Morso and Morso Express, Georgetown - Closed

New Turkish-influenced siblings coming to Georgetown. Apparently, Morso Express will open tomorrow followed by the more formal Morso in April. Chef Ed Witt's bio from his Facebook page sounds reasonably interesting:

"With an emphasis on locally-sourced, farm-fresh ingredients and a modern approach to classic American fare, Witt (Varietal, Il Buco) and his style of cooking are a true representation of what the chef himself stands for: creative, out-of-the-box, and unfussy. . .Witt’s journey to Morso began at the Culinary Institute of America and led directly to San Francisco’s famed Rubicon, where he worked under Tracy Des Jardins. Witt’s Rubicon stint led to two additional years in San Francisco – first at Jardinière and later at mc². In 1998, Witt returned to New York City as part of the reopening team at Restaurant Daniel before earning himself a position as chef de cuisine at Nicole’s on the Upper East Side. In search of new adventures and greater challenges, Witt moved on to become the executive chef at Il Buco and later the short-lived, but highly-ambitious Varietal. After spending a month traveling and eating in Turkey, Ed looks forthcoming [sic] opening of Morso."

H/t: Washington Business Journal via the Georgetown Voice.

Just finished a tasty take-out lunch from Morso Express. It still has that new restaurant smell and feel, but I am impressed for a place that has only been open three days. I had the pistachio lamb kebab platter. The lamb was in the form of a kofta, rather than chunks of lamb, and it was tender and well-spiced. It was served on top of a bulgur pilaf (normally, served with white rice, but I was told that they were serving the bulgur instead today). The bulgur was perhaps a bit oversalted, but that didn't stop me from eating all of it. With the platter, you also get a choice of two meze from a list of six. I chose the crushed potato salad and the babaganoush--both of which were quite good and refined. The platter was $12--a bit pricey, but I'm not hungry after having wiped my container clean.

The same lamb kebab is available as a wrap ($8) with a choice of many toppings and sauces. The menu also includes a variety of other wraps, salads, flatbreads, and meze. The restaurant itself is small with a very modern decor and a communal table that probably seats six.

All in all, it seems like Georgetown has gained a much-needed additional lunch option. I'll definitely return, and I look forward even more so to seeing what they do at the more formal Morso (sorry).

They're definitely working out some kinks- our food came out late, but brought personally by the chef so he could explain that he wasn't happy with how one of the cooks turned it out the first time. Got a free orange juice out it, but the personal explanation was easily enough.

Had the Pede, which are thin flatbread pizzas that I'm having a difficult job describing. The dough looks like a very crispy crepe, with the edges folded up around the sides to make it generally football shaped. The lamb pede was the thin bread with a thin spread of ground lamb and spices, which I thought was excellent. The sucok pede was essentially resembled a pepperoni and cheese pizza, but with sujok sausage and salty mediterranean cheese. I preferred the lamb, though. Both were a little greasy and salty, but sometimes that helps get you through the day.

Worth checking out, especially after they find their legs. The sit-down restaurant next door looks like its coming along quickly.

Anyone else see this via @nycnell?

"Breaking News: Ed Witt has parted ways w/ the new Morso/Morso Express. Creative differences cited. Morso will close until further notice"

confirmation?

Wow! I was just there last Thursday and he was there.

Is it just me or does it seem like many places lose their opening chef right after (or before) they open.

If you try OT, here is the result. You can make reservations for later in the week.

we apologise for the inconvenience, but due to AC problem in the building we will be forced to close our doors From Sunday 6/6 until Wed 6/9.

Morso's Facebook page was updated a little while ago. It says that Morso is closed temporarily, but will re-open shortly.

I could not find a single thing on the internet that said both Morso and Morso Express are permanently closed, but they are. There are court notices posted on the windows, stickers from vendors saying 'our products are inside this building, please do not remove without calling us' and a For Lease sign on both establishments.