The Butcher Shop at Westover Market

zoramargolis

the maple-bacon and the...chili-something bacon were FANTASTIC Bruce..

Glad you liked the bacon. Much more of that to come. We're trying on a lot of new and creative flavors for the bacon, several made with beers from the Great Wall of Beer in the store. Also I want to let everyone know that I have a nice batch of beef short ribs from Roseda so speaking of cooking with beer, short ribs marinated and braised in beer is REALLY DELISH! One of my personal faves is Scottish Ale but any beer with a nice malty body would work. Also for the first time I have some of Bill Jones' Forest Fed, Babes in the Woods (www.forestfed.com) pork at the shop this week. I'm excited to offer this product. I talked to Bill last week and his fine swine is feeding heavily on a bumper crop of fall mast including acorns, hickory nuts, even wild mushrooms as they pop up. So come by a try some forest finished pork. It's a great fall treat!

I'm so excited to see you have Forest Fed pork! I used to buy it at the Old Town market until he was no longer there. And yes, you can absolutely taste a nutty flavor.

So glad I found this thread. I've been buying my meats lately at the Falls Church farmer's market, but it's great to know there's a place I can get to after work during the week where I can get meats that aren't frozen. And now I'm drooling for that bacon.

<snip> but it's great to know there's a place I can get to after work during the week where I can get meats that aren't frozen. <snip>

Just posting a reminder that visiting hours are Wednesday through Saturday, from 12noon to 7:00pm.

Sometimes Bruce will set out a few items, I think, in the refridgerated meat section to the counter's left, but I don't want anyone disappointed like I was, hopping in late Tuesday night one time a few weeks ago....

This week I have more fabu Babes in the Woods Pork, a nice selection of Roseda Farms Beef... flank steaks, NY Strips, Rib steaks, a whole tenderloin, chuck for pot roast or stews, eye of round, and fresh chicken cut ups. And something NEW, I have fresh shucked oysters from Jimmy & Page @ Busters Seafood. Come & get it!

This week I have more fabu Babes in the Woods Pork, a nice selection of Roseda Farms Beef... flank steaks, NY Strips, Rib steaks, a whole tenderloin, chuck for pot roast or stews, eye of round, and fresh chicken cut ups. And something NEW, I have fresh shucked oysters from Jimmy & Page @ Busters Seafood. Come & get it!

Almost forgot, I have some Roseda Farms oxtails. I know it's a labor of love but oxtail soup is one of the most delicious, rich, decadent dishes to be had.

Sometimes Bruce will set out a few items, I think, in the refridgerated meat section to the counter's left

Early on we experimented with putting out some of our product in the self serve case but I've since stopped doing that (for reasons too lengthy to explain here and now). The owners of Westover Market continue to want to offer a low cost meat product to customers, so what you see in the styrofoam trays in the self serve case is the same commercial quality goods that they have had for years, prior to my coming on board. It's generally Perdue chicken and I'm not sure of the provenance of the beef or pork. So unless you buy it at the butcher counter or unless we start to put our product out again (which would be labeled as such) then just be aware that it's not the same.

I have some great stuff from Roseda this week; A great rib roast for rib steaks, one of the best NY Strip loins I've seen from them, flanks, boneless chuck roasts that I've rolled and tied, boneless chuck cubes for stews, I'll be marinating some of the chuck cubes in beer and aromatics for and easy, ready-to-go beef ale stew, and for the first time I have hanger steaks! I tried one yesterday and it was delish! I also got some some beef suet in for those Christmas puddings, mincemeats and Yorkshire puddings you've been dying to make. BTW if there's any particular cut that you're looking for, let me know and I'll see about getting it. Also I have more of Bill Jones' Babes in the Woods pork this week. This pig was a little bigger than what I've been getting so the rib rack is especially nice. I can cut you a rib roast or you can take home some very fine rib chops. The loin roast I rolled and tied sold almost immediately yesterday but I do have a whole shoulder if you're into DIY BBQ this weekend. You can have the whole thing or I can cut you a piece that might better fit in your smoker or crock pot.

Next week, I have a another special treat for all of you 'swine-o-philes' out there. Next Thursday I'm getting a half pig from Emanuel Kauffman at Garden Path Farm. Emanuel raises Tamsworth pigs that are pastured raised (Tamsworth are known for their heavy grazing on pasture) and he feeds them on whey from a nearby creamery. He mixes the whey with oats and spelt, lets that digest for 2-3 days then offers it up to his pigs. The resulting whey fed/fattened pork has a delicious, unique flavor not to be missed. I should have that in the case and ready for customers by Friday noon. So come by and try some delicious, locally produced foods! Real Food!

This Friday, November 12th, Westover Market, The Butcher Shop at Westover Market and Sierra Nevada are teaming up to bring you an evening of beer and BBQ not to be missed! In honor of Sierra Nevada’s 30th anniversary, Westover Market will host a celebration of Sierra’s four anniversary beers plus their classic seasonal Celebration Ale and their ever popular Pale Ale, ON TAP! That’s right, in addition to their old favorites, Celebration and Pale Ales, you can enjoy four special brews created just for the occasion; Fritz & Ken’s Ale, Charlie, Fred & Ken’s Bock, Jack & Ken’s Ale and Brewer’s Reserve Oak Aged Ale, fresh from the keg! And as if great beer wasn’t enough reason to come out, Bruce Saunders of The Butcher Shop at Westover Market will be roasting a whole pig and briskets for some great BBQ to feed you and your hungry friends and family.

The festivities are from 4:00 to 8:00 PM Friday at Westover Market, 5863 Washington Blvd, Arlington. Five ounce tasting pours of the special beers will available along with full pints of your favorites. Pulled pork and brisket sandwiches with slaw and a side are $10.50 each, as long as they last. So come out for some great Brew & Que Friday at the Westover Market!

Babes in the Woods pork

I can't remember what cut I purchased but it was chop-like, thin and fatty in a good way.

My husband OVER-cooked it in butter, sherry, garlic, and some herbs, salt&pepper.

It was fantastic even though it cooked a few minutes too long. HIGHLY recommend.

Babes in the Woods pork

I can't remember what cut I purchased but it was chop-like, thin and fatty in a good way.

My husband OVER-cooked it in butter, sherry, garlic, and some herbs, salt&pepper.

It was fantastic even though it cooked a few minutes too long. HIGHLY recommend.

Sounds like the blade steak.... It's def an underrated cut. The fattiness protects the meat from getting too dried out. Thanks for stopping by!

Sounds like the blade steak.... It's def an underrated cut. The fattiness protects the meat from getting too dried out. Thanks for stopping by!

As seen recently on America's Test Kitchen, a thick blade chop is the recommended cut for slow-cooked, cider-glazed pork chops that looked really good.

That would be the blade steak. I'm heading downtown shortly to meet up with Garden Path Farm. I'll be getting a half pig (Tamsworth, pasture/whey fed) and will be cutting some more of the blade steaks for the shop later today. Also take note, the fire is lit and the 410 lb pigasaurus from Black Eagle Farm (Lovingston, VA) is roasting right now (I hope Cody's got his eye on the fire!). That will be served tomorrow beginning at 4:00PM, along with 2 - 20+ lb briskets from Roseda. Those will be served on fresh baked rolls from Wes Lanham at The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek Farm. Oh yeah, and there will be plenty of very fine beer to wash it all down with.

Early on we experimented with putting out some of our product in the self serve case but I've since stopped doing that (for reasons too lengthy to explain here and now). The owners of Westover Market continue to want to offer a low cost meat product to customers, so what you see in the styrofoam trays in the self serve case is the same commercial quality goods that they have had for years, prior to my coming on board. It's generally Perdue chicken and I'm not sure of the provenance of the beef or pork. So unless you buy it at the butcher counter or unless we start to put our product out again (which would be labeled as such) then just be aware that it's not the same.

Previously I'd bought steaks from there, thinking they were from the butcher shop. They were still good steaks, IMHO, and fairly cheap, but I wanted to try some from Bruce!

Yesterday I picked up a ribeye from Roseda (am I spelling that right?). At $24 a pound, and nearly a pound in size, it's not the kind of steak I'd buy regularly. I put some Worcestshire sauce, salt and pepper, garlic, and red pepper on it, cooked it on the grill at my friend's house, and proceeded to DESTROY it.

Goshdamn that was a delicious steak.

There was a good bit of fat on it. If I'd been at home I would've saved it, but I wasn't, so Cash, Jack, and Palo (the three dogs running around) were very happy recipients. I don't think any of it actually hit the ground when I went to put it down...

Wow, it's been almost a year since anyone posted here...

Hit the Butcher Shop at Westover Market on Saturday. I picked up a pound of juniper, cinnamon, black pepper, and palm sugar bacon ($16) and an 8 ounce Roseda Farms NY Strip ($24 a pound).

We cooked the bacon in an disposable foil pan over a firepit. My brother described it as "irrationally delicious". The palm sugar, as warned to me by Bruce, has a low caramelization point but the bacon came out beautifully.

The steak I cooked at home. I overcooked it a bit, actually, but it was still juicy and delicious despite being closer to well done then medium.

I haven't been able to help out in the last year but I am still an unabashed fan of the stuff the stuff that Bruce and Cody are doing here. They won a Snail of Approval from SFDC this year and have consistently put out a great product.

If you stop by might I suggest getting hanger steaks and the hanger burgers? The hangers are from Roseda and honestly I find them the best around. Plus it's pretty freaking hard to get your hands on hangers outside of restaurants. The hanger burgers made from the trim of hangers and other steak ends are really really good. These burgers are some of the best I have had/made good. Be sure they are the hanger burgers and not just the regular burgers (which are still good and ground in house from chuck and steak ends).

Also it's time to order turkeys, and Bruce says the turkeys he's getting from Garden Path are the best he's ever had, and that's saying something.

Say it ain't so!

From Bruce's recent FB post:

After much thought and soul searching, I'm sorry to inform everyone that as of this week, the Butcher Shop at Westover Market will be closing. Cody and I extend our heartfelt thanks to all of our friends and neighbors in and around Arlington for your support and patronage over the past year and a half. It's been great to serve you and to have supported our local farmers and their families. Please continue to support these fine farm families and the hard work they do. See ya around town!

*dismay*

I'm really confused because I just purchased some pork and beef there on Saturday. The first Saturday in 2013. There were 2 guys in the cold box...did I imagine this?

I haven't cooked the ham steak yet...I'm saving it for either beans or the last cabbage in the garden, or both. The beef, I froze...embarassed to say it but here's a review of how I"m sure it will be: Terrific.

When I overcook Westover meat, and sometimes I do, it forgives me by tasting fabulous.

I hope they don't close. I know my tiny family can't keep them in refrigeration but I love me some Westover butcher meat.

This shop did close last year after Bruce departed, however they reopened shortly after and are permanently open now. They seem to be doing well and I've had the pleasure of cooking and eating some fantastic meat from their shop. If you're in Arlington, it couldn't be more convenient!

This shop did close last year after Bruce departed, however they reopened shortly after and are permanently open now. They seem to be doing well and I've had the pleasure of cooking and eating some fantastic meat from their shop. If you're in Arlington, it couldn't be more convenient!

Where are they getting the meat from? Local/regional farms?

Just to add a little more info to this, Cody, the guy that was helping Bruce out with this took over immediately after Bruce left. He is pretty much running the same shop, same good local meats, same bacon that we developed together.

Well I haven't been there in over a year, but I assume its the same stuff. If you need good local meat (and you are near Arlington) he is def an option.

Thought I'd pop in here to note that Westover Market: The Market, is anything but Closed, per the heading on this thread, and remains a great asset to the neighborhood.  After talking up Stachowski's half smokes to some friends and then inviting them over for lunch, I thought I'd be able to casually pick up a package from Harris Teeter Saturday AM. No such luck as they appeared sold out.  Returning to Westover as a fall-back option, I see they were sold out of them as well.  Must be lots of demand for them, or some kind of production issue at Stachowski.  So, a bit desperate and wanting to vent a bit, I walked up to the butcher and asked if they had any half smokes.  "No problem, have a box back here from Baltimore, how many ya need..."  

Long story short, these smokes lacked a bit of the snap and spice of Stachowski's, but they remained excellent after some time on the grill (they came raw), every bit as good as what Ben's serves, and arguably better due to the higher heat of my outdoor grill, vs the flattop.  Potato salad and slaw both well exceeded what you'd pay $7.99/lb for at HT as well.  So I go from total disaster (I was considering just hot dogs for all...) to something interesting and delicious,  all thanks to the excellent butcher that operates next to the Beer Garden.  If, as has been implied, or even stated directly during the various debates about zoning, the Beer Garden subsidizes the existence of the Market, by all means, go have a pint outside this week.  

• Thanks 1