Rocklands Barbecue and Grilling Company - Local Grilling Company In Several Area Locations

I don't think Rocklands is any bastion of great BBQ but I would much rather enjoy their onion rings and a sandwich than set foot in Red Hot and Blue.

Maybe they also vary by location, but the Rockvile location of Rocklands is even below the Gaithersburg RH&B. Nothing edible there.

Can't speak to any location other than Arlington, but great sides, including the unconventional coleslaw (peas, carrots, cabbage) and mac and cheese. While the pulled pork can be both dry and watery (how do they do that?), the house barbeque sauce is pretty tasty - tangy with a touch of heat - and perks up the offering considerably.

I agree with you and ktmoomau. Chicken is best avoided. The dry and watery comment comports with my experiences. Still, Rocklands is a nice addition to the neighborhood if expect nothing special. And the sauce is good. Certainly better than RedHBlue. At least for me, the present location is far easier to roll in and out of in my Bentley as compared to the prior site which offered demolition derby ingress/egress.

The outside mural is kinda cool.

Coming from the land where BBQ prefrences have lead to friendships ending (Kansas) I will tread lightly.

I'm not a Carolina BBQ fan, nor am I a fan of very spicy BBQ - this is a personal failing on my part but it is my prefrence.

So I'm much more into the cooking of the BBQ then the sause, a good slow cooked rib with a nice flavorful but not spicy rub is just what I want.

We saw a sign for Rocklands BBQ on the way home a few weeks ago (Just off Duke Street near Quaker in Alexandria) so the other night when Pooch had to work late enough that his bus had stopped running and I picked him up we swung by and grabbed some to go home.

They started out with a bonus point for the "Ask us about dog bones" so the dog Teddy Bear thinks this is the best place ever since we had to let him try.

We go a half slab of both the pork and the beef ribs. The beef was a bit fatty for me (Pooch's was supposidly bettter) but the Pork - wow - I have found my rib place I can stop looking now.

Grabbing a half slab of port ribs on the way home will be come a regular addition to our food rotation.

Star

Its game week at Rocklands - Bison steak sandwich, Ostrich Burger and Elk Sausage on collard greens. Had the sausage, pretty good, even though it was a little too charred for my taste. It was packed on Monday, although that's probably due to Monday's free pulled pork sandwich with purchase of a beer deal.

Wow! The elk sausage with collard greens were great! I mean fantastic!!!!! Please put this on the menu more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I met up with friends and enjoyed the patio with our dogs (and the rain held off). I had the elk sausage with a side of red beans and rice and it all tasted very good with a nice cold root beer. The elk was nicely grilled a little spicy, but not really spicy. The collards were cooked blissfully with a little bacon and had wonderful savory flavor, while retaining the strong flavor of collards. And the red beans and rice soaked up all that goodness and added just a little bit more savory goodness to the whole thing. I would come back again for this, often. Now I wish I could have tried more of the game menu. I think game is something that is a little harder to find in this area and it would be lovely for Rockland to have it often. Really seriously Ballston Rocklands, I live a couple blocks away, I would be there much more often if that was a regular thing.

I agree that Rocklands BBQ isn't the greatest, but for what it is it's pretty good. The atmosphere, the sides, the sauce... I like it. It's a good BBQ experience for what you get around here. I've never been to Urban in Rockville, so I can't compare. I've been to Rocklands numerous times, and it never disappoints.

I've only been to the Ballston location once. The pulled pork sandwich was extremely moist, but also extremely tasteless. I tried adding some of their BBQ sauce to it, but it was just an unhelpful self-served soup.

The fries were overly salty for my taste as well as limp.

The mac n cheese was also very unspectacular in any kind of regard.

The decor is very fun and lively though, and the food comes out so quickly.

I was not a fan of their game week. I had the bison steak sandwich. It was tough, and for $12.00 it was not a large portion, just the sandwich for that price.

I think the Ballston location has gone downhill a bit.

I am still a fan of the Rockland's Pearl - Pulled Pork, Mac & Cheese and Baked beans.

Went to Rocklands in Ballston last night and had the hot and spicy wings. These and the Pit Beef are my favorite things here. I wouldn't say they were all that spicy though, more umami actually. They had a sauce on them that wasn't terriyaki, but was like that flavor mixed with some BBQ flavor. But very good and meaty wings. And a fairly decent portion for the price.

It's their "Grills Gone Wild" again this week.

They have:
Grilled wild Alaskan halibut - served with caramelized onion rice and mango salsa
Wild boar sausages - on collard greens with honey mustard
Snapping turtle chili - with honey jalapeno cornbread and sherried sour cream
Muskrat poppers - served with curried red pepper cream

The turtle isn't in yet so they're offering:

Venison Half-Smokes with Cheese, "All the Way" with Kraut, Chili and Onions

My goal was to head over there for lunch and split some of the things with my brother - I especially want to try the muskrat as a) I'm a big Dork Tower fan and cool.gif I've never eaten muskrat. I figured we'd try the wild boar and venison as well.

FYI The wild Alaskan Halibut season opens March 12 at noon. THe first fish wont be in DC for at least 2-3 days.

Interesting, because they were trying hard to sell me some over the phone at the Arlington location. Okay, okay, they were just misunderstanding my order, but there was no indication that it hadn't arrived yet (unlike the turtle chili)...

But I'm not a huge fish guy and so I didn't order it. (Though I may have, had I seen your post first, just to see.)

I got 2 venison half-smokes all the way, 1 order of the wild boar sausage, 1 order of the muskrat poppers, and a couple of sides at the Arlington location and took it over to my brother's house for lunch (and so I could pick up Girl Scout cookies and extra parenthesis to use in my DR.com posts (since I'm always running low on those)).

He immediately devoured a venison half smoke and declared it good. It came with a side of cole slaw which he didn't care for much, but I never got around to trying it. I couldn't finish my half-smoke, but thought it was good, though brutally messy (why oh why did I wear a white shirt?). The half-smoke itself was a bit tough but not horribly so and had good flavor to it in my opinion. The kraut I barely noticed. I wouldn't mind trying this dog again just plain, like I eat most of my hot dogs (NO JOKES PLEASE).

Before the half-smoke, however, I had to try the muskrat poppers. I'd hoped they'd be just small nuggets of muskrat so I could call them muskrat balls and laugh "tee hee hee" to myself repeatedly because I am 12 years old. However, instead of that preparation (I guess I was imagining alligator bites at Claire and Don's for some reason) these were jalapenos stuffed with what appeared to be smoked/barbecued muskrat meat. (I did not dissect the poppers, I ate them!)

They had good heat to them - enough for me to say "oh, hey, there's some heat to them" and for my brother to say "OH NOES" and gargle water because he doesn't have me slipping red pepper into his food anymore when he's not looking to help toughen up his wussy side. I liked them, though there were only three of them in the order - I don't feel like that's too bad of a deal, as they came with a huge heapin' mess of soggy fries, but not enough to go out of my way for more muskrat.

(Unless John Kovalic was visiting town.)

The wild boar came over collard greens with honey mustard. It was fine. The greens were a bit on the "meh" side but I attribute that to two things: one, like the fries, I don't think the wait to eat them (i.e. them sitting in the restaurant waiting on me to remember that I was going the wrong way on Washington Boulevard (dear god, I hate Washington Boulevard sometimes) because I didn't bother to double-check where the hell I was before just blindly turning and then being picked up and driven to East Falls Church) helped them at all and two, I was getting pretty golly darn full by this point.

Looks can be deceiving, I can't eat as much as it might appear.

For the sides we had the baked beans (which I quite enjoyed, though when I make my own I like more spice), and the cole slaw (sigh, not knowing it came with the half-smokes, and which we didn't really touch).

All of that was about $35 - way too much food for the two of us, really, so not bad if we'd had three people.

All in all it was mostly for novelty value, but it wasn't BAD - I don't think it was good enough that I'd try to go back this week (except I really want to try that chili!) (and to investigate the halibut (tee hee hee I said butt)). I am happy I tried it, and now I will mark another animal on my "you are in my belly!" list.

(That is a very important list for me. Almost as important as my list of parenthesis suppliers.)

BACK TO EATING SOMOAS FOR ME! BACK TO WORK FOR Y'ALL!

FYI The wild Alaskan Halibut season opens March 12 at noon. THe first fish wont be in DC for at least 2-3 days.

Hi Dean - You were right, our wild line caught halibut is Pacific, not Alaskan. (We'd love to have you come taste it!.) Thanks for the correction. Debbie

So after a couple other trys... their pit beef seems to be one of the better options. I also like their sausage and collard green mix that they do when they have their wild game menu, I wish that was a full time item.

Was there for the Doorways fundraiser and they were cooking a whole pig. Unfortunately the part that I got was more like eating pork chop sandwich rather than pulled pork, but it was ok. And all for charity, so that was nice.

I continue to like their coleslaw which isn't very mayonnaise-y. Their fries were way over salty the last time I had them I couldn't eat very many. I continue to think that their sides are better than their meats. The greens, red beans and rice, coleslaw, cornbread, etc. are all good.

I had their ribs again and didn't add sauce and they were better, but still not great, but I find the sausages and pit beef and non-bbq items seem to hit it off more with me. And I love their draft root beer. I also love the outside patio and dog friendliness which is why I end up there more often than not.

For the first time in years, we were in town, playing host for Thanksgiving tonight. A few weeks ago, we looked at our busy Novenber calendar, shrugged our shoulders, and said: "looks like the family will be eating a takeout turkey," and after considering several options in VA, we settled on Rocklands. It was delicious.

Swung by the VA Square location yesterday and picked up a (pre-ordered) small (10-12 lb) smoked turkey, and sides of cornbread stuffing and bacon-chive mashed potatoes, to which we added our own sides, veg, and dessert.

At $45, the turkey was a steal. No comparison to the blah prepared birds from groceries, even the fancy one we were served from Wegnan's a few years back. As it reheated in the oven, the whole house filled with the delightful aroma of smoked meat. The skin came out dark, glossy, and crisp, the flesh moist. My mouth waters now thinking of tomorrow's leftovers. The sides were decent -- not amazing. A Thai chili sauce they served to accompany Was a little too sweet but tasty, and the gravy got few takers, but the bird was worth it.

If you have company coming for a holiday meal and can't do the cooking, put this down as one of your options.

Friday night we walked with the Pup down to Rocklands.  I got a lamb sandwich with potato salad and cucumbers.  What always happens here is I like the sides way more than the meat.  When they have had their game nights there have been sausages I really like.  I don't know why they don't have sausages (except for an Italian one) on the menu regularly.  The lamb was actually pretty good.  They asked me how I wanted it cooked and it really didn't matter as they don't cook it to you preferred temperature.  But it was fine.  Still their cucumber salad is fresh and really good.  The potato salad was good too.  I always wonder why their meats just aren't my thing.  Maybe it's their sauce.  

We had lunch there today, before doing the tour at Port City, & I think that was our overall assessment, too. J got the blue plate special, pulled pork & 2 sides, & said the cucumber salad & slaw were very good, & the pork was OK. I had a grilled chicken sandwich, & it was carbonized, left on the grill a minute or 2 too long, but the fries (which were also overdone) were ok. The tour & beers at Port City were wonderful.

The above 2 posts had me thinking about Rocklands.  Need to visit.  For about 2 years, as part of a meet up group I visited the Arlington location probably every 3 months or so.   What it was ....was fun.   Barbecue, sides, beer, good cheer and meeting different folks with different ideas, experiences, and knowledge bases.  Then for the last 12 months this group switched locations and I haven't been for a while.   The meetup group was pretty large and fairly well known in its niche, and the Rocklands aspect of it became a major selling point and important reference.

Then today I was at the bar school working on some items and a call came in from an employer.  It was the catering side of Rocklands.  They need staff.  The school is great for needs and places like that and I'm sure by early next week they will have more applicants than they anticipated.  Then I thought about all the bbq's and events and dinners I'd had catered at our house on occasion and the times I've been to other's events.

BBQ is great for parties and events.  ....and while I see references here to other BBQ places, including ones that are lauded and most recently this thread about Dave's BBQ in Laurel   I'm going to contact some of the participants at those past meetings and see if we can do a get together at Rocklands/Arlington again....b/c it was fun, hearty, and conducive to good cheer.

In the meantime...I'll probably hit it up on the spur.  I miss the brisket.

• Like 2

Well it was a good walking night with the dog, so we ended up at Rocklands.  In my attempt to try to find some meat I really like there I got the chicken and ribs plate.  I have noticed that the menu here has changed and is a bit awkward.  You can't get just two or three meats that you choose, you have to order from one of their set combos.  Matt wanted brisket and pit beef, to get those together I had to get a sandwich platter and add on another sandwich.  Not sure why you can't just have an option of choosing what meats you want when they sell them by the pound.  I thought the ribs that came with my platter would be pork ribs, but they ended up being spare ribs.  I thought they were particularly fatty and tough and hard to eat with plasticware.  The chicken was fine.  Again the sides outshined the meat.  Next time I will follow my instinct three accompaniment plate.  I also couldn't find the appetizers on the menu, they were only on the board which made it a bit hard to order.  Anyway I am sure I will be back because it's a great place to go with Max, but it's never a rush back place.  I wish they had a hot dog or non-Italian sausage on the menu.

Well it was a good walking night with the dog, so we ended up at Rocklands. In my attempt to try to find some meat I really like there I got the chicken and ribs plate. I have noticed that the menu here has changed and is a bit awkward. You can't get just two or three meats that you choose, you have to order from one of their set combos. Matt wanted brisket and pit beef, to get those together I had to get a sandwich platter and add on another sandwich. Not sure why you can't just have an option of choosing what meats you want when they sell them by the pound. I thought the ribs that came with my platter would be pork ribs, but they ended up being spare ribs. I thought they were particularly fatty and tough and hard to eat with plasticware. The chicken was fine. Again the sides outshined the meat. Next time I will follow my instinct three accompaniment plate. I also couldn't find the appetizers on the menu, they were only on the board which made it a bit hard to order. Anyway I am sure I will be back because it's a great place to go with Max, but it's never a rush back place. I wish they had a hot dog or non-Italian sausage on the menu.

I'm not 100% certain but pretty sure the term "spare ribs" refers to the part of the rib cage versus the type of animal. So, can be either pork or beef but generally a lower grade of rib. I think this because, growing up, spare ribs were the option du jour in all the mediocre Chinese American restaurants and those were pork. Think I also read or heard it from a quasi source or two.

Haven't been to Rocklands in at least a year mostly because we felt other places had eclipsed them, especially in the District between DCity Smokehouse, Back Alley Pitmasters, Hill Country, KBQ, Urban and even Fat Pete's. Not as sure how/if the NoVa 'Q scene has evolved in the past few years.

Spare ribs are larger ribs than your other ribs, they are are at the front of a pig.  They tend to be fattier, as well.  I make spare ribs at home, but I tend to do them in a braise because they are a tougher and fattier part of meat than your back ribs, in addition there is a different bone structure and they are larger.  Normally when you order "ribs" at a bbq place it is implied you are getting back ribs, normally when getting spare ribs they use the word spare ribs. Rocklands on their menu says pork ribs, but doesn't say spare.      

Spare ribs are larger ribs than your other ribs, they are are at the front of a pig.  They tend to be fattier, as well.  I make spare ribs at home, but I tend to do them in a braise because they are a tougher and fattier part of meat than your back ribs, in addition there is a different bone structure and they are larger.  Normally when you order "ribs" at a bbq place it is implied you are getting back ribs, normally when getting spare ribs they use the word spare ribs. Rocklands on their menu says pork ribs, but doesn't say spare.

My understanding too. I was just reacting to this part: "I thought the ribs that came with my platter would be pork ribs, but they ended up being spare ribs." since that implied spare could only be beef. Not a big deal. Just caught my eye since I wasn't certain and spare can refer to beef or pork.

More significantly, not so cool Rocklands is doing that but guess higher margins for them that way.

Ran into a Rocklands food truck today in Arlington.  Had no idea they were around (where have I evidently  been for the past 5 years?).   I enjoy Rocklands and have for some two decades even as I've found better bbq around town.  That is okay.  BBQ is usually okay in my book.   

The potato salad and corn bread hit the spot, pulled chicken ...meh, sort of dry.  Way too saucy, way too little good bbq cooking.   That is okay.  Now that I know its around I'll hit the brisket sandwich; its always been my favorite sandwich over there.  Better yet, its time to visit Arlington or DC.  Been a long time

I am not a BBQ expert or a Rocklands devotee but it's good, satisfies the itch and is quick and easy.

However, I must point out two new discoveries that I made recently:
1. On Thursday nights, with a beer purchase at the bar, received a free egg roll. but get this: IT'S A BBQ-PORK-FILLED egg-roll. !!! It's good if you like barbecued pork deep fried and served with chili sauce...and a side of beer.

2. there's a free #1 Sons fermentation bar now. I love that stuff and frankly wish they would just sell full orders of it b/c i'd purchase.

• Like 2

Got takeout from here last night. We usually get catering from them for our July 4th party, but with no party this year, and them closing early on the 4th,  I didn't have it for the 4th. But I kept wanting it, so we ordered last night.

Smoked pulled chicken, corn pudding, baked beans, cornbread. Sauce came with. Quite tasty. Chicken was a little dry. But really, that corn pudding is soooooo good.

I wish Max's was still next door to get dessert from.

• Like 3

Takeout from here Friday - chicken, corn pudding, and baked beans. Supplemented with salad and applesauce from home. 

Sadly, they ran out of corn pudding before I got there, so we had mac and cheese as a sub. It was fine, but the corn pudding is WAY better.

Still miss Max's.