I'll happily guide you. If nothing else, you must take the Willett 6 year-old Bourbon.

Holy schmoley. If I'm not mistaken, that makes DC only the third domestic distribution area that has any of the Four Roses line for retail. It wasn't available at all in the US until six or seven years ago (nearly all of their production goes to Japan and Europe), then Kentucky-only, with NYC being added only about a year ago. The single barrel version is delicious - selected from barrels of their "high-rye" recipe, and handsomely packaged. And then...

I don't suppose you were able to get any of the special Jim Rutledge anniversary bottling that was released in September, were you?

Save me some (more) Willett, Joe!

I don't suppose you were able to get any of the special Jim Rutledge anniversary bottling that was released in September, were you? Save me some (more) Willett, Joe!

Jim Rutledge anniversary bottling? No, not yet at any rate, but who knows? Possibly before the end of November, if there is some to be had in KY. I'll add it to my "wish list". :blink:

Joe, sweetie - - we drove all the freaking way from Fairfax Va to your store last Saturday to buy absinthe, only to discover that you close at 5:00.

5:00 p.m. on a Saturday? Are you kidding?

Sorry, prolly not going back. We left the Hopper show at 4:00, and it took us an hour and a half to get from Capitol Hill to your store.

Yikes. This is why we stay out of DC.

Joe, sweetie - - we drove all the freaking way from Fairfax Va to your store last Saturday to buy absinthe, only to discover that you close at 5:00.

In fairness to Joe, it sounds more like you drove all the freaking way from the Smithsonian, and ran into ridiculously heavy District traffic. The 5pm close time is frustrating, but illustrates why it's good to call ahead to check both hours and availability first...I've shown up on more than a few doorsteps only to discover it was someone's day off.

Also for future reference, I believe Joe's usually out of the shop on Wednesdays...do I have that right, Joe?

In fairness to Joe, it sounds more like you drove all the freaking way from the Smithsonian, and ran into ridiculously heavy District traffic. The 5pm close time is frustrating, but illustrates why it's good to call ahead to check both hours and availability first...I've shown up on more than a few doorsteps only to discover it was someone's day off.

Also for future reference, I believe Joe's usually out of the shop on Wednesdays...do I have that right, Joe?

That's true. I'm usually off on Wednesdays.

My sincerest apologies, Ilaine. I know that such an early Saturday closing seems odd, and we're usually there later despite the posted closing time (last Saturday was a rare exception), but it's just the nature of both our business, our building as well as our neighborhood that we don't have enough foot-traffic after 5:00 on Saturdays to justify being open later.

Weird about the traffic, though. 90 minutes from Capitol Hill up to Wesley Heights on a Saturday? Must've been an accident or road-closure deterring you. That trip should take 20 minutes in non-rush-hour traffic, we deliver to the Hill and the mall all the time. I've made it from 2100 East Capitol St. to the neighborhood around Sibley Hospital on a Saturday in 30 minutes.

My sincerest apologies, Ilaine. I know that such an early Saturday closing seems odd, and we're usually there later despite the posted closing time (last Saturday was a rare exception), but it's just the nature of both our business, our building as well as our neighborhood that we don't have enough foot-traffic after 5:00 on Saturdays to justify being open later.
You may close early on Saturdays, but don't you open at 9am? It's nice to be able to get the weekend booze shopping out of the way early. :mellow:

You may close early on Saturdays, but don't you open at 9am? It's nice to be able to get the weekend booze shopping out of the way early. :)

True! :-) The law allows us to be open at 9:00, but I believe that most liquor stores in the District don't open until 10:00 a.m.

Drunkards take note! :mellow:

I want to put in a kind word for our own Joe Riley of Ace Beverage (Joe, I'm sorry, I don't know what your official title is).

A couple weeks ago, I wrote Joe and asked him to assemble me a case of various upscale liquors, two of each so I could try one, and "bunker" the other; along with a few bottles of bitters for me to have just in case I ever decide to start making cocktails. :)

I named an approximate total price I wanted to spend, and he came up with what I believe is the finest selection of liquors in that price range that anyone could have concocted. If you want to begin (or supplement) a "home liquor cabinet," I would start by writing Joe Riley. While I picked up my goodies from him yesterday, we both agreed that we're a couple of grumps, basically misanthropes, but if everyone in the world was like Joe, there would be no need - he's one of the good ones, and I feel lucky to know him.

Cheers,

Rocks

• Like 2

I want to put in a kind word for our own Joe Riley of Ace Beverage (Joe, I'm sorry, I don't know what your official title is).

A couple weeks ago, I wrote Joe and asked him to assemble me a case of various upscale liquors, two of each so I could try one, and "bunker" the other; along with a few bottles of bitters for me to have just in case I ever decide to start making cocktails. :)

I named an approximate total price I wanted to spend, and he came up with what I believe is the finest selection of liquors in that price range that anyone could have concocted. If you want to begin (or supplement) a "home liquor cabinet," I would start by writing Joe Riley. While I picked up my goodies from him yesterday, we both agreed that we're a couple of grumps, basically misanthropes, but if everyone in the world was like Joe, there would be no need - he's one of the good ones, and I feel lucky to know him.

Cheers,

Rocks

I concur. I was in a week or two ago and got some great whiskey recommendations, including Very Old Barton (a bargain bottle I had stopped looking for after not being able to find it anywhere in the area) and Ouroboros, an American peated single malt whiskey.

On previous visits I have also been pointed to great selections like Four Roses single barrel and Henry McKenna single barrel.

By far the best selection and most knowledge in DC Metro.

I concur. I was in a week or two ago and got some great whiskey recommendations, including Very Old Barton (a bargain bottle I had stopped looking for after not being able to find it anywhere in the area) and Ouroboros, an American peated single malt whiskey.

On previous visits I have also been pointed to great selections like Four Roses single barrel and Henry McKenna single barrel.

By far the best selection and most knowledge in DC Metro.

Psst - Very Old Barton is readily available at Magruder's in Chevy Chase as well. Easily my favorite bargain bourbon.

Psst - Very Old Barton is readily available at Magruder's in Chevy Chase as well. Easily my favorite bargain bourbon.

Thanks for the info. It really is a great bargain whiskey. I still prefer a bottle of Eagle Rare or Evan Williams Single Barrel, the latter when I can find it, but both of those are twice the price of VOB.

• Like 1

Macgruder's doesn't have the 6-yr, 100-pf Very Old Barton, and that's the only one I'm interested in; they have other bottlings of VOB, though. :)

• Like 1

I want to put in a kind word for our own Joe Riley of Ace Beverage  (Joe, I'm sorry, I don't know what your official title is).

A couple weeks ago, I wrote Joe and asked him to assemble me a case of various upscale liquors, two of each so I could try one, and "bunker" the other; along with a few bottles of bitters for me to have just in case I ever decide to start making cocktails. :)

I named an approximate total price I wanted to spend, and he came up with what I believe is the finest selection of liquors in that price range that anyone could have concocted. If you want to begin (or supplement) a "home liquor cabinet," I would start by writing Joe Riley. While I picked up my goodies from him yesterday, we both agreed that we're a couple of grumps, basically misanthropes, but if everyone in the world was like Joe, there would be no need - he's one of the good ones, and I feel lucky to know him.

Cheers,

Rocks

Thanks, Don.  Geez, I'm blushing over here... :)  You're too kind.

Cheers,

Rocks

Quoted in its entirety due to truth. Joe is Da Man.

• Like 1

What'd you get?

I'm wondering the same thing...

Sorry, I wasn't around my invoice when I originally read Brian's post:

Greenhook Ginsmiths American Dry Gin (a bit strong, a bit "Death's Door-y" for my tastes)

Jensen London Dry Gin (this is my favorite Gin right now, everything I crave in a Gin)

Colonel E.H. Taylor Rye (just a classic, mellow, peppery, rye-y, great American Rye)

Wild Turkey "Forgiven" (a wonderful blend of aged Rye and Bourbon)

James E. Pepper "1776" Bourbon 15-Year

James E. Pepper "1776" 15-Year Rye

The Bitter Truth Original Aromatic Bitters

The Bitter Truth "Jerry Thomas" Bitters

Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Bitters