Pre-Theater Dinner Near Arena Stage

MMM

Unless you wish to dine at the Mandarian, it is still a wasteland. If you are a self-loathing individual, you can go to on of the Maine Avenue tourist traps like Philip's Flagship and get your fill on poorly prepared seafood. If that is not an option (as since you asking here I assume it is not), what direction are you coming from? That would help focus a recommendation.

I haven't tried eating in the Arena Stage area for several years.  Used to be pretty much of a wasteland.  Does anyone have recommendations for a pre-theater dinner on Sunday?

Probably the closest I would go for a basic meal is Marty's on 8th Street. I don't think Sonoma opens early enough for you toget to your show easily but I don't know.

Probably the closest I would go for a basic meal is Marty's on 8th Street.  I don't think Sonoma opens early enough for you toget to your show easily but I don't know.

Sonoma opens for dinner at 5:30. Marty's is sportsbar-ish, in case that's not your thing. Have you considered Bistro Bis, just off North Capitol Street near Union Station?

Thanks, all, for your recommendations. We're coming from Chevy Chase, but planning to get there really early to try for half price tickets - then going to eat. Could probably park and then hop on the Metro to someplace not too far.

There's Station 4, which Tom gave a less than stellar first bite review to but Don liked a little more. I've been there a couple of times and it's been decent to pretty good. I know the owners and so am not impartial. I really like the burger they have on the menu (they only have one) and the duck confit spring rolls knocked my socks off when I had them a few months ago. My most impartial self says uneven and priced a bit too high for their market, but if you hit it right, you could have a good experience. And it's very close to Arena Stage.

It turns out that they actually have a pre-theater entry on their webpage for complimentary valet parking. It's $35 for 3 courses. I think that's new. It's one of those where you can come back and have your dessert after the show.

ETA: It looks like the duck confit spring rolls are now "duck nuggets."

We went to Arena Sunday a week ago. Decided to try Cantina Marina, on the water just across from Arena Stage. We parked easily (and free) on the street in front of the theater and walked over to the Cantina. This is a very casual place, geared to summer drinking and snacking on the water, but the atmosphere was pleasant, service fine and food okay. There were 4 of us and I think we mostly had their tacos - can be fish, shrimp or beef. I had fish which was tasty if not exceptional.

They serve food at Arena Stage, but i haven't tried it. You can check it out on their website.

Wondering if there are any new options for pre-theater dining near Arena Stage. We are subscribers and so we are there fairly often. When the newly renovated theater opened a couple of years ago we tried Next Stage, the Jose Andres venue in the theater. We found the food to be, at best, just ok and frankly, the setting was not at all pleasant. Lately we have been going to Sou'Wester which is obviously a good choice, but we are starting to tire of it and wondering if there are any other options.

I was thinking about the bar menu at CityZen -- would we be able to do that and get to the theater for an 8:00 show? Any other suggestions?

Bar at CityZen opens at 5:30 on weekends (6 on weekdays, closed Sun/Mon). Would not be a problem to be out of there in 90 minutes, but note that there are only 8 seats, and you can't reserve. So if you show up at 6:05p on a Thursday, and 8 people are already sitting at the bar, you're SOL.

Wondering if there are any new options for pre-theater dining near Arena Stage. We are subscribers and so we are there fairly often. When the newly renovated theater opened a couple of years ago we tried Next Stage, the Jose Andres venue in the theater. We found the food to be, at best, just ok and frankly, the setting was not at all pleasant. Lately we have been going to Sou'Wester which is obviously a good choice, but we are starting to tire of it and wondering if there are any other options.

I was thinking about the bar menu at CityZen -- would we be able to do that and get to the theater for an 8:00 show? Any other suggestions?

Station 4 can be good. I think they are trying hard. I like the space, and the staff are earnest and polite.

Any recent suggestions near Arena Stage? I know sometimes people go to the Wharf, but that seems a bit risky time-wise, especially because it sounds like restaurants there may be crowded and seating could be delayed or service could be slow.

I'll probably go to Station 4 tonight, since we may have a deluge and a short walk would be smarter. But for another time, I'm looking at other options.

On July 25, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Tweaked said:

Second Masala Art. 

Sorry to rain on this parade but had dinner there Saturday night and the food and service was terrible. Perhaps they were missing some waitstaff but tho I have enjoyed the Tenley Town location for years, the food Saturday night was not good . There were 6 of us and we ordered several appetizers and all had different mains. The dishes had no flavor - as if they had run out of Indian spices.