Sushi Rock, Courthouse - Soft Opening

[Yaku] To close in January, being replaced by "Rock N Roll Sushi," operated by the folks who run Public Bar in Dupont South.

Sushi Rock at 1900 Clarendon Blvd near Courthouse is supposed to open on Monday.

Tim Carman had an article about the concept and another one where he reported the chef will be a former sous chef from Sei, Sonny Tena. I would be more skeptical (and still am particularly about the screaming hard rock part), but I did like the sushi I had at Sei.

From the Urban Daddy report on this place:

The DJs will play nothing but headbanging classics, treating you and your (possibly fishnet-clad) date to nonstop power chords while you choose between the Pink Floyd (salmon ceviche with cucumber salad) and the Dream On Roll (bacon, kimchi and sundried tomato).

Put me down as doubtful ;)

There's a Sushi Rock here in Columbus, where I spend a lot of time. It's an OK place for drinks, but the food is mediocre and over priced (certainly for this market) and the location here attracts a lot of hipster wannabes. You can get better sushi and steak elsewhere.

How much of that is really the sous chef, though? I would imagine it's mostly a function of the quality of fish they are able to source there.

Don't know about that restaurant in particular, but sous chefs typically play an integral role in tasting sample products and purchasing.

Is there any confirmation of the opening? The phone number listed on Urban Daddy is the old Yaku number which is disconnected. There's no mention of the restaurant on Sushi Rock's Ohio website, and the DC website is essentially non-functional. It also seems like there are several Sushi Rocks around the country (San Francisco, Miami, etc.) that are unrelated to the ones in Ohio, and I wonder if that isn't the case here.

Is there any confirmation of the opening? The phone number listed on Urban Daddy is the old Yaku number which is disconnected. There's no mention of the restaurant on Sushi Rock's Ohio website, and the DC website is essentially non-functional. It also seems like there are several Sushi Rocks around the country (San Francisco, Miami, etc.) that are unrelated to the ones in Ohio, and I wonder if that isn't the case here.

I remember reading about this place on Young and Hungry - it's not related to the OH restaurant.

Here is a link from the Arlington Now website - it includes a phone number at the end of the article.

Apparently.

From the Urban Daddy report on this place:

The DJs will play nothing but headbanging classics, treating you and your (possibly fishnet-clad) date to nonstop power chords while you choose between the Pink Floyd (salmon ceviche with cucumber salad) and the Dream On Roll (bacon, kimchi and sundried tomato).

Put me down as doubtful :lol:

I have a bit of a problem referring to Aerosmith, AC/DC and Pink Floyd as "metal," but that is for another board, I suppose...

Is there any confirmation of the opening?

Forgot to get all the details but the future bar manager for here said that the grand opening is next Monday (I think, but it could be Wednesday) even though the doors are open. I will double-check again and edit my post.

Forgot to get all the details but the future bar manager for here said that the grand opening is next Monday (I think, but it could be Wednesday) even though the doors are open. I will double-check again and edit my post.

I checked - they began their soft opening this past Monday, and are accepting walk-ins. They have most (but not all) of the sushi menu available, and various other items not quite ready - the patio furniture, for example, has not been delivered. This week will simply not reflect the final product, and any reviews should be tempered accordingly.

Cheers,

Rocks