Corned Pork Belly

recent posts about wonderful sounding meals at Eventide have me savoring this dish, and as I live 1600 miles away, this means trying to do it myself. Internet recipe search only generated this delicious sounding but somewhat fussy take: http://www.eatfoo.com/archives/2009/11/corned_pork_belly_hash_egg_yol.php which while intriguing isn't quite what I'm looking for, and in any event I do not have the equipment to sous vide it for "12 hours @ 82C".

I think I can figure out how to cook the corned pork belly in a satisfactory manner, also to prepare the cooked corn beef, potatoes, onions, etc into a pleasing hash for a quick fry up in the skillet, but I am concerned about the actual corning of the pork belly. The above linked recipe talks about brining it for a mere 3 days, whereas the corned beef brisket recipes I've found often talk about 3 weeks. I understand the size differential between the pork belly slabs I see at the local Asian grocery (at about 1.59 a lb, these seem to be between about an inch and a half thick, and around 2.75 to 4 lbs) and a big old brisket, but 1/7 of the brining time seems hardly enough.

Can anybody clue me in on how long to brine a 3 lb pork belly?

recent posts about wonderful sounding meals at Eventide have me savoring this dish, and as I live 1600 miles away, this means trying to do it myself. Internet recipe search only generated this delicious sounding but somewhat fussy take: http://www.eatfoo.com/archives/2009/11/corned_pork_belly_hash_egg_yol.php which while intriguing isn't quite what I'm looking for, and in any event I do not have the equipment to sous vide it for "12 hours @ 82C".

I think I can figure out how to cook the corned pork belly in a satisfactory manner, also to prepare the cooked corn beef, potatoes, onions, etc into a pleasing hash for a quick fry up in the skillet, but I am concerned about the actual corning of the pork belly. The above linked recipe talks about brining it for a mere 3 days, whereas the corned beef brisket recipes I've found often talk about 3 weeks. I understand the size differential between the pork belly slabs I see at the local Asian grocery (at about 1.59 a lb, these seem to be between about an inch and a half thick, and around 2.75 to 4 lbs) and a big old brisket, but 1/7 of the brining time seems hardly enough.

Can anybody clue me in on how long to brine a 3 lb pork belly?

3 days up to 30 days

I'm no pro so hopefully someone has an idea for me, but why would you corn pork belly? Isn't the purpose of corned beef--brisket--to tenderize a tough cut?

Corning and other forms of brining and salting were a form of food preservation before refrigeration. Corning is adding spices to a salt brine, which flavors as well as preserves the meat. Quick brining, as a way of preventing chicken and pork from drying out during the cooking process is not the same as corning, which involves a longer time for the meat to be submerged in the flavored brine, long enough for the spice flavors to completely suffuse the meat. It isn't necessary to brine or corn a brisket in order to make it tender--that takes slow cooking in a moist environment--it's all about the flavor.

It isn't necessary to brine or corn a brisket in order to make it tender--that takes slow cooking in a moist environment--it's all about the flavor.

It's also worth noting that pork belly IS a tough cut that requires either mechanical tenderizing (i.e. thinly slicing it into bacon) or a long, slow, moist cooking (i.e. braise/sous vide).

It's also worth noting that pork belly IS a tough cut that requires either mechanical tenderizing (i.e. thinly slicing it into bacon) or a long, slow, moist cooking (i.e. braise/sous vide).

Roasting is another option for the belly that produces a incredibly soft product without either of the above.

thanks to all, also private message responders.

Pretty cool for a half-ass home cook to get a question like this answered by chefrjdc, among all the other knowledgeable folks. This board rocks (well).

Or just contact me so I can have Miles send you the recipe.

RJ can't toast Pop-Tarts without burning them. The guy needs a recipe for ice.