JLK

Viridian, Chef Michael Hartzer and GM Kevin Blonshine on 14th and P Street in Logan Circle - Closed

Who has the scoop? From the look of the dining room, with lots of fancy-yet-monochromatic chairs placed around tables, it looks like it's not far from opening.

I can't recall the name...starts with V, I believe. Located around 14th and Church.

There was a Weekly Dish bit about it in May. "Food that is easy to eat" :lol:

"FOOD AND FRIENDS: Saied Azali , the owner of Perry's (1811 Columbia Road NW; 202-234-6218) in Adams Morgan is joining forces with two longtime pals -- developer Giorgio Furioso and chef Sidra Forman -- to open a restaurant in Logan Circle that will combine the trio's love of design, food and community. They're calling their project Viridian (1515 14th St. NW) and plan to offer simple, seasonal food in a high-ceilinged dining room that will be dressed up with modern art. Forman, the pastry chef at the late Ruppert's restaurant in Washington, will be in charge of the menu. "I want ease," she says. "Food that is easy to eat and food that is good for you." Her daily changing lineup will feature "a meat, a fish, a chicken" and "a bunch of side dishes," she explains, so diners can create a meal of their own and also feel as comfortable ordering a full, three-course meal as they would "grabbing a soup and salad."

The business partners are creating their restaurant -- a one-time car showroom just steps from Studio Theatre -- from scratch, which has meant delaying its launch until fall. But many of the important details already are either in place or mapped out. Let's hope at least one idea catches on elsewhere: Azali says he plans to donate the best table at Viridian to charity, turning over its dinner proceeds to local good causes."

They were looking for line cooks as recently as 5 days ago.

The photograph-adorned, all-white interior is inviting but--with a large number of tables placed fairly close to one another--looks like it has the potential to get a little cramped.

I wonder if this will turn into a destination restaurant or a neighborhood one.

Edited by LoganCircle

I can't wait to see how Viridian turns out. They hired their chef from the Reef apparently (Rebecca Byrnes). Doesn't Sidra Forman also do flower designing? Will she be a consulting chef like at Perry's?

This is fairly OT but my credit union is in the process of renaming itself Veridian. I will have cognitive dissonance about Viridian for a while as a result.

I will have cognitive dissonance about Viridian for a while as a result.

That, and the fact that it sounds like a new wonder drug for genital herpes.

They hope to open as soon as next week. The hold-up? Permits.

Edited by JLK

Doesn't Sidra Forman also do flower designing?

Yes, she does. She did my wife's bouquet for our wedding (as well as a ton of other gorgeous decorative touches). I believe her shop is in Cady's Alley in Georgetown.

I'm checking to see if I can get some info on the opening from her, or perhaps see if she'll chime in herself.

I spoke with Sidra yesterday which is where I got the info re: waiting for permits. :lol:

Got an e-mail from Sidra:

We hope to be open by the weekend...permitting has delayed us a bit.

We have a great group of people working together on this project-  Rebecca Byrnes is the chef, Derrick Bullock is the general manager, Kenan Forman will be selecting the wines, two excited and supportive owners, lots of fantastic front and back of the house people.

We love our location- myself and many of the other employees live in the neighborhood.  We hope to be first and foremost a neighborhood restaurant.  Our food will be simple and seasonal.  The idea is to gather the best ingredients possible and to present them in a straight forward manner and let them speak for themselves.  There is meat fish and chicken on the menu but we are extremely vegetarian friendly and a vegan will have lots of choices available to them.  We will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.  We are cooking and baking everything in house.  We have searched out the best produce, coffee...that we could find.

As for the name-  Viridian refers to a green colored pigment.  We chose the name because of the window frames of the restaurant are painted green and the idea of green living in general...organic farming, living and eating harmoniously with the environment.

The space was designed by David Knight.  The goal was to crate a comfortable and functional space while maintaining the raw beauty of the room.

What else ?  I am glad to share any information that I have!

Composition of meat-and-sides menu? Interesting.

Hank in the reflection? Priceless.

It looks like you're trying to escape the Matrix. :lol:

You can't find it. I spent 1/2 an hour pissing people off Saturday night by slowly driving up and down 14th st. looking for this place. We called 411 and they didn't have a listing. We called a few people who should know, got good hints, and still couldn't find the place.

Either they have lousy lighting and signage in front of the restaurant or they aren't open yet.

It's dark and a little too pretty for anything on 14th Street. It looks, in my opinion, like it could be a showroom for luxury living (so, might be easy to bypass). Right next to Studio Theater by Whole Foods.

I was in for a drink last night. It's got gauzy curtains across the front windows and doesn't have much of a glow to it. The interior is nice, but looks a lot like a high-end clothing boutique. The space and the menu feel very sophisticated in a way that's unlike most of the new crop of DC restaurants. I think it's going to be slammed seven nights a week.

The space and the menu feel very sophisticated in a way that's unlike most of the new crop of DC restaurants.

I'm curious to know what you mean by this. What places are you comparing Viridian to?

I'm curious to know what you mean by this.  What places are you comparing Viridian to?

Compared to the clubbiness of Zengo, the corporate feel of Acadiana, the casual space of Notti Bianche, or the food court feel of Sette Bello, Viridian has a level of polish in presentation and a focus that I haven't seen outside NY or SF. It's dead simple, and it's executed in a way that sets it apart from the other one-page menu restaurants in the city. Edited by brian

Compared to the clubbiness of Zengo, the corporate feel of Acadiana, the casual space of Notti Bianche, or the food court feel of Sette Bello, Viridian has a level of polish in presentation and a focus that I haven't seen outside NY or SF. It's dead simple, and it's executed in a way that sets it apart from the other one-page menu restaurants in the city.

You said that about IndeBlu too.

I have never called anything about Indebleu simple! I can't even navigate their drink menu.