Rebel Heroes, Arlington Sandwich Truck - Closed

Rebel Heroes sandwich truck is starting today with their take on banh mi and other sandwiches. Link to a menu. They say they'll be at Fairfax and Randolph at 11:30 am [edited to add: check their twitter feed, times and locations are changing.] today.

There's a Facebook coupon this week for free sandwich with purchase of chips or beverage, limited to 100 free sandwiches per day.

If someone works nearby and wants to try it out, please report back on how it is.

Got a roasted pork Ban Mih today sans jalapenos with the mild mayo - didn't want to sweat at my desk. Sandwich was okay - not great, but the price ($5 w/o coupon) is a good deal for the area. Pork was really dry and the mayo rescued the sandwich - prob get the tofu next time and see how it is. Other down side - bread was also a little over toasted and crumbled away as a result. My overall impression - good deal for a sandwich if you are in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I went by today to check it out. The coupon is certainly a great deal. The truck looked awesome, the inside looked clean, and they had great music playing.

This being their first day, I am hesitant to give a review. I didn't really like the sandwich ( I got the chicken with rebel sauce), it was OK, i thought the bread was very dry and I was expecting all of the different toppings to brighten up the sandwich, but it fell flat for me. This was my first banh mi ever, so I do not have anything to compare it to.

I did go with two coworkers, one of them had the Tofu, they both really like their subs. The Vietnamese iced coffee made with Cafe Du Monde looked really good. i would like to go back and try that.

I will try it again in a few weeks. I hate to judge a place on their first day.

This sounds more like a Quiznos sub :lol: Can someone tell me whether banh mi are typically toasted? I don't recall ever having a toasted one before.

Little different than quiznos - it was just the bread that was toasted, the ends were esp. crispy. And I'm with you, I've never seen one with toasted bread before either.

I read that they're operating in Arlington now with plans to expand into DC.

I got the Righteous Roast Pork sandwich yesterday. It. was.DELICIOUS. I consider myself a banh mi expert (grew up eating a ton of them out in the Seven Corners area). I loved the combination of Vietnamese-Latin flavors. The previous poster is right - it's not a Quiznos style sub because only the bread is toasted. More places should toast the bread because nothing is worse than eating chewy bread. A lot of the more traditional banh mi places in NOVA have this problem. My sandwich also had a lot of kick to it with the special mayo they use. It's not something that you would find in a typical banh mi. I thought it was different in a good way and I'll definitely hit it up again.

I was able to try it on Wednesday. I used the coupon for a free sandwich with purchase of a beverage or chips, and I got the Righteous Roast Pork sandwich, which came with thinly sliced pork, jalapenos, pickles, swiss cheese, and Rebel mayo. My bread was more chewy than crispy. Based on the varying reports, maybe they're still trying to work out their sandwiches. The pork wasn't dry but was mild in flavor for my taste. Next time I'd get it with more mayo or try a meatball sandwich. I hope they do well. I like the fusion idea.

They're at the corner of Veitch and Clarendon (by the CVS) right now...think I'll have to do a little recon and report back.

ETA: YUM! Pork Meatball Banh Mi was tasty - not too dry and a nice little sandwich for $5 (aside from the piece of paper towel lurking inside - ooops - no biggie). Lots of flavorful, moist meatballs with the rest of the toppings made for a better lunch than the 5 Guys my coworkers were eating. A little bit of a wait after ordering (~15min or so) but who cares when you're soaking up the sun and the breeze on a glorious day like today. Looking forward to their next stop in Clarendon!

I went back and tried the Macho Meatball sub, and I liked it alot, much more than the roast pork one I had before. The meatballs had a sweet teriyaki flavor to them and were moist like goldenticket mentioned above. The cilantro, daikon, carrot, and scallions along with the mayo went well with the meatballs.

They were at Ballston again today, so I gave them a second shot.

My first experience with their Righteous Roast Pork sandwich was beyond disappointing. It lacked any flavor and was very meager on meat and veggies.

Today my friend and I had the Macho Meatball and the Che Che Che Chicken. They were miles better than the Righteous Roast Pork. The Macho Meatball had a large pork taste without being overwhelming, probably due to its sweetness. The chicken wasn't very impressive, but it wasn't flavorless like the Righteous Roast Pork.

I have to say though, for $5.50 this is a very disappointing sandwich. Eden Center is 10 minutes down the road. You can get a better sandwich with more fillings for half the cost. Rebel Hero's bread is more like sub bread and where it wasn't overgrilled and crunchy, it was really spongy.

Just had a Mighty Meatball and a lemonade. The lemonade was okay but the sandwich was darn tasty. Just enough heat for my tastes, too.

Had a bit of a wait as the cashier had to run buy some extra ingredients or something. Once she got back things flew right along.

(and heard someone else called SeanMike near me. Weird.)

Rebel Heroes was parked outside the Clarendon Whole Foods today and I had the Tofu Banh Mi ($5). I've tried it three times and its consistently a very good sandwich. Never had a Banh Mi before and now I can see what all the hubbub is about...the contrast of flavors and textures is a bit of revelation. Wait times have varied from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (they were slammed one afternoon outside Courthouse). Definitely worth your five bucks if you're hungry and in the neighborhood.

Rebel Heroes was parked outside the Clarendon Whole Foods today and I had the Tofu Banh Mi ($5). I've tried it three times and its consistently a very good sandwich. Never had a Banh Mi before and now I can see what all the hubbub is about...the contrast of flavors and textures is a bit of revelation. Wait times have varied from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (they were slammed one afternoon outside Courthouse). Definitely worth your five bucks if you're hungry and in the neighborhood.

Say hi next time :lol:

I had the Righteous Roast Pork today, along with a Mandarin Jarrito which was icy cold and hit the spot on this humid afternoon. I liked the sandwich - straightforward sliced pork tenderloin with the toppings adding a little kick. I'll have to give the Banh Mi (roast pork and tofu) a try on my next visits. I'm happy they are in my 'hood at least twice a week - I always leave with a smile on my face.

Had my first Rebel Hero today and it was very good It was the Pork Meatball Banh Mi with the meatball spices and the relishes intermingling magically. On Mondays, they can be at any location, but as far as I am concerned, they should park themselves in front of Ballston Cosi every Monday. Looking forward to trying the other heroes, esp. the tofu banh mi.

Had my first Rebel Hero today and it was very good It was the Pork Meatball Banh Mi with the meatball spices and the relishes intermingling magically. On Mondays, they can be at any location, but as far as I am concerned, they should park themselves in front of Ballston Cosi every Monday. Looking forward to trying the other heroes, esp. the tofu banh mi.

Actually they just (yesterday) announced that Mondays will be Ballston and Wednesdays will be their wildcard day. They also have made a few changes to the menu: small price increase to $5.50 for most of the "Old Guard" and $6 for "The Rebels" - tax included and Rebel Deals (aka combo meals) now available - details here.

Ballston won the wildcard this week and I loved the Macho Meatball. I generally dislike mayo but this was applied lightly enough to not overwhelm. Cilantro and carrots were a very welcome addition to the meatball sub.

They filmed me there for lunch. If you see an incredibly handsome man text-ing his payment to Rebel Heroes on Food Network Canada that was me! Hopefully they don't broadcast my credit card number.....

Sub was excellent by the way. Macho meatball is the way to go.

Sub was excellent by the way. Macho meatball is the way to go.

I just ate one of these and you are so right. In fact, at least half the line ordered one and if anyone looked at all indecisive about their order, they were encouraged by the other patrons to order the Macho Meatball. This sandwich is spicy hot, but not overpoweringly so (although it did make me perspire just a bit and I have a high tolerance for spice). The chopped meatballs are perfectly blended with a spicy mayo, jalapenos, pickled daikon and carrots. If you are like me and do not care so much for mayo, trust me and get the mayo anyway. If only they could figure a way to keep the wrapped sandwich rolls crispier during the walk back this sandwich would be very close to perfection. The walking time and ingredient moisture tend to make the crust a little chewy so I think I will ask them to press it next time, but this is a very minor quibble.

Tomorrow's the last day of 'the season'* for Rebel Heroes :( so I headed out to their Courthouse spot for lunch today. My chicken banh mi wasn't quite as good as previous ones have been; meat was a little dry, with more dark meat and a little less mayo than usual. Still a pretty decent sandwich. Last chance in Rosslyn on Friday.

* I secretly hope they're heading off to tape the next season of "The Great Food Truck Race", but that's probably just wishful thinking...

* I secretly hope they're heading off to tape the next season of "The Great Food Truck Race", but that's probably just wishful thinking...

Let's do the math on this one.

A few months ago I saw the Food Network (Canada) filming them for a show about food trucks.

This new business appears to be doing well, has a large following and sells out regularly. That macho meatball is delicious

They close for the 'season' in October, when the weather is still great?

I am predicting a tv debut for them in the future.

Has anyone spoken to them about why they are closing up shop?

They close for the 'season' in October, when the weather is still great?

Has anyone spoken to them about why they are closing up shop?

A reply to their latest Facebook post tells them to enjoy their trip to warmer weather for the winter...

I just hope the next season starts up again pretty soon! A macho meatball would make a lovely winter lunch.

Tim Carman is reporting the demise of Rebel Heroes. This is a shame. It was my favorite food truck in Arlington. I willl always have fond memories of the Macho Meatball, even if I never really liked the name.

Ditto - really bummed about this news! A visit to the truck was a favorite Thursday lunch for me all summer.

I had to drown my sorrows in a cafe au lait and porkorn from Bayou Bakery this afternoon :)

From their Facebook page:

Hi Rebels, As some of you have heard from the media today, we've had to take the rebellion back underground. We're all working on other projects and between everything that's happening with our own projects (such as graphic design work/ consulting forme and babies arriving in the Spring for some of us--we are a family business after all) and the amount of resources (time being a major one) it requires on many levels, it's best to go out on top! I can't express how much I'll miss seeing all of our regular customers. That's really what kept me and the frontline team (Liz & Eileen) going all those crazy days on the hot truck. But I don't want to say there won't be another revolution! Anything can happen! Thanks so much for your support and patronage. We won't forget all of you! You all rock! Please feel free to hit me up at tan(at)tandandesign.com :) -- xoxo, TAN