Comfort Dishes, Guilty Pleasures, and Old Favorites

DaveBVI

Excellent comfort food: leftover white rice, cooked on the stovetop with milk or cream and a ton of butter. Cook it until it thickens, and salt the dickens out of it. Great gruel!

I miss the old Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup, you could never get all the lumps of "cream" out. God, I loved those lumps. Now it's smooth and 98% Fat Free. Who wants fat free cream soup?

Excellent comfort food: leftover white rice, cooked on the stovetop with milk or cream and a ton of butter. Cook it until it thickens, and salt the dickens out of it. Great gruel!
This may belong in the 'weird things you eat' thread. I love Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup on a cold day, but I add lots of frozen corn and season with salt, cumin, cinammon, and coriander. It gives it this weird Indian-style flavour, while the corn reminds me of chinese chicken and corn soup. It's all good.

Hot taco sauce and velveeta microwaved together to make "nacho cheese." A bag of Tostitos. Godfather II.
With a Chablis 1er Cru. A Grand Cru would just fuck with the subtle flavors of the cheeze whiz... I mean Velveeta... right?

The Chablis is a good choice if you're using a mild taco sauce, but with the hot stuff (and the extra ground cumin I often throw in to give it that gourmet touch) I prefer something more Rhone-ish, like a good Vacqueyras with a couple of years on it.

I'm thinking, though, maybe a nice Italian red and a good Spaghetti Western, something Sergio Leon-ish. Fusion cusisine and cinema. I'll call for a wine recommendation.

For cheap eats consider EL Ranchero at 4617 Wilson Blvd in Arlington, between Glebe and George Mason. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they have $1 tacos and $1 beer (actually the $6 pitcher is a better deal). The taco shells, chips and salsa are freshly made. Not bad at all. Can't beat the price. Under new management.

For cheap eats consider EL Ranchero at 4617 Wilson Blvd in Arlington, between Glebe and George Mason. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they have $1 tacos and $1 beer (actually the $6 pitcher is a better deal). The taco shells, chips and salsa are freshly made. Not bad at all. Can't beat the price. Under new management.

The first night I ever met Charlie Geer, we cross-tasted an 89 Haut-Brion and an 89 La Mission Haut-Brion. Fear him....

Welcome, Chas! D

The first night I ever met Charlie Geer, we cross-tasted an 89 Haut-Brion and an 89 La Mission Haut-Brion. Fear him....

Welcome, Chas! D

What that before, after, or during your dinner at El Ranchero?

Bacon cheeseburger, how do I love thee...

It is, I believe, the most widely offensive food commonly available in America--the beef+cheese gets the Jews; the bacon gets the Muslims; the beef gets the Hindus; the meat gets the veg-heads, and the Catholics on some Fridays; the meat and the cheese get the vegans; the bun gets the gluten allergists and the carbophobes.

Is that why you are so compelling? Your vast taboo-ness?

No, I think it is your juicy meatiness in concert with your creamy, sharp cheese and the smoky, crisp resistance of your bacon, evened out by your lovely bun. A slather of ketchupmustardmayo plays a supporting character that somehow manages to uplift the beef-pork-cheese-bread perfection. Like William Hurt's nine minutes in 'A History of Violence.'

Remove any one of these elements, and you find yourself adrift in familiar pedestrianville.

Oh, bacon cheeseburger. If Keats had his druthers, he would have composed an ode on you.

I don't have a name for this:

Three eggs

Wee dash of milk

Cooked, sauce-gripping pasta (rotini, macaroni)

Small pile of assorted grated cheese

Scramble the eggs together with the pasta and cheese until the eggs set inside the pasta, delicately plate it, then stripe the top of it with rooster sauce.

I can generally only eat this if my body has just finished fighting something off, like the flu or a mountain lion.

Bacon cheeseburger, how do I love thee...

It is, I believe, the most widely offensive food commonly available in America--the beef+cheese gets the Jews; the bacon gets the Muslims; the beef gets the Hindus; the meat gets the veg-heads, and the Catholics on some Fridays; the meat and the cheese get the vegans; the bun gets the gluten allergists and the carbophobes.

Is that why you are so compelling? Your vast taboo-ness?

No, I think it is your juicy meatiness in concert with your creamy, sharp cheese and the smoky, crisp resistance of your bacon, evened out by your lovely bun. A slather of ketchupmustardmayo plays a supporting character that somehow manages to uplift the beef-pork-cheese-bread perfection. Like William Hurt's nine minutes in 'A History of Violence.'

Remove any one of these elements, and you find yourself adrift in familiar pedestrianville.

Oh, bacon cheeseburger. If Keats had his druthers, he would have composed an ode on you.

I hate it when people do this to a perfect post, but.....

put a fried egg, over easy, on top of that sumbitch and you got something even more offensively great, the one-eye bacon cheeseburger, aka the Gusburger if you ever lived in Charlottesville, though homemade and 1/3 lb and rare plus beats the pants off the 2oz frozen patty, well done, at the White Spot. Where, in dubious addition, the yolk used to be pierced and cooked through so as not to spurt out when you bit into it, a precaution you don't need to take at home...

Quick review: Went Friday night for drinks and dinner; the chips were sufficiently salted; the second margarita was a bit too sacharine; the taco al carbon hit the spot; refried beans are never a personal favorite; and, all things considered, service was acceptable for a busy Friday night on a patio (although my dining companions greatly disagreed and were vocal enough about it that I feared for my food :blink: ).

Better still, the price: $26 (including tax & tip) for two drinks each and entree.

Hmmm... sounds like a $20 Tuesday.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Shamrock Shakes are back at McDonald's, and Cadbury Eggs are hatching at a local CVS near you.

During Lenten seasons of yore, I have given up alcohol, meat, spening money on anything that is not absolutely nessary, fried foods, and even bow-chicka-wow-wow. But I have yet to attempt forgoeing Shamrock Shakes and Cadbury Eggs until Easter. Because life is too short, I am too weak, and these seasonal guilty pleasures are just too good.

I'm not the only one who has guilty gastronomic pleasures....right?

You know, like Popeye's fried chicken, or shiny Americanized Chinese with gloppy egg rolls and bright red spare ribs....or drinking Tippy's Taco queso like a cup of cocoa, right down the throat at midnight after a night of drinking.

I saw the Bourdain episode of Parts Unknown in Los Angeles, where he and the artist went to Sizzler....on a visit to LA last week, there was a Sizzler on the way to LAX, and I hit it hard. A 12-ounce steak of not bad quality, the incredible salad and hot food all-you-can-eat bar, and a glass of okay pinot noir, plus tax and tip, at just over $25. Yes, I truly loved it in a guilty kind of way, and I can't wait to get back there and do it again.

The closest we had in this area was Sir Walter Raleigh back in the day....I miss that guilty pleasure too.

• Like 1

I'm not the only one who has guilty gastronomic pleasures....right?

You know, like Popeye's fried chicken, or shiny Americanized Chinese with gloppy egg rolls and bright red spare ribs....or drinking Tippy's Taco queso like a cup of cocoa, right down the throat at midnight after a night of drinking.

I saw the Bourdain episode of Parts Unknown in Los Angeles, where he and the artist went to Sizzler....on a visit to LA last week, there was a Sizzler on the way to LAX, and I hit it hard. A 12-ounce steak of not bad quality, the incredible salad and hot food all-you-can-eat bar, and a glass of okay pinot noir, plus tax and tip, at just over $25. Yes, I truly loved it in a guilty kind of way, and I can't wait to get back there and do it again.

The closest we had in this area was Sir Walter Raleigh back in the day....I miss that guilty pleasure too.

You do realize Sir Walter Raleigh was a borderline attempt at fine dining, right?

Is there a Guilty Pleasures thread (other than the Taco Bell thread) already? There must be.

The thought of drinking Tippy's queso (which is essentially Velveeta) is disgusting. I've used it in bulk as well, but at least put a chip in it.

I am currently a) approaching the third anniversary of the worst week of my life (i.e., the week my father went into the hospital for open-heart surgery and never woke up); and b ) nursing clinical depression (I have a love/hate relationship with fall). Leftover steamed rice warmed up with some sliced deli turkey and a healthy dose of chilli/garlic paste, plus a rye Manhattan with orange bitters might just be my new go-to in depression cuisine.

• Like 2

Comfort: Sapporo Ichiban chow mein style noodles, fried egg with gochujang and furikake on top. Great for hangover, depression and just plain munchies.

Guilt: Bobby's Burger Palace Bobby Blue Burger, medium rare, CRUNCHIFIED, with fries and side of mayo to alternate dipping with chipotle ketchup.

Put corn tortillas under the broiler till almost crisp. Then top with shredded low-grade pepper jack cheese and pickled japalenos. Broil till cheese melts. Press two together and eat like a sandwich. Always helps me beat the blues. Important to use cheap, grocery store pepper jack.

• Like 2

Put corn tortillas under the broiler till almost crisp. Then top with shredded low-grade pepper jack cheese and pickled japalenos. Broil till cheese melts. Press two together and eat like a sandwich. Always helps me beat the blues. Important to use cheap, grocery store pepper jack.

This is similar to what my Mother called "quesedillas." Only, you put a tortilla in a skillet, add jack cheese and a canned, whole green pepper on top. Flip half the tortilla over the other half and cook til the cheese melts. A little garlic salt was usually added. Haven't made one of those in more years than I can remember.

• Like 1

What, no canned retried beans? I like my quesadillas w/ Sargento 3 cheese Mexican blend, Pace piquante, Cholula, & sometimes, crumbled bacon- topped w/ guacamole-avocado, lime, salt, a little more piquante sauce- low brow, oily, but extremely comforting.

What, no canned retried beans? I like my quesadillas w/ Sargento 3 cheese Mexican blend, Pace piquante, Cholula, & sometimes, crumbled bacon- topped w/ guacamole-avocado, lime, salt, a little more piquante sauce- low brow, oily, but extremely comforting.

When I am low, making guacamole, crumbling bacon and doctoring up beans = too much trouble. Part of comfort food's ability to comfort is being ready very quickly. Your version sounds yummy...maybe something I will make while watching a day of college football.

When I am low, making guacamole, crumbling bacon and doctoring up beans = too much trouble. Part of comfort food's ability to comfort is being ready very quickly. Your version sounds yummy...maybe something I will make while watching a day of college football.

Well, I admit that it's precooked microwaved bacon, I just remove the lid of the refried beans & scoop out a couple of spoonfuls, the guacamole is the only thing that takes maybe 4 minutes, & I can eat the leftovers (topped w/ lime so it doesn't turn brown) w/ pretzels. I am a master of quick & dirty cooking....for college football, I make bean dip, which includes canned beans, & much more cheese & dairy products than the name would lead you to think.

Sorry, dcandohio, but what you are describing is convenience food, fast food produced at home. Comfort food is not by definition required to be ready very quickly. Maybe you require instant gratification in order to find food comforting, but I find the aroma of a hearty stew or soup as it simmers for hours on the stove or in the oven extremely comforting, and then eating it provides more satisfaction. What could be more comforting than a casserole or gratin that was lovingly assembled and then baked to a bubbly, crusty denoument? For those of us who love to cook, the assembling of the dish provides its own form of comfort: process as well as product. Being simultaneously hungry and lazy is quite another thing.

• Like 1

I'm going to take this a step further by saying that I don't equate comfort food with guilty pleasures. I'm having trouble with the title of the thread, though it goes back to the first post.  Zora is right about the pleasure derived from preparing the dish.

To me, Lipton's Onion Soup Dip is a guilty pleasure, since I enjoy eating it but know it's horrible for me to consume that much salt.   I don't think of that as a comfort food.  Actually, it's the opposite, as it makes me feel guilty to eat it, which isn't comforting.

• Like 1

Sorry, dcandohio, but what you are describing is convenience food, fast food produced at home. Comfort food is not by definition required to be ready very quickly. Maybe you require instant gratification in order to find food comforting, but I find the aroma of a hearty stew or soup as it simmers for hours on the stove or in the oven extremely comforting, and then eating it provides more satisfaction. What could be more comforting than a casserole or gratin that was lovingly assembled and then baked to a bubbly, crusty denoument? For those of us who love to cook, the assembling of the dish provides its own form of comfort: process as well as product. Being simultaneously hungry and lazy is quite another thing.

I AM those of us who love to cook (today, on my day off, I am making chili with home made chili powder), but sometimes when I am stressed and busy there are "instant gratification" tricks that I need. Not comfort food, but the 5 minute path to something that keeps me from either having a pizza delivered or eating ice cream...or something that makes me feel as if I have claimed a small victory over the seductive lure of crappy fast food or a trip to the convenience store for a horrible boxed, frozen meal. The cheese/tortilla thing is a vestige from my grad school days when I was too poor to do take-out and rarely had the ingredients for a real meal. It worked.

I don't like to be lazy sbout food. I usually feel guilty if I default to take-out on those occasions when time is tight and I don't even have eggs to scramble. I try to cook almost every day, but don't have the time required, most days, for anything slow simmered for hours and can't be home while a stove bakes for hours. So most days, dinner is just a chop or chicken or fish with a quick salad and side, or leftovers. I carry lunch to work every day, usually leftovers or salads or fruit and cheese.

When I do have time, I absolutely take the comfort food route. But it's not easy to do it more than once or twice a week. My work schedule changes every 7 weeks, my partner works out of town and her schedule is highly irregular. It is stressful and not conducive to a regular, daily dinner or cooking schedule. So when I can fill the house with the lovely smells of something bubbling away, I do. Sometimes the cheese and tortilla and a beer is all I can manage, and I have given myself permission to beOK about occasionally creating instantly gratifying fast food at home.

Why don't we call this category of food "instagrat" instead of "comfort food"? You certainly don't need anyone's permission to fix something fast for yourself that you find satisfying. That's totally legitimate. This is merely a semantic difference of opinion. And I certainly would not want to be considered "anti-semantic."

• Like 2

You could always split this into two threads: "Comfort Dishes" and "Guilty Pleasures".  Both phrases are right there in the title.  Why are people quibbling?  :unsure:

Both comforting and guilty pleasure (because it's so unhealthy): noodles with lots of butter and Parmesan cheese.

• Like 1

You could always split this into two threads: "Comfort Dishes" and "Guilty Pleasures".  Both phrases are right there in the title.  Why are people quibbling?  :unsure:

Both comforting and guilty pleasure (because it's so unhealthy): noodles with lots of butter and Parmesan cheese.

Or merge "Old Favorites" into this one, perhaps?

Well, after literally the worst work day of my 20+ career (with a terrible head cold to boot), I went straight from my meeting to Bobby's Burger Palace because it was close-by and wallowed in a crunchified burger, perfectly medium rare, for comfort.

As comforting as that was, I later came home to a big mug of wonderfully rich, long-simmered, homemade wild mushroom broth -- my new favorite comfort food.