WTOP Piece on Restaurant Violations

DonRocks

Did anyone hear this on the radio today? Georgia Brown's, Gordon Biersch, and The Palm were all mentioned for health-code violations.

The original story was written in The Examiner by Markham Heid, but hearing it on the radio gave everything a higher level of impact.

It seems a little unfair, because next month it will be three other restaurants, with no news story behind it; yet the names of these three establishments will still be ringing in people's ears.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I saw that today, and after reading the story thought better of posting it since I lean towards what Wiedmaier said about "major" violations. Now if they were shuttered due to these violations (as was the place in Adams Morgan), then I think there would be a story here.

I saw the story in today's Examiner. A number of other restaurants were mentioned as well (I think they listed the top 10 offenders), and Toscana Cafe was one. However, I took the story far less seriously when one of the "critical" violations mentioned was handling toasted bread without wearing gloves. Seriously? The bit about desserts being made by somebody with open wounds on their hands, not wearing gloves, was legitimate, but some of these violations are just ridiculous.

The story is disturbing and one violation related to the handling of toast shouldn't lessen its importance. I agree that DC should post its findings to incentive restaurants to comply. I also think that a restaurant should have to display at the entrance any bad ratings received.