Sidebar, Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring - Bar Owned by and Right Next Door to Jackie's - Closed

On 9/11/2009 at 1:50 PM, DonRocks said:

If someone were to ask me, last week, off the top of my head, who our city’s greatest chefs are under the age of 30, I would have been able to quickly name two: Johnny Monis from Komi, and Logan Cox from New Heights

But now I can name a third - someone who might be every bit their equal in the kitchen, someone with superstar potential who seems, at least to me, destined for greatness. One of our city’s most promising talents: the extraordinary 27-year-old wonderchild from Chicago, Diana Dávila Boldin.

On 4/3/2010 at 11:31 AM, cheezepowder said:

According to Tom Sietsema, she's going to Jackie's.

I got a chance to try some of the snacks she prepared at a soft opening of Sidebar [DCist related article look]. The Chicago dog was fantastic, and her tamales are also amazing. The tamales were not too grainy, and the chicken was very moist. Even simple ideas such as flavored potato chips, and the truffled popcorn were great. She also did a very cool tortilla chip made from black rice topped with a little salsa. Housemade bread also fantastic. Lots to look forward to from Diana Davila, I think.

A friend & I had drinks & snacks here tonight. My mai tais ($9) were delicious, as was the guacamole ($8) & the steak sandwich on foccacia ($10). My only quibbles were that the tortilla chips needed a little salt, and the sandwich would have benefited from a flavored mayo to go with the arugula, fontina, and pickled red onions. Maybe a garlicky mayo? Just a little something to moisten it. The potato chips that came with it were so good that I nearly slapped the bartender's hand when he tried to clear my plate before they were gone.

Good cocktail list & food, Elvis Costello on the sound system, and less than a mile from my house? I may have found my new local...

Well, holy hot damn! Lisa and I had our first post-Spawn date night and we decided to pay this place a visit.

Sidebar may mean the end of visits to The Passenger and Proof. Sure, they don't have the selection of those bars, but the bartenders do a damn fine job with what MoCo will provide them. There is ample and comfortable seating, great tunes played at a comfortable volume, and you can actually hear people talk (take note, Passenger). The snacks they serve are excellent and we're looking forward to the Tuesday raw bar menu.

And it's only steps away from Ray's and Pacci's so plenty of post-drinking dining options (or should that be post-dining drinking options?). I love this place!

At the risk of being effusive about yet another place, I would like to say that Lisa, Devin and I went to Sidebar tonite for drinks,and to check out their Tuesday night raw bar.

The drinks continue to be fantastic - their ginger infused take on a Negroni was delicious! And my Perfect Manhattan was...well...as advertised. The raw bar is limited in scope with just 3 types of oysters, and three plated dishes. But given their menu on any other day, this is in keeping with the standard M.O. We grabbed a dozen VA oysters (accompanied by a nice mignonette sauce) and spoons of salmon tartare with creme fraiche and caviar. The latter was disappointing, in that the creme fraiche overcame the taste of the fish somehow (farmed salmon, perhaps)? But the oysters were tasty and went nicely with our drinks.

We couldn't stay too long - didn't want Child Protective Services after us - but if you live in the SS/TP/Wheaton area, then this place deserves your business. People elsewhere might as well just go into the District for their cocktails...but it's nice having a "local". I hope this place succeeds.

Friday's Happy Hour outing to Sidebar was my first visit to this new corner in Silver Spring. Built by taking walls down that separated three contiguous beauty salons, this is more spacious than it initially appears. Decor includes shabby chic chandeliers, a pool table and several tables. There's a small cook area that, in the disco era, may have been a DJ booth. The food prep is fueled by an electric griddle and hotplate. I'm not sure which items on the food menu are supplied by the kitchen next door.

The flavors of the drinks and food are brightened by the ingredients grown on their rooftop garden. Too bad they weren't as fortunate as Joe Squared with their farming equipment. [edit to add: Joe's moved the farmette from his roof to a greenhouse in a building across the street.]

I enjoyed my Martinez and Bison Meatloaf Slider. The guac relied too heavily on raw, red onion for its bite. Overall, a winner.

Best cocktail bar I've found in the area so far. Selection behind the bar is small so going off-menu is limited but what they have is better than the PX or The Gibson...especially if you're into the NY brown & boozy style. The Quackerack is a fantastic Sazerac/Vieux Carre variation. By chipping their own ice they avoid a major problem with DC cocktails (i.e. the Tabard Inn would be good if they didn't have horrid ice..completely ruins their drinks).

Given some of the recent conversations regarding the price of a drink in this town, I feel it’s my duty to point out the fact that, with the exception of a few cocktails using especially old or expensive spirits (aptly noted on the menu as “look at my fancy pants”), every drink is priced at 10 dollars ($6 from 5-7). Worth every penny.

The bar “snacks” are also fantastic – truffle potato chips are addicting.

• Like 1