Nourish Market, Falls Church and McLean - Owner Karen Sherwood in the Former Kasha's Kitchen Space - Closed

Kasha's kitchen has new owners. this was news to me, at least. It was sold about 2 months ago. the new owners say they are keeping the same recipes. I tried the tofu sandwich, and it was still great. It looks like the new owners are making some small changes to the place but overall the food at the counter looks the same. Some differences: they seem to offer fewer soups each day and they are now open on Sunday.

Kasha Neam sold Kennedy's Natural Foods to a longtime customer, Karen Sherwood, a couple months ago.

It's ironic that I'd been going to Kennedy's for well over ten years, and that Kasha's daughter, Elaine, knew my voice when I called, and even what I was going to order: "Tofu Delight, multi grain, no onions, right?" But as many times as I'd been there, we never even knew each other's names, and they had no idea it was me who had been raving about them for so long.

But yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Karen (yes, Kennedy's is now open mid-day on Sundays), and here's the scoop:

Karen will be keeping the name "Kennedy's Natural Foods" which has been around for decades. She's also opening Nourish Market on Old Dominion Drive in McLean, near the intersection of Spring Hill Road (this is very close to being Great Falls). Nourish Market will (in addition to being a market) feature grab-and-go fare that's made at Kennedy's, so in essence, she'll have a single-kitchen mini-chain in a few more weeks. At some point in the future, "Nourish Market" will be worked into the Kennedy's Natural Foods signage in Falls Church.

The sandwiches (I enjoyed a Chicken Salad, multi-grain, no onions) appear to be fairly close to what they were before, with slight variations on the names.

Cheers,

Rocks

[P.S. Out of deference to both Kasha and Karen, I'm retiring the Kasha's Kitchen thread (retired in italic), and beginning this new one.]

They had their Grand Opening last Friday--they are now open :)

I have to say something about the name of this place. When I see "Nourish Market" in Falls Church, that to me sounds like a new competitor for the Lebanese Butcher! I guess it's a testament to how commonplace ethnic eateries are around here now that I would see the word Nourish and think "Nor-EESH."

Anyway, best of luck to the new owner!

This was just in the Food section in the Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/15/AR2010061502328.html

And as far as waiting for tomatoes to be in season? Not having a sandwich with tomato just because they are not in season is silly. I would not pay $15-25 for an item that featured tomatoes off season, but for a deli sandwich? Lets be a little more real.

Other then that I found the article a nice and accurate review. I had the scuffin and a salad with their house dressing made with Bragg's amino acid. It was actually really good. I was skeptical at first. Their cous cous salad was also very good.

"I'll take Websites for $100, Alex."

"And the answer is:

It trickles up,

it trickles down,

it trickles all around."

"What is peeinginzerogravity.com?"

"Noooo, sorry. <condescending look> The correct answer is ... donrockwell.com."

<look of dejection on contestant>

JUDGES BUZZER RINGS

"Whoops, wait a minute ... <Alex listens to earphone> ... wait a minute ... our judges say ... Close enough!"

<crowd applause>

And as far as waiting for tomatoes to be in season? Not having a sandwich with tomato just because they are not in season is silly. I would not pay $15-25 for an item that featured tomatoes off season, but for a deli sandwich? Lets be a little more real.

Don't know if they still hold to this, but Breadline used to only offer tomatoes on sandwiches in season. Made that first of the season BLT that much better...

I just lunched here for the first time today. I ordered the sprouted lentil burger on a hoagie roll. It came with shredded carrots, red onion, romaine, and cucumber, and a mildly flavored dressing (maybe something like tzatziki). The whole sandwich reminded me of a falafel, only less strongly flavored. I liked it overall, though the patty and the dressing could have used more oomph.

I like the feel of this place though and plan to return to try the numerous other menu items that appealed to me. It's only 2 miles from my work so i'll definitely be back.

I just lunched here for the first time today. I ordered the sprouted lentil burger on a hoagie roll. It came with shredded carrots, red onion, romaine, and cucumber, and a mildly flavored dressing (maybe something like tzatziki). The whole sandwich reminded me of a falafel, only less strongly flavored. I liked it overall, though the patty and the dressing could have used more oomph.

I like the feel of this place though and plan to return to try the numerous other menu items that appealed to me. It's only 2 miles from my work so i'll definitely be back.

also--found a good assortment of organic wines, mostly if not all imports, but some solid selections (Aglianico and Gigondas!)

I went back for lunch today, intending to try the roasted tofu sandwich but, alas, they were out of the tofu. I tried the roasted vegetable pita with garlic sauce that was on special for $6.50 instead and was not disappointed.

Generous (and I mean generous) portion of roasted eggplant, carrots, onions topped with cucumber, Romaine, sprouts, shredded carrots and, at my request, Havarti cheese. Huge sandwich much too big to pick up but tasted great nonetheless. The sauce was pleasantly garlicky, vegetables roasted nicely so they still had some texture and weren't mush, and all the flavors melded nicely. Another hit.

I'll be back at a later date for the tofu sandwich.

It opened on June 4, but the website still says "opening soon." Does anyone know when the website will be up.

Still no website, but we did lunch carry-out today. This is a classy place with excellent sandwiches and sides. They have seven or eight vegetarian sandwiches to complement the ones with hooves, feathers, and fins. Excellent beet salad as a side. At least as good as Black Salt. Very helpful staff. They explained how they have installed cooling units that suck very little energy.

I asked how business was and was told they it was good, but they needed more breakfast traffic. I did not check out the breakfast menu. I really hope that Nourish flourishes.

I hope this place can stay in business. I especially like thier tasty and unadulterated side dishes like tabbouleh, cous cous, orzo, wheatberry salad, quinoa, beets, lentils with apple slices, and mixed vegetables. They also make an interesting variety of sandwiches. But the store is almost always empty. Location may be the problem. It's in a small strip mall on Old Dominion Drive closer to Great Falls than McLean.

I hope this place can stay in business. I especially like thier tasty and unadulterated side dishes like tabbouleh, cous cous, orzo, wheatberry salad, quinoa, beets, lentils with apple slices, and mixed vegetables. They also make an interesting variety of sandwiches. But the store is almost always empty. Location may be the problem. It's in a small strip mall on Old Dominion Drive closer to Great Falls than McLean.

I would wholeheartedly second this assessment. I work in Tysons and occasionally, but not often enough, drive over for carryout lunch from the counter in the back of the store. Last week as I waited for my sandwich to be prepared, I browsed the rest of the store and was struck that the place is like a mini version of whole foods. Things are pricey but thougtfully sourced and they make it easy to eat a healthy meal. The prepared food area is awesome though. As the prior post details, the salad selection is fantastic. I had the wheatberry salad last week and am blanking on the other ingredients but it was really good. I had a tofu sandwich too with all the toppings and quite enjoyed it, if it was a bit messy. I should have ordered it on a roll or some more substantial vessel as the multigrain bread I ordered it on kinda fell apart on me. The flavors were good, though the tofu could have used more texture (maybe a quick sear to give it a crust).

Anyway, this place is unique and even though it is admittedly out of the way, I think it's worth the detour as they are trying their best to give consumers good, healthy choices.

I would wholeheartedly second this assessment. I work in Tysons and occasionally, but not often enough, drive over for carryout lunch from the counter in the back of the store. Last week as I waited for my sandwich to be prepared, I browsed the rest of the store and was struck that the place is like a mini version of whole foods. Things are pricey but thougtfully sourced and they make it easy to eat a healthy meal. The prepared food area is awesome though. As the prior post details, the salad selection is fantastic. I had the wheatberry salad last week and am blanking on the other ingredients but it was really good. I had a tofu sandwich too with all the toppings and quite enjoyed it, if it was a bit messy. I should have ordered it on a roll or some more substantial vessel as the multigrain bread I ordered it on kinda fell apart on me. The flavors were good, though the tofu could have used more texture (maybe a quick sear to give it a crust).

Anyway, this place is unique and even though it is admittedly out of the way, I think it's worth the detour as they are trying their best to give consumers good, healthy choices.

Among other things that I can't identify, the wheatberry salad has macadamia nuts and golden raisins. I like their harvarti dill sandwich with sundried tomatoes, cucumbers, red oinion, and carrots on multigrain bread. The sandwich maker is very nice and will make a sandwich to your specifications.

A friend chose the Falls Church Nourish Market (formerly Kasha's Kitchen) spot for a lunch last week. I'd never heard of it. But I did check here before going and was energized to read about Don's advocacy of it.

Probably fitting that Al the Pal's news about Kasha's sale two years ago was the last post. While our lunch experience there was fine, it wasn't the same as what Don described back between 2006 and 2009.

The owners have stayed true to the healthy and handmade focus. Meat loaf with gluten free bread crumbs in the case looked okay. A few different quinoa and cous cous salads. Locally sourced Kombucha drinks (I'm not a big fan of this very trendy and fast growing beverage segment) and three soups including a respectable but ordinary split pea I ordered along with a salad topped with their "famous" chicken and egg salads. No beef stew or hot foods of note when we were there.

The salad was fine. Good even. But nothing that special and a bit chintzy on portioning. My dining companion's sandwich was fresh with nice amount of turkey and sprouts on regular whole grain bread. The woman working there were very nice, welcoming and happy to answer questions.

It's still a genuine, honest and straightforward place. Food is fine. And, most anything you order will be good for you! Okay for a stop if in the area but definitely not something to travel any distance for imho.