Produce at Walmart vs Whole Foods

sandynva

Wow. First fluorescent light bulbs, now this. They are getting harder to hate.

Hate them because whatever you think of the Whole Food's CEOs health care views, they provide better care (and wages) than Wal-mart.

Also, my last venture into a Wal-Mart (somewhere in the vicinity of Chilhowie, VA) was hardly impressive. In fact, without being repulsed, it was a little depressing. I guess you have to live in an affluent Boston suburb to get the good stuff.

They've just finished converting the formerly non-supercenter Walmart in Sterling into a supercenter with grocery, presumably in an attempt to compete with Wegmans. They've got a long way to go; the produce section is maybe a third the size of the one in Wegmans Dulles, and while there may be some organic produce somewhere in it, there's no big obvious display of it. They also didn't appear to have organic/local dairy products, other than Stonyfield Farm yogurt that's available at pretty much every grocery store anyway.

I did find a few regional specialty items (White Lily flour, Martha White cornmeal, Odom's and Swaggerty's sausage, etc.) but Harris Teeter carries the flour and cornmeal, so the only thing that's really going to get me back in there is the sausage and the fact that Walmart is the only place I can ever seem to find taillight bulbs. ;)