The downside of cable TV is the commercials for regional food/stores that don't exist locally. Sometimes, like Hardee's, the reality falls short of the expectation.

Every now and then, I wonder what Sonic Drive-In is like. I blame the commercials.

Imagine my brakepads' surprise when I saw the Sonic signs on the road heading out to the Delaware beaches this weekend. It's at the intersection where you make the left turn to continue on Rt 404 where it joins Rt 13 (business 404). There's already a big McDonalds at the corner. What a tease. The signs are up, but the main building's still underconstruction!

Who's been to Sonic and is it worth watching out for next time I head beachward?

It's worth it just for the drive up A&W type window, the milkshakes, and the weirdness of it. As for the burgers? It ain't five guys (or whatever your guilty pleasure go-to burger is), but it's fun.

I went in Oxford Mississippi, which had an added rednecky, southern, rural entertaining layer, as in, "He's yo burger, Momma!"

True dat!! and I believe there's a Sonic in MD near the Census Bureau or in that general area.

According to their website, they do not have any locations in Maryland. The closest Sonic is located about 100 miles from Washington, DC in Ephrata (?), Pennsylvania.

Didn't there used to be a Sonic on Rt. 7 just past Tyson's Corner, before you hit all the car dealers?

Nope. Perhaps you're thinking of the Arby's that used to be a bit further up 7?

Anyhoo, the nearest Sonics to here are in Ephrata, PA (that one's brand-new) and Williamsburg. There are also several in the Newport News/Hampton Roads area, which is a bit further away except when I'm down there for Nekocon.

According to their newsletter (yes, I subscribe) they are in the midst of an expansion push for more outlets up north.

As to the reputed Sonic in Fredericksburg, I'm guessing Mel's friend may have been thinking of the Rita's Water Ice that is indeed down there.

I don't remember there being a Sonic out that way, how long ago are you thinking?  Might it have been a Checkers?

If there was ever a Checkers in the Tysons area and I've somehow missed it while regularly traversing the corridor for 30 years, I may cry.

According to their website, they do not have any locations in Maryland. The closest Sonic is located about 100 miles from Washington, DC in Ephrata (?), Pennsylvania.

Hmm, now it makes me wonder what drive-in hamburger joint that was...do striped Red and White (metal) umbrellas ring a bell? Arghhh, now I'm going to have to drive to Suitland just to find out..

Hmm, now it makes me wonder what drive-in hamburger joint that was...do striped Red and White (metal) umbrellas ring a bell?  Arghhh, now I'm going to have to drive to Suitland just to find out..

Now that sounds like a Checker's (or a Rally's, the former having bought the latter a few years ago).

Yet another reason for everyone to make a pilgrimage to that hot-bed of haute cuisine that is Lynchburg VA.

If you are going to travel that far a field, you might as well just head over to Norfolk and get a burger at Doumar's or Dairy Rite in Staunton. Both offer up great burgers.

21P serves a $5 burger and fry plate all day Sun and happy hours on Mon, Tues (5-7, I think). Not a bad burger for $5 (plus all the taps are $3). The bun is especially good-- it's either housemade or outsourced to someone who knows what they're doing.

Now that sounds like a Checker's (or a Rally's, the former having bought the latter a few years ago).

Right you are. Must be that senesence sneaking in. Checkers (and I'd forgotten about Rally's until you mentioned it). Now that I think about it, Checkers hamburgers aren't that bad either...especially on a nice warm Spring day when you can sit on the patio (you and the pigeons) and eat a burger and try to keep the napkins from flying away.

Dairy Rite in Staunton. 

Now that brings back memories of Mary Baldwin and the girls and going down the road and eating across from Western State Mental Hospital and burgers and milkshakes from Dairy Rite...yummy!! (I wonder if they are still as good as they were when I was 18 or 19 years old?)

Now that brings back memories of Mary Baldwin and the girls and going down the road and eating across from Western State Mental Hospital and burgers and milkshakes from Dairy Rite...yummy!! (I wonder if they are still as good as they were when I was 18 or 19 years old?)

The last time I was there was 2 years ago, and they were quite good, and so were the shakes.

The last time I was there was 2 years ago, and they were quite good, and so were the shakes.

ROAD TRIP!!! (just wanted to see what it felt like to be a frat-rat again.. :) ). Sounds like a trip to the Shenandoah is in order with a stop at Dairy Rite.

Tripewriter and I had our first-ever In n Out Burger experience today. We went to the branch in Oakland, mere moments ago. Top in our enquiring minds was seeing how In n Out was in comparison with our local DC-area chains. First, let me say that after being a vegetarian for many years, I have recently gone to the Dark Side and started eating meat again. This turned out to be a good thing, as unlike Elevation Burger, In n Out doesn't have a veggie option. That being said, this was a very, very good burger. American cheese, fresh tomato, lettuce, and a pink sauce. The bun was nicely toasted and the overall burger flavor was excellent. Unfortunately, no other part even came close. The fries were awful -- we didn't even finish -- as was the McDonald's shake. If it weren't for the lovely burger, In n Out would have been 100% disaster. It doesn't really matter in the long run, but in my eyes, Elevation Burger is still the one to beat.

I had to eat and run last night, but I am still salivating from the burger I had at the bar at Circle Bistro. The roll had an unexpected brioche type taste to it and the burger itself was juicy and incredibly flavorful. A wonderful combination of flavors. (kicking myself for not going to CB before last night...really)

This turned out to be a good thing, as unlike Elevation Burger, In n Out doesn't have a veggie option. That being said, this was a very, very good burger

In-N-Out has a pretty extensive list of items that you can order that aren't on the menu. One of these is the innacurately named grilled cheese which is really just a cheeseburger without the burger. In addition, you can order the "four by four," which is four patties, and get your burger "animal-style," which includes extra sauce and grilled onions. I'm sure that some other ex-west coasters can remind me what else I'm forgetting.

I love In-N-Out fries, but just as many people hate them. YMMV.

Their fries are decent if you order them "well-done" (and yes, "animal style" is a must-try).

I had a four-hour layover in SFO last month and convinced one of my friends to pick me up and drive there because I hadn't eaten one in nearly two years. Oh my. In-N-Out is one of the top 2 or 3 things I miss most about California. Seriously.

I actually had a good hamburger Saturday night at, of all places, the Old Dominion Brewery brewpub in Ashburn, VA. The burger was cooked to the appropriate temperature, and the accompanying fries were not bad, either.

Had a burger and fries tonight at Palena. It was good, but......

It was too salty. Not so much that I didn't enjoy the burger, cos I did, but such that every single bite I tasted salt.

And, ya know, for $10? Just include the damn fries, and if I want tomato, give me a slice of bloody tomato.

I'll be sticking with the bison burger at ruby tuesday. It's only a 7 minute bus ride or 25 minute walk away, and it's cheaper, especially once one factors in the price of a fry plate at palena, comes with fries or even broccoli if I want, actually has my CHOICE of toppings, and is just as good a burger without being overly salted.

I actually had a good hamburger Saturday night at, of all places, the Old Dominion Brewery brewpub in Ashburn, VA. The burger was cooked to the appropriate temperature, and the accompanying fries were not bad, either.

Highly underrated pub food there. The turkey-and-cheddar melt (with chipotle relish and some kind of mayo) is a gloppy, guilty pleasure, the chili is decent enough for Virginia, the people are nice, etc.

Their fries are decent if you order them "well-done" (and yes, "animal style" is a must-try).

I had a four-hour layover in SFO last month and convinced one of my friends to pick me up and drive there because I hadn't eaten one in nearly two years. Oh my. In-N-Out is one of the top 2 or 3 things I miss most about California. Seriously.

"Maybe I was speeding a little bit and I got pulled over. I was just really hungry and I wanted to have an In-N-Out Burger."

If they're good enough for Paris Hilton to get arrested over, they're good enough for me :) . If ONLY there were a franchise a little closer to D.C.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.in-n-out.com/

Burgers in Lynchburg

If you do go to the culinary wasteland of Lynchburg Virginia, make sure you have a few drinks and go to the "Texas Inn" otherwise known to the locals as the "T " room. They serve a Cheesy Western, which is a cheese hamburger with a fried egg (yolk mixed in) on top. Order it "all the way" which incudes a mustard, onion, and relish sauce. Then ask for a "glass of the Saint James" which is the river flowing right out side. They also serve chili all the way as well. Make sure you have that couple of drinks first!

Burgers in Lynchburg

If you do go to the culinary wasteland of Lynchburg Virginia, make sure you have a few drinks and go to the "Texas Inn" otherwise known to the locals as the "T " room. They serve a Cheesy Western, which is a cheese hamburger with a fried egg (yolk mixed in) on top. Order it "all the way" which incudes a mustard, onion, and relish sauce. Then ask for a "glass of the Saint James" which is the river flowing right out side. They also serve chili all the way as well. Make sure you have that couple of drinks first!

Mrs JPW will correct me, I'm sure, but I believe my parents-in-law had their first date there.

Have your first burger up the street at the Cavalier while ogling the Randolph-Macon girls as you consume the aforementioned drinks.

There was a blurbette today from the Washington Business Journal about a chain looking to expand, through new franchisees, into DC/Balto. Can anyone comment about the quality of Steak n Shake's food? The shake mentioned in the article caught my attention.

Based in Indianapolis, Steak n Shake (NYSE: SNS) currently has more than 450 restaurants in 20 states. The restaurant serves steakburger sandwiches, French fries and a bevy of milkshakes, including its Hand-dipped Turtle Caramel Nut Sippable Sundae Milk Shake.

There was a blurbette today from the Washington Business Journal about a chain looking to expand, through new franchisees, into DC/Balto. Can anyone comment about the quality of Steak n Shake's food? The shake mentioned in the article caught my attention.

OOOOOOO. Steak and shake. *drools* I've been three times, to various ones in the general iowa area, and 6 years later, I STILL crave their food. There have been several occasions I have seriously considered driving the 400 or so miles to the nearest one in PA.

OOOOOOO. Steak and shake. *drools* I've been three times, to various ones in the general iowa area, and 6 years later, I STILL crave their food. There have been several occasions I have seriously considered driving the 400 or so miles to the nearest one in PA.

Steak and Shake seems to get fairly consistent good comments on such boards as Roadfood. Must have something good going on.

Holy Shit! :) I would be in heaven if Steak and Shake came to DC. Nothing fancy but seriously good fast-ish food.

Jennifer

Ditto!! Is this really going to happen? I LOVE steak n shake - I'm from STL, I thought they were based there, b/c they're everywhere in the lou. I grew up on steak n shake... mmmmmm frisco melts and cheese fries and triple steak burgers.... :)

I just remembered another good burger I had, in a most unlikely place: In the snack bar at the Hains Point golf course (East Potomac Park, in SW DC). I had previously heard that Bill Clinton considered it the best burger in DC. That may or may not be apocryphal. (More likely, Clinton considered the burger he had most recently eaten to be the best burger in town.) But after hearing that, I ordered one instead of the half-smoke I usually get there.

It was, indeed, a juicy, tasty burger. It was very basic -- basic bun, basic toppings, basic slab of grilled ground beef -- but the price is right, and it gives you an excuse to spoil a good walk on the golf course.

The secret is the grilled onion pieces that are on every burger . . .

Mel introduced me to the bacon cheeseburger at the Boulevard Woodgrill in Arlington. Prior to that I had made an occassionaly stop at Whitlows for the 1/2 price burger night. Recently I discovered Arties burger which ranks up up there with the Woodgrill salty, cheesey, drippy burgers with a bun willing to soak it all up.

Finally, I made it to an In-n-Out. They've been expanding through Northern California, and can be found at various points along US101 or El Camino Real.

I ordered a 2x2 animal-style, and had the fries animal'd as well. The burger toppings were better than just about any burger chain I can think of - very crisp. fresh, well-chosen and not too wet, and while the fries themselves were merely good, the animal treatment (fried onions, cheese, special sauce) put them over the top. But the burger patties themselves were on the small side, and came up low on char and medium on flavor. This was a very good burger, much better than anything from the mega-chains, but IMHO not as flavorful as either Five Guys (all over the $#@ East Coast) or Whataburger (across the South)...and only because of the patties.

Finally, I made it to an In-n-Out. They've been expanding through Northern California, and can be found at various points along US101 or El Camino Real.

I ordered a 2x2 animal-style, and had the fries animal'd as well. The burger toppings were better than just about any burger chan I can think of - very crisp. fresh, well-chosen and not too wet, and while the fries themselves were merely good, the animal treatment (fried onions, cheese, special sauce) put them over the top. But the burger patties themselves were on the small side, and came up low on char and medium on flavor. This was a very good burger, much better than anything from the mega-chains, but IMHO not as flavorful as either Five Guys (all over the $#@ East Coast) or Whataburger (across the South)...and only because of the patties.

Same impression that I had when I was there once. The patties are weak as compared to the fabulous toppings.