Mochi

What do you mean by "mochi"? The things porcupine refers to are probably actually daifuku. I've seen them at most Japanese markets, so I'd imagine Hana Market on U Street would have them. Hana Market would probably also have kiri-mochi, the hard rectangles of mochi usually used for grilling. I haven't seen the small, somewhat softer discs of mochi around here. And, with the exception of mochi-covered ice cream, I haven't seen mochi on menus.

What do you mean by "mochi"? The things porcupine refers to are probably actually daifuku. I've seen them at most Japanese markets, so I'd imagine Hana Market on U Street would have them. Hana Market would probably also have kiri-mochi, the hard rectangles of mochi usually used for grilling. I haven't seen the small, somewhat softer discs of mochi around here. And, with the exception of mochi-covered ice cream, I haven't seen mochi on menus.

In the kiri-mochi world, another wonderful product, which I've seen at most Whole Foods and organic markets, is Grainaissance Mochi. They bake up beautifully on my oven's permanent resident, a pizza stone. Try the cinnamon raisin variety. Infinite dessert possibilities and no one ever believes the impressive nutrition specs. Ridiculously easy to make and delicious.

("luck is like having a rice dumpling fly into your mouth")

(a japanese proverb)

(and recent mochi tweet)

What do you mean by "mochi"? <snip> I haven't seen the small, somewhat softer discs of mochi around here.

Well, Daruma used to sell them before they went out of business and Super H Mart in Fairfax had the Korean-styled rice cakes, which was great, warm and soft (when fresh). But I am hearing the call of freshly made mochi for the Spring picnic. Can you hear it too?

But I am hearing the call of freshly made mochi for the Spring picnic. Can you hear it too?

Coincidentally, we're trying to make plans with a friend to do a Japanese-style cherry blossom viewing, and our friend suggested making daifuku. I have mochi flour and a recipe for bean paste. . .

Coincidentally, we're trying to make plans with a friend to do a Japanese-style cherry blossom viewing, and our friend suggested making daifuku. I have mochi flour and a recipe for bean paste. . .

Would you mind posting the recipe? Whether it's called mochi or daifuku, I love it.

My opinion only: Both the ramen and mochi scene in DC are sadly lacking. The best ice-cream mochi I have had in the US is in a little Japanese restaurant in NYC. None of the frozen stuff compares, as part of the delight of mochi is the consistency and freshness. If anyone knows of a place in the DC area that makes FRESH mochi, I'd be up for trying some!