Temperance Tour

garrettpeck

Dates: May 22 and 23, 2010

Time: Starting at 12:00 noon both days

Starting Location: Cogswell Temperance Fountain (7th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Archives/Navy Memorial Metro station)

The Temperance Tour is a three-hour walking tour of Prohibition-related sites in Washington, DC. Starting at the Cogswell Temperance Fountain, funded by a California dentist who protested alcohol in our nation’s capital, it continues to Calvary Baptist Church in Chinatown, where the Anti-Saloon League had its first national convention in 1895. The tour concludes at President Woodrow Wilson’s house in Dupont Circle, president at the start of Prohibition. The house has a wine cellar full of Prohibition-era bottles and a fascinating story of how Wilson got those out of the White House.

Those with time (and thirst) afterward may toast the end of Prohibition at a nearby establishment. Participants should bring a Metro card, sunscreen, and good walking shoes. We'll walk about 1-1/2 miles and traverse a number of staircases.

The tour is led by Garrett Peck, author of The Prohibition Hangover. This tour is part of WalkingTown, DC, so it is completely FREE both days!

Full details about the tour - and a map you can download - can be found on the Temperance Tour website.

Glad to see you posting, Garrett!

Folks, if you're fascinated by the history of prohibition and its lasting monuments (tangible and otherwise) on the DC scene, Garrett is your go-to guy, and his book is a fascinating read.

(I don't think the Cogswell fountain is that hideous, but man, talk about a useless gift...)

Old Washington hands will recall that the building before which the Temperance Fountain sits used to house the venerable Apex Liquors, where certain members of the Oakland Mills High Class of 1977 scored beer on a field trip to the Air and Space Museum and which provided an ironic backdrop to the fountain for many years.

Totally off-topic, but wasn't the late Prof. Randy Pausch of that era? Inferring from his bio, I guess he would have been '78.

Professor Randy Pausch was indeed Class of '78, his older sister Tammy -- no doubt Tamara, by now -- was '77. Randy also served with me in the Flaming Arrows Patrol of Boy scout Troop 361 and was my arch-nemesis as we attempted to re-create the Spassky-Fischer chess championship of 1972.

Glad to see you posting, Garrett!

Folks, if you're fascinated by the history of prohibition and its lasting monuments (tangible and otherwise) on the DC scene, Garrett is your go-to guy, and his book is a fascinating read.

(I don't think the Cogswell fountain is that hideous, but man, talk about a useless gift...)

Definitely pick up the book!

My link