zoramargolis

The Butcher Shop at Westover Market

I'd been hearing hints about this from Bruce Saunders for the past few weeks, and this morning at the Dupont Market he told me: "It's a go!" Bruce will be taking over the butcher counter located inside the Westover Market, which has been unused for four years, since the new owners bought the place. He'll be selling primarily Eco-Friendly products, especially Bev Egg's pork and poultry, but is also talking with other local farmer/purveyors, like Virginia Lamb and Smith Meadow about selling their meat so that he can have a reliable supply and variety of products.

Bruce plans a soft opening in early-mid May, and a Grand Opening at the end of May, which will feature a whole pig bbq.

You heard it here first! :lol:

The only downside to this news is that Bruce won't be at the farmers markets anymore.

The only downside to this news is that Bruce won't be at the farmers markets anymore.

Or working Garde Manger for me at Buck's on Tuesday nights anymore either. Still I'm really happy for him and for the meat lovers of Arlington.

I haven't been in the supermarket at Westover since the late 1970s. It's now a destination? It sure wasn't then. And when and why did they build that huge honking USPS facility next door? It's gargantuan. (I only know this from Google streetview and Bing maps. That part of Arlington is really far outside my orbit, and has been ever since I stopped carrying mail in, you guessed it, the late 1970s.)

And when and why did they build that huge honking USPS facility next door? It's gargantuan. (I only know this from Google streetview and Bing maps.

That must be a good 15 or so years old by now. I do not know when (or if) the Westover Market became a destination, but they are certainly trying hard with their Great Wall of Beer, beer and wine tastings, and their Beer Garden concert schedule. Hopefully this butcher shop will fill the void in Arlington that I have felt since we lost Mel at Pica Deli.

I find a Wikipedia article on the Westover neighborhood. Click on the picture of the commercial strip for a better view, circa 1975. This is pretty much as I remember it. Drug Fair! You can barely see the sign in this picture, but the supermarket was called Metro Market, and beyond that you can just make out the US flag at the then dinky little post office (then as now called Preston King station) and the sign for the Black Forest Inn on the near side of the P.O., which was a pretty good place to have lunch. Burgers and subs and a few German specialties, run by a German chap named Rolf Renschler. I think he had Dortmunder Union on tap. (If you remember the 1970s, you'll probably remember that bottled Heineken was about the best you could hope for at most places.) No idea when it closed, but the bloated new post office fills the space where it was.

<snip> and the sign for the Black Forest Inn on the near side of the P.O., which was a pretty good place to have lunch. Burgers and subs and a few German specialties, run by a German chap named Rolf Renschler. I think he had Dortmunder Union on tap. (If you remember the 1970s, you'll probably remember that bottled Heineken was about the best you could hope for at most places.) No idea when it closed, but the bloated new post office fills the space where it was.

It did not close, it is now buried inside the strip mall on the same block with a single door leading to the back by the parking lot where the main bar area is located. They moved it as part of the post office redevelopment effort. click

In an effort to satisfy the larger square footage requirements of the post office our challenge was to also reconfigure the Westover Shopping Center to accommodate the relocation of the popular Westover Bakery and The Forest Inn restaurant within the center.

It did not close, it is now buried inside the strip mall on the same block with a single door leading to the back by the parking lot where the main bar area is located. They moved it as part of the post office redevelopment effort. click

Well I never. They seemed to have dropped the "Black" from the name, along with the German food, and turned it into a really foul-sounding dive bar, from what I gather by googling. Are you saying it's not even visible from the street? Not even a sign?

I'd like to follow up on Zora's post from earlier. Bruce Saunders here and yes, it's true, I am in the process of opening a new butcher shop in North Arlington. Actually it's an old butcher shop that I'm moving into. For those familiar with the area, it's in the Westover Market (www.westovermarket.com), located in the Westover community along Washington Blvd. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the store and the general area. It's home to some old and new Arlington classics; Ayer's Variety Store, Lost Dog Pizza Deli, Golden Valet, a real hometown community kind of place.

If you've been in the Westover Market you may have noticed that there is in fact a butcher shop located along the back wall of the store, immediately behind the deli space. I moved into this area in 1987, so I recall when the butcher shop was an active part of the store and more utilized than it has been in recent years. Last fall I approached the family that currently owns the store to see if they were interested in breathing some new life into this aspect of their business. So last week we came to an agreement and very soon we'll be (re)opening 'The Butcher Shop at Westover Market'.

Many of already know me and have bought meat and poultry products from me. As a co-owner of EcoFriendly Foods (www.ecofriendly.com), I've been selling clean, humanely raised, pasture fed meats at the Arlington Courthouse Farmers Market and Dupont Circle Fresh Farm Market for many years. Bev and I have talked about a real butcher shop venue for our products for a long time. And we believe that Westover Market is a great place for us to start.

So here's the scoop... I'm looking towards a May 7th soft opening and a grand opening on May 22nd (please note that there's a whole lot to be done between now and then so these dates may have to shift slightly, I'll keep you posted). But the plan is to create a real butcher shop in the heart of north Arlington. We will primarily feature the fine meat and poultry products of EcoFriendly Foods, but I will be bringing in products from other local farms as needed. But regardless of the source, we will only sell foods that follow the EFF protocols for sustainable farming; the animals must be humanely raised outside on pasture (NO CAFOs), free of any medications or chemicals and all of the multi-gastric species (beef, lamb, goat) must be 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. So the high quality products you've enjoyed from our farmers market stand will now be available in a home style butcher shop, right here in the neighborhood.

So stayed tuned as all of the details come together and I look forward to serving our community with good healthy food products. See you at Westover!

brs

Hey Bruce nice to see you on the board!! I was wondering would you consider bringing in Roseda Beef from Monkton, Md? I love their stuff but they only mail order or have you pick it up on site. Gunpowder Bison (also from Monkton, Md) would be cool too as in the winter they are only available in the Md markets.

By the way that shoulder I picked up this past weekend turned out money on the smoker, after I cut the leg off. :lol:

-Theo

Hey Bruce nice to see you on the board!! I was wondering would you consider bringing in Roseda Beef from Monkton, Md? I love their stuff but they only mail order or have you pick it up on site. Gunpowder Bison (also from Monkton, Md) would be cool too as in the winter they are only available in the Md markets.

By the way that shoulder I picked up this past weekend turned out money on the smoker, after I cut the leg off. :lol:

-Theo

The short answer re: Roseda is yes, I want to talk to them, find out more about their growing standards. I know Nathan over at Red Apron is using them and his charcuterie kicks butt. Likewise Gunpowder. Glad the pork shoulder worked out. I hope you smoked that shank too. Great addition to your next bean pot or collard greens.

brs

The short answer re: Roseda is yes, I want to talk to them, find out more about their growing standards. I know Nathan over at Red Apron is using them and his charcuterie kicks butt. Likewise Gunpowder. Glad the pork shoulder worked out. I hope you smoked that shank too. Great addition to your next bean pot or collard greens.

brs

Great! Looking forward to it. As far as the trotter and shank, Mom claimed it after I cut it off... Mom always get what she wants, she earned it :lol:

I'd like to follow up on Zora's post from earlier. Bruce Saunders here and yes, it's true, I am in the process of opening a new butcher shop in North Arlington.

Sorry if I diverted the thread into my trip down memory lane. Although Westover is WAAY out of my way, I'll be sure to buy some meat from you when you're open. Best of luck.

Bruce is having a soft opening on Thursday, May 14th. I know that he will greatly appreciate well-wishers stopping by.

Right date, wrong day of the week. We will open Friday the 14th at noon. Many thanks for everyone's support!

:lol: my bad...

No worries. You've been a great supporter for many years.

Stopped by on my lunch break scored something I could never get at the farmers market from eco-friendly.... short ribs! Win! Maybe I can push my luck and ask for Pork back ribs next time.....

This is terrific news for Westover Market. Now I have more excuses to blow lots of cash in there...

Stopped by on my lunch break scored something I could never get at the farmers market from eco-friendly.... short ribs! Win! Maybe I can push my luck and ask for Pork back ribs next time.....

And don't they have the wall of beer so you can pick out a rich ale to slow braise the short ribs in?

Or get them cross cut fairly thin and grill them Galbi LA Style after a light soak in sweetened soy with ginger & black pepper.

And don't they have the wall of beer so you can pick out a rich ale to slow braise the short ribs in?

Or get them cross cut fairly thin and grill them Galbi LA Style after a light soak in sweetened soy with ginger & black pepper.

Both are wonderful ideas!

I couldn't make the soft opening, but my girlfriend tells me she was your first customer :-)

She picked up a beautiful bone-in leg of lamb. We smeared it with a paste of garlic and herbs from the garden and olive oil, vacuum sealed it, and let it sit in the fridge for the day. In the evening, we cooked it sous vide for 3 hours at 135F, then finished it by browning briefly under the broiler. It came out tender, pink, and flavorful.

I'd definitely try this again but maybe sous vide at 130F to get a bit richer pink.

I look forward to visiting you myself!

It's a long trek from Rockville, but I'd like to pay a visit to EcoFriendly at the Westover Market. Can anyone tell me if the butcher shop is open all of the hours of the Market (M-Sat 8-10, Sun 10-10), or does it have limited hours? I'd not like to drive all that way only to find EcoFriendly closed.

It's a long trek from Rockville, but I'd like to pay a visit to EcoFriendly at the Westover Market. Can anyone tell me if the butcher shop is open all of the hours of the Market (M-Sat 8-10, Sun 10-10), or does it have limited hours? I'd not like to drive all that way only to find EcoFriendly closed.

Here's the hours from the website, or go to the Arlington Courthouse market on Sat morn. , or Dupont on Sun. morn. You never know what you might find. Why, just this morning, i purchased a ribeye (the only one) from Courthouse.

Here's the hours from the website, or go to the Arlington Courthouse market on Sat morn. , or Dupont on Sun. morn. You never know what you might find. Why, just this morning, i purchased a ribeye (the only one) from Courthouse.

One thing to add, Sunday is no longer being staffed due to low foot traffic. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/westoverbutchershop/posts/130148200342354

So they're still selling at Dupont and Courthouse markets? I was under the impression that they had stopped selling at farmers markets since opening at the Westover Market.

We're open Wednesday thru Saturday, noon until 7:oo PM. On Sunday's I stock the reach-in case immediately to the left of our butcher display case with some self-serve products in vacuum sealed packages. Tomorrow for example there will be top sirloin steaks, ground beef, a couple of exceptional thick cut beef rib steaks, pork loin chops, breakfast sausage, boneless skinless chicken breasts, whole chicken legs, pork blade steaks and probably a few other things I'm not remembering. Like brat burgers. These are really good and are quickly becoming a bestseller at the shop. We're seasoning fresh ground pork with bratwurst seasoning and forming it into patties which you prepare and serve just like a hamburger. Also we're beginning to offer some prepared products along side the other self serve items. There's some lard, pork cracklins and my Homemade BBQ sauce. Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support!

So they're still selling at Dupont and Courthouse markets? I was under the impression that they had stopped selling at farmers markets since opening at the Westover Market.

Not true. As Bruce can detail EcoFriendly meats are just one supplier to the Westover Market.