Chain Restaurant Nutrition Information

JPW

ever since the Hardee's chain introduced the Thick and Monster Thick burger lines they have reporting 19 consecutive months of same-store sales growth, with some stores reporting 20% increases in burger sales. The Monster Thick weighs in at a colossus 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat!

I found one nugget from the article just plain depressing:

fast food and casual dining chains -- which together account for three out of four U.S. restaurant visits

I understand that in some cases, chains and fast food are better options than the locally owned greasy spoon on the corner. But three-quarters of all restaurant visits? Who are these people, and what are they doing in my country?

I understand that in some cases, chains and fast food are better options than the locally owned greasy spoon on the corner.  But three-quarters of all restaurant visits?  Who are these people, and what are they doing in my country?

Evidently the same people who decide which are the best restaurants for the Washington Post :P

I understand that in some cases, chains and fast food are better options than the locally owned greasy spoon on the corner.  But three-quarters of all restaurant visits?  Who are these people, and what are they doing in my country?

They are the people who live in pretty much every small-to-mid sized town in this country. When I used to travel for business I was shocked at how many times my only option for literally MILES in any direction was a chain: Applebees, Red Rooster, Bennigans, etc. etc. Take out was a different story, but not what you are normally looking for. Once in awhile you could find the odd tavern with good food, or the little mom n' pop joint that served something good, but often the chains were the best bet. And until I was forced to do it, I would never have imagined myself saying that. Part of it had to do with the fact that chains are attracted to hotels that in turn attract business travelers. And when you ask the locals where to eat and they reach the end of their list of chains, that's it. Seriously. Finding good food became a part time job!

Of course this wasn't true in every town, but in a lot of them.

The press release is interesting because iirc, the local chapter of the National Restaurant Association fought against the NYC trans-fat-nutritional-caloric listing legislation.

But now that several states and cities have passed their own laws, the restaurant association is in favor of a national standard. Their members would much rather have one law that they could follow around the country than have to deal with a patchwork of state and local regulations.