$20 Tuesday - Mandalay, Silver Spring

fuzzy510

Just tossing this out there: Would May 25 work better or worse for anybody? It occurs to me that the 25th might actually be a better date for me, and if others feel the same way or are indifferent, I'd be for moving this one week later.

If the 18th is a better option for everyone else, though, let's just leave things as-is.

After the waffling I did last time, I'm reluctant to say yes. Can I say maybe? My schedule has been really wacky lately. MrP will definitely not be going.

Maybes are certainly fine!

fuzzy510

DanielK

Scott Johnston

zoarster (+1?)

sphere777

olivelady

xcanuck

Porcupine?

Unless the restaurant has been given a headcount and spent time and money, I'm not sure where the harm is? In this particular case, the interest is relatively low in the first place so even a few drop-outs make a big difference. I believe whether there ought to be a $20 Tuesday should be judged on a case by case basis. I think we should go ahead with La Caraquena and see how much interest there is.

Unless the restaurant has been given a headcount and spent time and money, I'm not sure where the harm is? In this particular case, the interest is relatively low in the first place so even a few drop-outs make a big difference. I believe whether there ought to be a $20 Tuesday should be judged on a case by case basis. I think we should go ahead with La Caraquena and see how much interest there is.

[Like with DCCK, I'm tired of seeing people commit, only to drop out at the last minute. It's rude to the organizer, to the restaurant, and to the website. After all this talk about Mandalay, we're on the verge of canceling it. Doesn't fly. By all means, people can do this type of planning in the "On A Whim" thread, but I'm sick of seeing failures for separate $20 Tuesday threads.

People think that just because a service is free (refer to www.donrockwell.com), it's without value, and they take it for granted.]

[Like with DCCK, I'm tired of seeing people commit, only to drop out at the last minute. It's rude to the organizer, to the restaurant, and to the website. After all this talk about Mandalay, we're on the verge of canceling it. Doesn't fly. By all means, people can do this type of planning in the "On A Whim" thread, but I'm sick of seeing failures for separate $20 Tuesday threads.

People think that just because a service is free (refer to www.donrockwell.com), it's without value, and they take it for granted.

It sounds as though the Mandalay Bay event is going to be canceled. Unfortunately, I do not have access to this site during business hours. Please cancel my space because I am fearful that I will arrive at the restaurant, only to find out that it is no longer being held. If there were anyway to know that dinner is still on for tomorrow, I would be there in a flash. For future reference, is there a way to forward 'same day' contact (phone) for any last minute changes? I have been looking forward to this event since it was first announced. Thank you.

Sorry, I had every intention on going and my plans changed. I can not count how many of these dinners I have attended, yet alone organized, and I am sure I have cancelled on a couple as well. Sorry I was rude to anyone on this board beacuse that is not how I am. If members should not sign up, for fear of a later cancellation, then perhaps we should not have any more dinners.This would be a shame, because they are my favorite part of the board.

People think that just because a service is free (refer to www.donrockwell.com), it's without value, and they take it for granted.]

Sorry, I had every intention on going and my plans changed. I can not count how many of these dinners I have attended, yet alone organized, and I am sure I have cancelled on a couple as well. Sorry I was rude to anyone on this board beacuse that is not how I am. If members should not sign up, for fear of a later cancellation, then perhaps we should not have any more dinners.This would be a shame, because they are my favorite part of the board.

I showed up without checking the board. Go me. Went to Ray's the Classics so it wasn't a total loss.

Rob

I showed up without checking the board. Go me. Went to Ray's the Classics so it wasn't a total loss.

Rob

Thanks for showing up Rob! It means a lot that you stuck with it (not sending any signals, just thanking Rob for his civic duty).

Rob

My sincerest apologies; for some reason, I didn't think to send out a PM to those who were still on the "Attending" list to let everyone know of the change of plans.

Doesn't make it better, I know, but I am sorry. First round's on me during the next event.

[scott, I promise I wasn't talking about you, or any other individual. I hate seeing these events fail, and it's my fault for not laying down some sort of groundwork or standard - thing is, I'm not sure I have the time to do anything about it except carp. :)]

But the "$20 Tuesdays," as first conceived, were meant to be small, casual get-togethers, with no set menu or call to the restaurant. I really wanted to go to this one, but was on a night when I would need child care. $20 for dinner and another $30 for a babysitter doesn't work for me. Other people have erratic work schedules. Xcanuck dropped out because his wife was in labor. Shit happens, especially on weeknights. Let's not take away one of the chances to be social just because this one didn't work out. (Although if it does get called off, a PM to those who are still on the list is a good idea.)