As a teenager in California we used to frequent the Knollwood Restaurant Home of the "World's Best Hamburger" stand outside Anaheim at the corner of LaPalma and Imperial Hwy. It used to be in the middle of nowhere with a strawberry field right across the street. Damn fine burger. Thick onion, crunchy lettuce and the tomato slice was like it was out of your garden. Always thought it was as good as burgers got. Moved away to Wisconsin and hadn't been back since 1977. Went last summer and was (almost) as good as I remembered. Same stand, now crammed in a strip mall and the strawberry field is long gone.

I was glad to see it was still a fine hamburger. Ah the memories of youth!

But I just had a wonderful burger at Charlie Palmers for lunch the other day. The bread was soft and the meat....ooooh the meat. it was on the rare side (which is the best way in my opinion) and with some really sharp cheese on the top.

good god that was a treat

Just had that CP burger and it is one of the best in the city. Great bun, comes with caramelized onions and aged cheddar (or blue). It's huge-- at least 1/2 pound. I'm back at my desk sitting here thinking that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Can anyone think of a place in Arlington that has a really good burger? I seem to remember hearing of a place, maybe in Courthouse or Clarendon, that people raved about. I think it might have been a bar/restaurant type place. I thought perhaps it was Whitlow's, but they don't even appear to have a thread on this website. I apologize for being a little vague here.

Mr. MV loves the burgers at Whitlow's. Monday is half price burgers.

Wonderful. Thanks for all the responses. What about Harry's Tap Room? For some reason that name seems familiar to me, like I've heard it mentioned in a burger conversation. Do they have a good burger?

Can anyone think of a place in Arlington that has a really good burger? I seem to remember hearing of a place, maybe in Courthouse or Clarendon, that people raved about. I think it might have been a bar/restaurant type place. I thought perhaps it was Whitlow's, but they don't even appear to have a thread on this website. I apologize for being a little vague here.

If you're willing to go the extra mile down to Ballston, Big Buns is currently my favorite burger joint.

People here have praised Linda's Cafe (I still haven't been; note to self... get to Linda's and try the burger).

Cheers,

Rocks

People here have praised Linda's Cafe (I still haven't been; note to self... get to Linda's and try the burger).

Cheers,

Rocks

I almost drove out there today to try that burger. I was "working" from home today. I did, however, have breakfast there. It is such a dive, but serves an awesome breakfast.

If you're willing to go the extra mile down to Ballston, Big Buns is currently my favorite burger joint.

Really? I work around the corner, and even a burger craving only draws me there once a month. They're decent, but nothing special, and they don't know how to fire a burger to less than medium well, though they'll let you order rare.

Really? I work around the corner, and even a burger craving only draws me there once a month. They're decent, but nothing special, and they don't know how to fire a burger to less than medium well, though they'll let you order rare.

To be honest, the actually burger is the least impressive part. I usually either get the bella or the mahi and find it fantastic. Plus, I like making my own vanilla coke.

With all of the new burger joints opening up I just thought that it was time for a burger thread. While most people know about the burgers that have been getting quite a bit of attention on this board and in the local and national media, but there have to be other decent burgers out there. Here are my takes on some of the burgers I have had (excluding those places where the burger came across as something akin to a Sysco patty), I am sure that there are many I have missed, and many readers would passionately disagree with a number of my opinions:

Best of the Best
Palena - while I wanted something fried to go with this, I had difficulty even convincing myself to put it down long enough to grab a drink of wine.
Charlie Palmer's - Pure beef flavor with a nice coarse grind, almost akin to great steak tartar
Central - Can come across as the stuffiest burger in town, but still delivers a nice amount of flavor.

Other Very Good Burgers
Mark and Orlando's - I can't believe this place does not get more attention, I would make this a regular lunch stop if I worked in the area, and that is just based on the effort they take making the burgers and fries.
Westend Bistro - My favorite item on this restaurant's menu - quality coarse ground meat cooked perfectly.
Mr. Smith's - it might be rather long in the tooth, but this is a restaurant that has always known how to make a fine burger.
Bistro d'Oc - This is an easy place for me to get a burger fix, and a tasty burger it is. The meat comes across as being freshly ground, and from flavorful cuts. My only problem is that I have often wished I had ordered the offal offering, that is not because of the quality of the burger, but because I love offal.

Not Bad, but Not Worth a Special Trip
Town Hall - surprisingly good burger with a decent roll and a good pickle.
Clyde's (Old Ebbit)- I am not a fan of this local chain, but they do produce a decent burger and it certainly will stop a ground meat jones in a pinch.
Source - been twice with my wife, while they cannot seem to cook a burger medium rare, it is still very tasty, but for the price, I expect something better, something that would fit in the top list.
The Boulevard Woodgrill - With the exception of the burgers I have found Woodgrill to be disappointing. The burgers are well made, but nothing that would make me drive across Arlington for another visit.

Over-Rated, or Just not worth the Trip
Urban Burger - I have only been once, I found it better than 5 Guys, but then again see below for my opinion on them
5 Guys - This was a once good, but never great chain that for some reason is viewed as the east coasts version of In and Out, for the life of me I can't figure out why. I believe that Holly Moore's experience sums up mine fairly well

Five Guys seems to win hands down wherever DC media selects the Best Hamburger in the area. Couldn't prove it by mine - the burger was way dried out and well done - but perhaps an off day.

The entire Great American Restaurant Group chain - a mediocre burger disguised as food too delicate for a to go order.

Inconsistent
Elevation - At times they can be very good, other times the burgers are so dry that the tasty Elevation Sauce cannot save it from itself.
Taqueria Nacionale - Like everything at this restaurant the burger is very inconsistent. My first burger was over-seasoned to the point of being unpalatable, subsequent visits have proved better, but still not good enough to make it onto my list of acceptable burgers.

A Burger I will have to retry
Circle Bistro- my one experience was disastrous, but based on Don's enthusiasm, I will one day give them another try (only transportation logistics prevents it from happening sooner rather than later)

Have Not Tried
Good Stuff Eatery- Just opened, one day when the humidity is not akin to a tropical rain forest I may make the walk to give it a try.
Burger Joint- the "Boo-Ya" on the menu is a turn-off, but I can get over that, but it being in Bethesda makes a trip a little more difficult.
Hell Burger - for personal reasons I would rather find myself between Kirstie Alley and a Twinkie than pay a visit.
Thirsty Bernie - no excuse, it is in Arlington, I need to pay it a visit.
Eamonns - You would think that the idea of a deep fried burger would be too much draw to over-come, but the cod is so good I have not been able to resist ordering it.
Food Matters - Another place I have no excuse for having ignored, and the description reads well:
Roseda Angus Beef Hamburger on a Toasted Bun with Garlic Butter and Hand-Cut Fries

BLT Steak - My first and so far only visit to BLT being something of a textbook lesson on how to piss-off a customer I have been loath for a second try, so maybe this will be right before I go to Hell Burger.

An addition: I would rate The Diner's (in Adams Morgan) burgers as Not Bad; they'd been having issues with the kitchen (med rare came out well done), but those have been fixed, and they were very good about rectifying the problem. Most important, the burgers can be had 24 hours a day. And substitutions for the fries are allowed; the mac n' cheese (if one is feeling like going all-out) or the spinach (only mildly healthy, but oh so garlicy!) are both good choices. I've been stuck on the chili cheeseburger these past few months.

I'd also throw in as "Not Bad" the burgers at Southside 815 in Alexandria. A good, solid and consistent burger at a neighborhood joint; at 8 oz it's pretty hefty. And you can't beat the price when you get 'em during happy hour - roughly $4, accompanied by bread and butter pickles and fries (or one of the other sides if you like - I usually go for the greens).

I'd add EatBar to the "very good" list. I've only had it once. It was a little overcooked, but it was still juicy and had really great flavor (the rosemary is a nice touch). I've also had a very good burger at the Quarry House, but that was years ago, and I have no idea who was in the kitchen then.

And if you want to add a "Sliders" category, I'd rate Jackie's Mini Elvis Burger as very good.

With all of the new burger joints opening up I just thought that it was time for a burger thread. While most people know about the burgers that have been getting quite a bit of attention on this board and in the local and national media, but there have to be other decent burgers out there. Here are my takes on some of the burgers I have had (excluding those places where the burger came across as something akin to a Sysco patty), I am sure that there are many I have missed, and many readers would passionately disagree with a number of my opinions:

<snip>

Hell Burger - for personal reasons I would rather find myself between Kirstie Alley and a Twinkie than pay a visit.

Chadwick's makes a decent burger.

A suggestion might be to divvy up the categories, so that "fast food" burger places like Zburger, Elevation and 5Guys are not being compared to the likes of Palena and Central. They are all ground beef on a bun, yes, but Jaboulet Hermitage and Yellowtail Shiraz are both the bottled, fermented juice of the same grape; it doesn't make sense to lump them in the same category for judgement purposes.

And while I'm up here on my soapbox, I'd like to suggest that if you are serious about eating all of the best burgers in DC, whatever issue is keeping you from patronizing Ray's Hell Burger--get over it. You are seriously missing out.

I second the Eat Bar burger as Very Good. And Chadwicks in Old Town as Not Bad, but not worth the special trip unless you have a wicked hangover then it is a must.

Agree with lggl and Zora about Chadwicks (Old Town). The burgers have nice flavor from the grill, and are always done to order. We've been going there quite a bit in the warm weather months because we can park a dog under a table outdoors, and it is just so pleasant.

The fries have always been hot and crisp. I don't know if they're hand cut, but they hit the spot and I've never regreted the carbs or calories. Much.

Lovely service too.

Just throwing this in..I think Chadwicks has some of the best (traditional) buffalo wings around.

Agree with lggl and Zora about Chadwicks (Old Town). The burgers have nice flavor from the grill, and are always done to order. We've been going there quite a bit in the warm weather months because we can park a dog under a table outdoors, and it is just so pleasant.

The fries have always been hot and crisp. I don't know if they're hand cut, but they hit the spot and I've never regreted the carbs or calories. Much.

Lovely service too.

Just throwing this in..I think Chadwicks has some of the best (traditional) buffalo wings around.

I've never been to the Chadwick's in Old Town. I only have gone to the one in Friendship Heights.

For Eamonn's burger I'd probably rate it as Not Worth the Trip. I only had it once but it was definitely both dry and pretty salty, and yet didn't have a lot of flavor. Just not sure why you'd want to fry a burger :-)

For Eamonn's burger I'd probably rate it as Not Worth the Trip. I only had it once but it was definitely both dry and pretty salty, and yet didn't have a lot of flavor. Just not sure why you'd want to fry a burger :-)
It's called beer. :lol: The entire menu of your average chippie (not that Eamonn's is average, but the menu's pretty representative) is aimed what you'd want once the pub's closed, you've had a few pints, and you're hungry.

Lovely service too.

If I remember correctly that Chadwicks (FH) is under different management than the other two. I could be wrong but I had a few friends who did a turn as servers there and I believe I remembered them telling me they were not really related. Maybe someone else could correct or elaborate on this it was awhile ago and told over a few beers. I might have "misremembered".

I'd add the Argonaut to the list of good burgers. Good choice of toppings (smoked mozz and bacon on mine on the 4th), coarse ground beef, good brioche bun, just tasty overall. We were there most recently on the 4th - were thinking of going to Hell Burger, but didn't want to get a one month old in the car and drive all the way out there. While I wouldn't put the Argonaut burger up with CPS, Palena, et al, it is up with Bistro d'Oc, in my opinion.

I'm sitting at work, doing research on the french fry eating behavior of American school children and I come across this report. It is good to know that here at the USDA we are well ahead of the current hamburger craze.

Consumer Food Safety behavior: A Case Study in Hamburger Cooking and Ordering

It includes some really fascinating information, for example in the 1996 Hamburger and Egg Consumption Diary, 69.8% of respondents reported ordering hamburgers cooked to dark brown in a restaurant. It also includes an Economic Model of Risk and Palatability in Doneness Choice.

I think it is the best thing on the menu.

Great minds (and tastes) think alike :P

Westend Bistro is truly tops--even better than their signature fish burger, which is also very flavorful and fun.

The burger and fish burger--paired with a bright frisee salad--as well a playful poached pear with maple ice cream and caramelized cider sauce, made for a phenomenal dinner. A lunch the following day of a chestnut soup (excessive cream), shrimp salad special (boring/characterless), and their signature Tagliatelle Bolognese (decent flavor, generous portion) made for an underwhelming meal.

The best burgers are Westend Bistro's AND Morton's Bar 12-21 prime mini-cheeseburgers--three juicy, flavorful gems (3 oz each slider!) with refreshing plum tomato, iceberg, red onion, and aged cheddar. Perfection on a three buns is only a virtuous $5!

I gotta cast my vote for Ray's Hell Burger, a damn good burger, a damn good price, and bone marrow; Mr.Landrum, thou art awesome. :P

PS. Burger at Westend Bistro, not the best in the area. I don't know what grub street was thinking, if I'm going to a fine dining place for a burger, it's Central or Palena, though I will splurge on the DB burger if/when Boloud opens up down here. 50 bucks for a burger with foie and truffles? why the hell not?

Colletti's Smokehouse ? Carl's Jr. has been serving this for as long as I can remember (at least since 1987). Just swap out plain old bacon for APPLEWOOD SMOKED, american cheese for VERMONT cheddar and not just any barbeque sauce -- drumroll please . . .CHIPOLTLE. Wha-la. A triumph of re-packaging. Oh and I almost forgot -- the onions are VIDALIA.

They used to offer a buy one get one free on the back of Sacramento Kings ticket stubs.

http://www.carlsjr.com/menu/charbroiled-bu...n-cheeseburger/

Perhaps the price? :rolleyes:

I'd check it out sometime.

I finally got around to having the Vidalia burger for dinner at the bar. Really good! Got mine served medium rare. Initial impression when it came out with HUGE mound of fried onion crisps [w/ top bun off], "oh that's large" heh. I promptly placed the top bun on & smashed the burger down. [took notes from prior folks in the Vidalia thread]

Good flavor especially w/ the smoked choppen bacon [but the gouda, lettuce, and fresh mustard & ketchup on the side accompanied well]. Little surprise w/ the bottom of the bun <_<

All in all, quite happy.

I've had bad luck recently with overcooked burgers. Wednesday evening I ordered four Ray's Hell-Burgers (at the new location), recommended, with Vermont cheddar and bacon, and all four came out medium-well. People need to fully understand just how much demand has increased here since President Obama's visit - at around 8:30, there was still a line, and the burgers took an unacceptably long time to arrive. Over $36 - cash only. For me? Not worth it right now, and I'll wait to see how things change once the new operation gets up-and-running (I assume with two locations going at once, the waits will decrease significantly). Was it wrong of me to eat two of them?

Last night, on the patio at Harry's (in the Hotel Washington), I tried a Harry's Burger ($10.75, cheddar cheese 45 cents extra). Although I've heard from a credible source that this is a good, down-home burger, it's nothing special at all. On the burger's behalf, the menu claims the meat is "fresh ground beef," the 8.5-ounce patty was clearly hand-formed, and the meat itself had a good, beefy taste. But ordered medium, it came out completely well-done, with no pink at all in the middle, and everything else on the plate was lousy. Although it might sound "open-minded" to embrace Harry's, I saw lots of plates on various tables, and from what I can tell, Harry's is nothing more than an overpriced tourist trap.

Cheers,

Rocks.

My FIL enjoyed his burger so much when we ate at Redwood for Mother's Day that he specifically requested we go there for a return performance for our Father's Day celebration. This time, five of us joined in and also ordered the burgers and the consensus was a huge thumbs up. Served on a brioche bun, the "Roseda Farms dry aged beef burger" comes with either a very nice mixed greens salad, or a huge pile of hand-cut perfectly fried french fries. The burger is very tasty with gorgonzola cheese, but I ordered mine with just mushrooms. I didn't expect what I got: a huge amount of deliciously cooked, smoky flavored oyster mushrooms. All burgers were served at exactly the temp as ordered. I certainly didn't expect that, as we were a large party of 12 and well, needless to say, large parties can be challenging to serve without any mix-ups. We have experience with this as with lots of family in town, our dining excursions are a minimum of 6 and more often 9-10 persons. (Which means GAR group is out of the question, but that's a rant for another day.)

The cost is a bit high ($15) but not excessive when factoring in the pp cost of dining out for brunch. Unless of course you decide to add on cheese, bacon AND mushrooms. Each carry an added charge of $2 for the cheese and bacon, and $3 for the 'shrooms. Not so sure I'd spend the $22 for all three toppings though.

And after a taste of my FIL's burger on our first event here, and then ordering it today, my SIL proclaimed she likes it better than RHB. I haven't been to RHB but once and don't recall it well enough to compare. But I do recommend giving this one a try.