Tequila for a Groomsmen Gift

jiveturk21

I am looking for a bottle of tequila for a gift for one of my groomsmen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

He loves tequila, but knows very little about it, I know even less. I am looking to spend about $200, so something in that price range would be good. If there is nothing in that price range that is worth it, two different $100 bottles would work as well. Looking for something that is unique, maybe hard too find, but not too hard to find that I can't find it.

To begin with, go with a 100% agave tequila. If it isn't 100%, it's crap. If you're looking to spend $200, I'd go to Ace Beverage and see what Joe has. My first thought would be to get a few bottles in the $50-65 range, maybe a good quality plata, anejo, and reposado. This way he gets three levels of age and taste profiles and high quality tequila. In this vein I'd recommend the Tequila Ocho Single Estate tequilas and I know Joe has them.

Another option would be to get a really good sipping tequila in the $100 range (anejo or reposado) and a bottle of Del Maguey Mezcal.

I wholeheartedly agree with TMF about getting more than one bottle. Especially if he doesn't know much about tequila, it would probably be a nice idea to get him a couple to taste and compare, and he may not appreciate the one single bottle as much as somebody who is more knowledgeable about tequila would.

I'm a fan of El Tesoro Paradiso, which runs around $120. If I recall correctly, this one is aged in bourbon barrels and French cognac barrels. Of all the top-end ones I've tried, this is the one that I'm most likely to buy.

This would leave $80 to play with for a bottle of reposado.