Duck Dinner, III

DanielK

Cancel your plans, clear your schedule, save your pennies; I'll see you at Dino.

Dean must have a duck farm hiding somewhere, because we are going to tear through an entire extended family at this dinner.

Terrine - duck liver fegatini & duck pate with rosemary, almonds & apricots, house made orange mostarda

Collo d'Anatra - duck beggars purse {tuscan scrapple} with orange glaze

Zuppa di Funghi - duck & mushroom soup with pea shoots, farro & garbanzos

Fusili alla Cacciatore - duck & boar pasta

Gamba d'Anatra - crispy duck confit with arugula salad, ginger pear mostarda

Panna Cotta al Zafferano - saffron panna cotta with chopped pistacchios & orange [no duck]

$65 includes tax and tip! [less than $9/course before tax/tip - yes, I think he's crazy too]

And for those who think we should have some fermented grapes with the quacker, Dean is offering a flight of 3 - 3oz. Montalcinos: 2 Rosso di Montalcino + 1 Brunello for $40 inclusive.

So, send a PM, post here, shout from the rooftops, whatever it takes, but don't miss this feast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fine print: because of the higher price of this meal, and the need to pre-order a flock/brace/raft (flyers/waddlers/swimmers) of ducks, Dean has asked for a credit card to hold your seat. The card will NOT be charged unless you no-show to the dinner. Once you arrive, you can pay however you want: cash, same card, different card, washing dishes... In addition, you can cancel until 24 hours before the event without penalty. So once I've confirmed your seat, within a few days, give the restaurant a call, mention the DR.COM dinner, and leave them a credit card number. Dean is specifically instructing his staff on how to deal with these calls and keep the information secure. Lastly, so we can easily sync the lists, please PM me the name on the credit card that you call Dino with. I know a gazillion screen names on this board, and probably a dozen last names. ;)

Still plenty of seats available at the dinner, so keep the PMs coming.

Need I remind you that the usual outstanding deal at Dino is 3 courses for $37; we're essentially getting 3+ additional courses for another $13. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

please sign me up!

Still plenty of seats available at the dinner, so keep the PMs coming.

Need I remind you that the usual outstanding deal at Dino is 3 courses for $37; we're essentially getting 3+ additional courses for another $13. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

This is going to be a small plates kind of night. Many extra dishes are planned.

A more updated menu

Silly Stuff & Small Plates:

Duck Liver Rumaki

Duck Butt

Duck Neck Confit on the bone

Italian Duck Bahn Mi

Terrine - duck liver fegatini & duck pate with rosemary, almonds & apricots, house made orange mostarda

Collo d'Anatra - duck beggars purse {tuscan scrapple} with orange glaze

Zuppa di Funghi - duck & mushroom soup with pea shoots, farro & garbanzos

Fusili alla Cacciatore - duck & boar pasta Raviolo d'Anatra {free form open duck & rapini ravioli, duck cream with duck cracklings

Gamba d'Anatra - crispy duck confit with arugula salad, ginger pear mostarda

Panna Cotta al Zafferano - saffron panna cotta with chopped pistacchios & orange with sugar glazed duck cracklings

$65 includes tax and tip! [less than $9/course before tax/tip]

The wine flight is 2 Brunello's and 1 Rosso, not the reverse as stated above, and costs $30 plus tax & gratuity.

Notwithstanding xcanuck's mistaken choice of hockey over dinner, there are still seats remaining for the meal.

Come spend a fabulous evening with a crowd of Rockwellians, and some amazing food and wine from Dean.

Post here or PM to get on the list. $50 plus tax/tip ($65 inclusive) is a freaking steal for the menu listed above.

Notwithstanding xcanuck's mistaken choice of hockey over dinner, there are still seats remaining for the meal.

Come spend a fabulous evening with a crowd of Rockwellians, and some amazing food and wine from Dean.

Post here or PM to get on the list. $50 plus tax/tip ($65 inclusive) is a freaking steal for the menu listed above.

This sounds fantastic - please put me on the list. Question: I have a couple friends who are not yet DR members who would like to come along for this. Do they need to sign up for DR first, or can they comes along as guests? Also: what time does this get started?

--M. Berman

This sounds fantastic - please put me on the list. Question: I have a couple friends who are not yet DR members who would like to come along for this. Do they need to sign up for DR first, or can they comes along as guests? Also: what time does this get started?

--M. Berman

Guests are fine! Dinner starts at 7p.

PM incoming.

I love me some duck and this sounds great though I won't be able to make it.

This reminded me of wonderful tip to tail duck that I had in Beijing. All was great...

EXCEPT

Duck tongue soup. It was both slimy AND bitter!

Still, over a decade later, I've tasted nothing worse.

HOWEVAH

Duck tongue soup seems like just the type of thing DRers would (a) love or (;) take pride in trying...

Just a thought.

Edited: That smiley face is supposed to be the letter B and a ) but I left the face b/c it's cute.

I love me some duck and this sounds great though I won't be able to make it.

This reminded me of wonderful tip to tail duck that I had in Beijing. All was great...

EXCEPT

Duck tongue soup. It was both slimy AND bitter!

Still, over a decade later, I've tasted nothing worse.

HOWEVAH

Duck tongue soup seems like just the type of thing DRers would (a) love or (;) take pride in trying...

Just a thought.

Edited: That smiley face is supposed to be the letter B and a ) but I left the face b/c it's cute.

Unfortunately, even though I buy the ducks whole, they come tongueless. I guess the Chnese market where most of these ducks are sold has a stronger demand. Having said that, I do not particularly see the charm of duck tongue.

If you're still thinking about attending, you need to get your RSVP in quaick.

We were getting a good stream of signups, but once Dean put it in his newsletter, it amplified quickly. We now expect to sell out all 30 seats.

So if you want in, PM now.

Unfortunately, even though I buy the ducks whole, they come tongueless. I guess the Chnese market where most of these ducks are sold has a stronger demand. Having said that, I do not particularly see the charm of duck tongue.

With memories of the duck tongue that we sampled a while ago at Bob's 66, I will say that I am in complete agreement with you.

Ok so someone tell me how it was so I can live vicariously? Daniel did you meet my brother and convince him to join dr.com?

I'm waiting for our newer members to review before I put in my two cents. Skysplitter took some fantastic photographs, but said it would be a few days before she could get them up.

I did meet your brother, but figured the event alone would make the case to join. :-)

Thanks for a really wonderful meal and a fun experience. There were so many great dishes it's impossible to even pick favorites, but I think a few of the standouts for me were the rumaki, the grilled lettuce (seriously), and the ravioli - oh, those ravioli. I can't wait to see how they make it onto the menu and look forward to being able to come back and order them.

Dean, do you know off hand the vintage of that Aglianico we ordered (the Donnaluna)? It paired really well with a good number of the dishes, thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for a really wonderful meal and a fun experience. There were so many great dishes it's impossible to even pick favorites, but I think a few of the standouts for me were the rumaki, the grilled lettuce (seriously), and the ravioli - oh, those ravioli. I can't wait to see how they make it onto the menu and look forward to being able to come back and order them.

Dean, do you know off hand the vintage of that Aglianico we ordered (the Donnaluna)? It paired really well with a good number of the dishes, thanks for the recommendation.

The Aglianico was 2008 nut it is not available in DC. Try the Italian Wine Merchants in NYC.

By the way, we will have another brace of dinners June 21 and 22!

Yeah seriously that dinner was silly good. The ravioli was astounding. We simply COULD NOT STOP eating the duck cracklings on the dessert.

The 2004 Collemattoni Brunello di Montalcino was so, so good. Is that generally findable if you give a good look for it or is it another one of your rare finds?