Night of African Wine, Food, & Art: The 2010 Drink Well, Do Good Tour [DC Stop]

Something I'm going to along with some members of my group (11 at this stage) & it seems to be a worthwhile cause. I was able to negotiate a promo code for my group, but figured others might be interested in this too. (I've confirmed that it's OK to pass the code on until it expires) :lol:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

drinkwelltourlogo.jpg

Event Description:

Come join me in a chill night while doing some good:

• Wine Tasting [drink-up lol!] sampling South African wines [provided by Heritage Link Brands]
  • Noshing on [wine-paired] delicious Afro-centric cuisine [i.e. heavy hors d'oeuvres, see Chef details below]
  • Relaxing to DJ-spun Afrobeat music
  • "Getting Your Culture-On" art exhibition featuring some interesting themed items procured from around the world [such as soccor regalia from the South African National Team] which will be available for Silent Auction if interested.
  • Learning more about wine produced in Africa [comment: some very good values can be found in this region]

ISAW (International Society of Africans in Wine) leads the 2010 Drink Well, Do Good tour -- a food, wine, & arts exhibition -- which stops in DC on May 15th. They have a grassroots initiative [nonprofits, community leaders, universities, volunteers, & corporate partners] with a Tour goal to raise $150,000 to acquire a viticultural training center and wine estate in the Western Cape of South Africa.

==> LEARN MORE: http://www.toastafrica.com/

EVENT LOCATION

Funxion

1309 F Street, NW

Washington, Washington DC 20004

ph. (202) 386-9466

HOW TO ATTEND:

I was able to get a discount final price of $50.30 for the tickets (using a promo code, tickets currently sell for $66.40 incl. fees, negotiated with the local ISAW Event Organizers). But that code expires on Friday, May 7th.

As far as I currently understand the ticket pricing after May 7th:

• Ticket prices will be at the regular price of $66.40 [incl. fees] on May 8-9.
  • May 10 - till the event on the 15th, ticket prices will increase to $75 [+ ticket fees]

If you're thinking about going, be sure to purchase your ticket ASAP to lock-in the low $50.30 price!

==> To attend this event, click here to purchase tickets online using promo code "weeklydinner".

Notes:

* Use the link above to purchase your ticket instead of the ToastAfrica.com website [the payment vendor on the TA website can't accept promo codes]. The link above is an APPROVED alternate payment method [got it straight from the Campaign Mgr for this event].

* The promo code will end May 7th, be sure not to wait too long to buy your discount ticket.

* Dress code for the event is Cocktail-style [it's a fun, relaxed event]

CHEFS FOR THIS EVENT:

Summer Whitford has over 20 years of experience in the food and wine industry [former Pastry Chef for 1789 Restaurant and Chef Roberto Donna's Galileo], and has won numerous awards for her work. She formerly served as editor of World Class Cuisine, a highly rated show syndicated in 72 countries.

Andrew Holden is Head Chef @ FoodArts -- a Washington, DC based catering and food service company that provides delicious foods inspired by the arts, exceptional service, and extraordinary special events. Some of their clients include Sunday Brunch at Corcoran Gallery [Joe comment: go check that out sometime, live Gospel singing!] and The Phillips Collection. FoodArts' mission is to provide an exceptional food service program to our clients that is consistent with their mission, and goals, and creates interest and excitement in the venues where we provide services.

Marvin Woods is an Emmy® Award-nominated television host, cookbook author and celebrated chef recognized for his wildly inventive take on food rooted in northern Africa, South America, the Caribbean and the Low Country. His book credits include "The New Low Country" and "Home Plate Cooking," the latter a spin-off of his TV show "Home Plate," which regularly drew over 7 million viewers. Marvin’s food has been regularly featured in O magazine, Food & Wine, Southern Living and other national publications.

EVENT SPACE @ FUNXION:

Here's some pics of the event space @ Funxion [doesn't look stuffy to me lol]:

1db7f409320febda622d81920cf64c8f.jpg

219f7f1a3b99c506d49050a6b298c479.jpg

ca7e65e1b8dc00b840bf782010b326f1.jpg

CLOSEST METRO: Metro Center [Red, Blue, Orange Lines].

Take the "12th & G St NW" exit from the station. Quick 2-block walk to the event.

For directions using the Metro, try using the Trip Planner at the WMATA website.

PARKING: There's on-street metered parking & garages galore as well [I recommend garage since parking fees & hours downtown are now much higher]. The 13th Street PMI Garage is one of the few in DC that's 24/7, that's my favorite garage to goto in the area:

PMI Garage

1325 G Street, NW

Entrance: on G Street between 13th and 14th Streets, NW

Need to Contact the Restaurant? [i.e. confirm location, notify to the group if running late, etc.]. Text on your phone to 466453 (GOOGLE) and type the restaurant name + the city/state in the message body. Google Business Services will text you back with the address and phone #!

Bump as the promo code [lowering the overall ticket price to $50.30] ends on Friday, May 7th.

TICKET PRICE UPDATE! [revised 5/8]

The Promo Code discount has ended.

• Ticket prices will be at the regular price of $66.40 [incl. fees] on May 8-9.
  • May 10 - till the event on the 15th, ticket prices will increase to $75 [+ ticket fees] [but remember any extra money will be put towards the tour goal] [:lol:]

If you're thinking about going, be sure to purchase your ticket ASAP before the final ticket price hike happens on Monday!