The Customer is Always ...

Andelman

I think Miami Danny was referring to me in his last post...

Anyway, I actually enjoy the back and forth, Miami Danny. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, and I certainly appreciate hearing yours. But basically what you are saying is, it is okay for the general public to complain about their experiences, yet it is not okay for "entitled" business owners to complain about their experiences. First of all, you weren't there, so your knowledge of the situation and exchange with the bunny lady is pretty much nil. As for the Yelp review, I never lashed out at the person here. When her totally off the mark review was posted on Yelp, I immediately contacted her to discuss the situation. Once I explained things to her, she then changed the review. That is the problem with Yelp reviews. This woman was passing judgement on me based on one 5 minute visit to my store. She went as far as to write "mamas beware!" in her post as she thought I had a problem with her kids (I most certainly didn't). Do you know how offensive that is to me as a parent and a person in general? Call me thin-skinned if you want, but when someone personally attacks you online, for everyone to see, well, let's see how you like it. So for me to complain about an annoying customer, in an anonymous way, really isn't a problem in my eyes. I was merely trying to share an experience I had and whether or not the 'customer limit' was a good idea.

Also, for what it is worth, I think this is the first time I have ever complained about a customer in an online forum. I wish the same thing could be said about all the Yelp a-holes that trash businesses on a daily basis.

Dear God, I have a bunch a people due to tomorrow for a dinner of fresh pea soup, rack of lamb, and rhubarb crisp and now I think the dinner will be a complete FAILURE if I don't offer those damn caramel bunnies. Seriously, I have a container of fillings for chocolate truffles in the freezer and am wondering if I shouldn't melt some chocolate RIGHT NOW and enrobe those suckers to offer as an after-dessert lagniappe. I say this as someone who has long made truffles to give as gifts for Christmas. AND as someone who bought some really beautiful-looking chocolates for somebody else's dinner. They looked fabulous, but were just TASTELESS. Not Jason's, of course, but they came from a formerly-reputable retailer of chocolates. Were they good? No, they were not. I was completely embarrassed.

Jason, stick to your guns. Offer the best product you can. Set whatever limits you must. You will prevail.

Jason, here's a case of what happens when one doesn't set limits...and poses another question of whether a HUGE sale outweighs the common sense of setting limits.

We were appointed to bring a chicken for a family get-together tomorrow, which meant a trip to Costco. We realized late in the day that Costco is actually closed tomorrow, so we'd better get there ASAP. We arrived at a little before 5, and I made a bee-line to the back for the chicken. What I found was a group of very upset customers. From what I could glean, a woman had come in earlier and ordered 45 chickens. She paid in advance, but apparently when she paid, she upped the amount of how many she wanted. So, when customers had asked when the next batch would be done, they were told to come back in 10 minutes. Many were standing and waiting for that period. (That is when I arrived) So this group of people waited patiently expecting to get a chicken, but then another worker came over and instructed them to pack up the entire batch of 16 chickens to give to the woman who already had 45.

One man called the management office and asked to have a manager come back to the department. The manager came back, but did not handle the situation well. Basically he justified that the woman paid for the chickens, therefore he had to give them to her. But since she upped her order without prior notice, maybe she should have been made to wait for another batch and let the poor souls who had been waiting a chance to have a chicken as well. (In my past experience, I've been told it's always "first come, first served" and that one cannot pre-order a quantity of chicken). At this point, the very last batch was being put on to cook as they take an hour, and the store closes at 6. Since I had just arrived, I put my name in to wait for a chicken from the last batch, but the rest of the crowd was not able to wait and was quite unhappy.

There were some customers who were aggressive and downright nasty. It was not a pretty sight, and could have been averted if handled differently from the get-go. I would have purchased two chickens myself, but by the time the last batch came out the manager was now all for setting limits ;) so those that were still waiting could each have one.

So does one keep to their set limits, or go for the huge sale, as this manager decided to do? And at the risk of alienating the customer base?

Well now that Easter is over, I think you should make some of these caramels into other shapes beyond bunnies, flowers perhaps so now that we are all drooling over these things we can come get them (2 per customer per day of course) :lol: I would eat bunnies still too though.

Very sorry you had a bad day. Just think of the three people who all got bunnies and didn't fight with each other about them. Who probably had to suffer with that person all through Easter brunch. They really did deserve three bunnies for that. It would be nice if she had said "I have three grandchildren and I really would like three." But sometimes people for whatever reason just don't think to say those things. Perhaps because they are having a bad day too.

I think the, "Is it good?" They are really asking "Do you personally like it?" Which I am not sure why people ask that question because everyone has different tastes and you can't tell by looking at someone if they have similar taste to you, but I think it is a good sign they are trusting you with giving them personal guidance. So take it is a compliment that they trust your good judgment in taste and not that they think you would sell something bad. And tell them that you don't think the caramel bunnies are good.

I think the, "Is it good?" They are really asking "Do you personally like it?" Which I am not sure why people ask that question because everyone has different tastes and you can't tell by looking at someone if they have similar taste to you, but I think it is a good sign they are trusting you with giving them personal guidance. So take it is a compliment that they trust your good judgment in taste and not that they think you would sell something bad. And tell them that you don't think the caramel bunnies are good.

I think what they are asking is: will I like it? They are seeking reassurance that they are not going to buy something they will dislike, as if you could magically know what their taste is.

Back to your original question: I think it's perfectly reasonable to set a limit for a fast-selling item so you can reach as many customers as possible. Your shop, your rules. HOWEVER, the people you are hoping to dissuade with your polite sign will be the exact individuals who are sure that their needs surmount some little sign. If they bother to take note of it. Sigh. So the sign won't stop the tools, but, as others suggest, it gives you something to point to when you oh-so-politely refuse their "requests"!

Also, I've been guilty of the "Is it good?" and similar assorted questions (though never in *your* store. I think.) and have never thought of how it might feel to the askee. I assure you I'm not denigrating the selections, just trying to affirm my own choices by polling the available informed populace. If the folks who work there and, presumably, eat there day in and day out have a strong preference, I want to consider that in my decision-making process. But I'll think about my phrasing more carefully next time I ask.

Finally, yes, please, to the idea that we should have more shaped caramel treats throughout the year. The bunnies were sooooooo good!

Thanks everyone for your words and advice.

As for other shaped caramels, I would need to see what kind of molds we can get that are seasonal (and not super cheesy).

I will take the 'Is it good?" questions from now on with a pleasant smile......

-j