Learning About Wine

I can't seem to find a topic on this, so here goes: any of our wine connoisseurs (or even sommeliers) have any advice on how to learn about wine. In my own case, I married well (in any number of ways, including wine): my father-in-law is very into burgundy, keeping us well stocked with the burgundy he collects throughout the year and on his annual visits to Burgundy. But with considerable embarrassment, I'll admit to knowing little about what I'm drinking other than that it costs more than I'd normally spend of my own money on wine. I've asked my father-in-law to teach me, but well, he's my father-in-law so he tends to grunt and toss me a couple of books. I've tried to make sense of those books, but they seem to do little more than point out who the various producers are and how many acres of grapes they have.

So, how can I become a better wine consumer? I know the answer is probably to just taste, taste, and taste some more. But what am I tasting for? I can tell good wine (burgundy at home) from bad wine (crapola at work), but I feel like there must be more to it than that. To be clear, I'm not just talking about burgundy, but rather in general, any advice on how to get started in understanding wine better? I've heard mixed things about various classes around town. Perhaps we could have a virtual class at dr? Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't seem to find a topic on this, so here goes: any of our wine connoisseurs (or even sommeliers) have any advice on how to learn about wine. In my own case, I married well (in any number of ways, including wine): my father-in-law is very into burgundy, keeping us well stocked with the burgundy he collects throughout the year and on his annual visits to Burgundy. But with considerable embarrassment, I'll admit to knowing little about what I'm drinking other than that it costs more than I'd normally spend of my own money on wine. I've asked my father-in-law to teach me, but well, he's my father-in-law so he tends to grunt and toss me a couple of books. I've tried to make sense of those books, but they seem to do little more than point out who the various producers are and how many acres of grapes they have.

So, how can I become a better wine consumer? I know the answer is probably to just taste, taste, and taste some more. But what am I tasting for? I can tell good wine (burgundy at home) from bad wine (crapola at work), but I feel like there must be more to it than that. To be clear, I'm not just talking about burgundy, but rather in general, any advice on how to get started in understanding wine better? I've heard mixed things about various classes around town. Perhaps we could have a virtual class at dr? Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

It's a big, huge, important distinction between learning about "wine," and learning about "Burgundy." One is like learning about "art," and the other is like learning about "Late Italian Renaissance sculpture."

I think the 21st century wine world is no longer amenable to "taste, taste, and taste some more" if you want to acquire meaningful knowledge. Like the internet, today's world of wine is filled with 90% garbage, and you have to be very selective in how you spend your time and money.

So it all depends on whether you want to go for breadth ("wine"), depth ("Burgundy"), or a middle ground. For the neophyte (especially on this website), I think it's a worthwhile goal to be able to navigate a wine list with confidence. It's no small task, but it's doable. One thing it's important to realize: You don't need familiarity with every wine on a list to be able to navigate it.

This article is somewhat dated (Cecile Giannangeli no longer owns the store in McLean, and our dear friend Mike Tilch has left us), but it's a start. Still, I think cultivating a relationship with a retailer (while being a good strategy for having someone pick you out wines you're going to enjoy) is not the best way to acquire knowledge for yourself.

(I'll be happy to teach wine classes if people want me to, but honestly, I think I could pretty much teach online by giving just a few sentences of guidance a week, and replying to any questions people may have.)

Cheers,

Rocks

What do you think would go better with my well done steak at Sizziler a Hearty Burgundy or a White Merlot?

So it all depends on whether you want to go for breadth ("wine"), depth ("Burgundy"), or a middle ground.

Take the middle ground, juxtapose the wines, and drink a White Burgundy (as opposed to a Hearty Merlot).

That will be 99 cents.

And the correct spelling is Sizzler, not Sizziler. Next week's lesson: a primer on the 1976 Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese Goldkapsel, Verwaltung der Staatlichen Weinbaudomanen, A.P. Nr. 1 750 053/49/77.

Here is the compendium of all my wine advice over the years:

1) Personal taste counts for everything.

2) There are only two kinds of wine: the kind you like and the kind you don't.

3) Read a little and drink a lot.

4) Scores and peer pressure can't make you enjoy a wine you don't like.

Like Rocks, I am a Burgundy lover. There is no fast way to learn about Burgundy (thank Napoleon for the inheritance laws in France today, which make Burgundy almost impenetrable). You are lucky enough to have a family member who collects Burgundy. Ask him to show you his favorite bottle some day. Offer to pay him for it if that helps. Perhaps then, you will have what we call "the Burgundy Moment", that moment when the wine shows you things you've never experienced, that moment when you finally "get it". Have a wine party and taste Burgundy next to pinot noirs from other places. It could be that Santa Barbara pinot noir appeals more to you now. Try Bordeaux. Try Rhone wines. Try Spain and Italy. Feel free to ask for recommendations. Above all, enjoy yourself.

And the correct spelling is Sizzler, not Sizziler. Next week's lesson: a primer on the 1976 Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese Goldkapsel, Verwaltung der Staatlichen Weinbaudomanen, A.P. Nr. 1 750 053/49/77.

Well, hot damn, that is why I have never been able to find one, I been spellin' it wrong.

During this primer will you be having a comparative tasting with other botrytized wine from the era, like say a 1976 d'Yquem? I will bring the foie gras...

You are welcome to e-mail me privately at heidi@toyourtastekit.com If you would like to learn about my product, the To Your Taste! Wine Party Kit. I've been working for over four years on this product that is designed to help wine consumers, especially wine novices, what they don't know that they don't know about wine.

I think the 21st century wine world is no longer amenable to "taste, taste, and taste some more" if you want to acquire meaningful knowledge.

Read a little and drink a lot.

Thanks, Don and Mark, but you seem to have something of a disagreement here. I like Don's suggested goal of navigating a wine list with confidence, so how would one start to acquire that skill? And Don: if today's world of wine is "90% garbage" (making tasting an impractical strategy) and if "cultivating a relationship with a retailer. . .is not the best way to acquire knowledge," then how does one go about it?

"you have to kiss hundreds of frogs before you find a prince." Ditto with tasting wine. My advice to many of my friends as they learned to explore wine has never failed, so I will post it here:

1) Find a good independant retailer near you. If you live in NoVa, Rick's in Alexandria, Arrowine in Arlington, Cecile's in McLean were always good bets.

2) Don't spend more than $10 per bottle. (Keeps the costs down, and most of the good independant retailers actually have good, interesting wines in these price points.)

3) Don't buy anything American. Not that I don't love my country, but most of what we bottle and sell at this price point is overmanipulated, flabby, clumsy, crap.

4) Don't buy anything from other countries made for Americans (bright, colored animals on labels, French wines highlighting varietal over appellation/village, etc). If you have no idea what the label is trying to tell you, all the better

5) You are the arbitor of what is good and bad. No one can realistically tell you what you should like.

Drink a bunch of different selections that meet the above criteria. Write down the names of wines you really liked. Then begin to explore these wines and regions more deeply, say, going from $10 btls to $12 botlles, to $15 bottles. Ask your knowledgeable retailer what they might recommend similar to what you've had. And last but not least, don't fret over what you can and cannot smell, or can and cannot taste in a wine. Just drink, happily and heartily, and pretty soon, you'll know and enjoy more than you ever thought.

I would also steal wine from your in-laws cellar when he is not looking. This will keep the costs down.

Thanks, Don and Mark, but you seem to have something of a disagreement here. I like Don's suggested goal of navigating a wine list with confidence, so how would one start to acquire that skill? And Don: if today's world of wine is "90% garbage" (making tasting an impractical strategy) and if "cultivating a relationship with a retailer. . .is not the best way to acquire knowledge," then how does one go about it?

I recommend How To Taste, A Guide to Enjoying Wine by Jancis Robinson, an eminint wine writer and critic. She spells out an organized way to develop your palate, learn about the characteristics of different varietals and regional styles. There's a lot here, and she recommends specific wines to buy for organized tasting parties and then what to look for when you taste them. It's a very helpful book.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but it helps to have guidance when it comes to acquiring knowledge. There's no way around tasting and studying, but it helps to be steered into what, exactly, to taste and study. A retailer can help you with this, but it needs to be a really caring, patient retailer.

If I were set up to give wine classes, I could have people navigating wine lists competently within weeks or months (and no, I'm not angling to do this).

Cheers,

Rocks

Great thread.

Another way to taste a lot is to have wine buddies that you can share wines with...ideally regularly. It makes the cost of tasting (a lot) much more cost effective. Plus you will try wines you never had the chance to try (or might never!).

(I'll be happy to teach wine classes if people want me to, but honestly, I think I could pretty much teach online by giving just a few sentences of guidance a week, and replying to any questions people may have.)

That would be great--online or at wine tastings or other events.

Here is the compendium of all my wine advice over the years:

1) Personal taste counts for everything.

2) There are only two kinds of wine: the kind you like and the kind you don't.

3) Read a little and drink a lot.

4) Scores and peer pressure can't make you enjoy a wine you don't like.

Like Rocks, I am a Burgundy lover. There is no fast way to learn about Burgundy (thank Napoleon for the inheritance laws in France today, which make Burgundy almost impenetrable). You are lucky enough to have a family member who collects Burgundy. Ask him to show you his favorite bottle some day. Offer to pay him for it if that helps. Perhaps then, you will have what we call "the Burgundy Moment", that moment when the wine shows you things you've never experienced, that moment when you finally "get it". Have a wine party and taste Burgundy next to pinot noirs from other places. It could be that Santa Barbara pinot noir appeals more to you now. Try Bordeaux. Try Rhone wines. Try Spain and Italy. Feel free to ask for recommendations. Above all, enjoy yourself.

I think this is great advice. I have a family member with expertise and have taken some classes, gone to tastings, etc. Still I feel I have a lot to learn, which I seem to do best by diving in. I'm at the point where I have a sense of what I like and don't like. The challenge for me is keeping track of the great wines I experience. And from time to time I try to break out of my comfort zone, which I'm better able to do when someone knowledgeable gives me a little push to try something different.

I would only add that when you taste, taste with a small group and taste blind. We call it mystery wine. Put it in a bag and try to guess the grape or grapes, origin, producer, vintage, winemaking style, etc. Doing this repeatedly quickly improves one's palate.

I would also join Don's class...as long as our grades remain confidential.

Blind tasting is certainly very enlightening, but you have to have a tremendous amount of knowledge before tackling that endeavor, either through study or through drinking. A novice has no chance of differentiating between Chenin Blanc from Vouvray vs. Touraine, etc, if they have no idea what Chenin Blanc is.

Blind tasting is certainly very enlightening, but you have to have a tremendous amount of knowledge before tackling that endeavor, either through study or through drinking. A novice has no chance of differentiating between Chenin Blanc from Vouvray vs. Touraine, etc, if they have no idea what Chenin Blanc is.

True, but the mystery wine day can focus on a region or grape or style and folks can read up before attending. I have done this in the past and it works well.

Maybe it is time to get a tasting group together again...

I was a novice at my first mystery wine tasting, heck at my first 20 or 50. I did not say too much at first, just inhaled, tasted and listened to what the pros had to say about the wine. In time you learn and have a lot of fun tasting some great wines with friends.

Hey! I graduated to clam!

The amount of knowledge needed depends on the difficulty of the tasting that's been set up. There are much simpler options for setting up a blind tasting for a beginner than something like what you've described.

My wine club first worked our way through Andrea Immer's guide to wine. Our first tasting was getting to know the 6 "main" grapes - if I remember correctly, sauv blanc, chard, riesling, pinot, merlot, and cab. Each person would take responsibility for a chapter each month - read through it, prepare notes to present to the group, and set up a tasting, some blind, some not depending on the situation. The other group members were often each assigned a certain type of wine to get for hte tasting (a grape or region, etc. - Immer's book gives specific examples in various price ranges too) so we still got to play a part in teh process each month. We moved on to more detailed chapters about regions or grapes and one about pairing food and wine. At the end of the book, we did a blind tasting of the main grapes we had first learned about. We let people guess as much or as little about hte wines as they wanted as some of us were more into it than others. It was all fun, and a useful way to learn.

I actually think I learned the most about wine from visiting wineries - taking tours, asking questions during the tastings, etc. There are enough wineries in VA and MD that a novice could learn a ton by visiting local places. I think it's good to also taste wines from other regions to keep an open mind/palate, but in terms of learning about the winemaking process and whether you have preferences for certain traits - white or red, lighter or fuller bodied, old world vs. new world, etc. - visits to local places where you often have access to the owners or winemakers themselves can be incredibly valuable.

What do you think would go better with my well done steak at Sizziler a Hearty Burgundy or a White Merlot?

I did notice that at Ray's East of the River they have a White Zinfandel on the list. Throughout the meal I kept picturing Slater with eight Reidle glasses each bearing a splash of pink, swirling and spitting and hemming and hawing before eliminating the Sutter Home....

OK, I love a good rose in the summer, but the phrase "White Zinfandel" brings back a lot of bad memories of the early 80s.

I thought of this thread when I learned of an upcoming event at Black Ankle:

Secrets to Sipping like a Sommelier

Sunday, May 30th

$40

2:00 p.m.

Whether you have achieved the distinction of Sommelier or are just beginning to explore your interest in wine, this event is an unmatched opportunity to learn a bit from and drink a little wine with one of the best tasters in the country.

Local sommlier, Julie Dalton, currently of Ranazul will join us at the farm to discuss and demonstrate the details of blind tasting (as they are taught in the Court of Master Sommeliers). Using both old world and new world examples, and maybe a Black Ankle wine or two, Julie will explain The Deductive Tasting Method.

Seating will be limited to 25 people, so be sure to reserve your spot early!

For reservations email melissa@blackankle.com.

If anyone decides to go, let me know so we can introduce ourselves to each other.

I would add to Mark's suggestion to read a little and drink a lot. Talk and write. Using words when drinking is a great tool to learning and remembering. A few years back I was roughly where you are. I can't claim expertise, but I have deepened my knowledge and appreciation and am no longer intimidated by even the longest of wine lists.

I found that talking about wine with a more experienced drinker, whether at a store, a bar, a winery, your friends, or the sommelier (and I have asked all of these along the way) is a great help. To have a sip and then talk about things like fruit-forward, acid, tannins, oak, structure, balance, young wine, old vines, etc will give you points of reference. Some may say that it is hard to find a patient person to talk to you. I have found the opposite. Most wine people love to talk wine, have lots of opinions, and want to share their passion.

I also try to keep a wine journal. When I open a bottle at home I record the vital stats and then do my best to describe it. Sometimes just a couple words, sometimes a paragraph. The act of choosing words makes you think a little bit about what is going on when you taste. It also helps to build a bank of memories to associate with wines. And I agree completely that the most important thing to keep track of is whether you like it.

Is there interest in starting a group to learn about wine. I'm open to ideas but we could schedule a time where we all taste and discuss online about what we are drinking. Keep it themed with some education/homework in preparation for the tasting. Say once every few weeks and if there is interest we can meet irregularly at one of the better wine friendly happy hours around town.

^ I'm in. The Ministry of Rum does a monthly tasting of the "rum of the month" where everyone meets in a chat room, drinks, and discusses. I would love to do the same with wine (assuming somebody in the know chooses the wine.)

We could all pick a specific type or all taste the same wine. Either way i'm game.

I am interested. Depending on the experience of the group it might be good to start with the same wine so folks can discuss. However the problem with tasting only one wine is that you cannot easily do comparisons of style or grape. Of course if everyone is doing this at home solo opening multiple bottles of wine is not ideal.

I am interested. Depending on the experience of the group it might be good to start with the same wine so folks can discuss. However the problem with tasting only one wine is that you cannot easily do comparisons of style or grape. Of course if everyone is doing this at home solo opening multiple bottles of wine is not ideal.

I think two bottles of closely related wines might work well for this format - it could be over the course of several days (i.e. not a live chat), although ideally you'd want to taste the wines side-by-side at some point.

I think two bottles of closely related wines might work well for this format - it could be over the course of several days (i.e. not a live chat), although ideally you'd want to taste the wines side-by-side at some point.

I'd be interested.

I'm quite grateful for all the very helpful replies to my original post, and I'd certainly be interested in participating. (And I'll see if I can throw in some of that Burgundy I mentioned above when we get to that lesson. . .)

Don or Mark (or anybody else), any suggestions on what should be covered in our first "class?"

I'm quite grateful for all the very helpful replies to my original post, and I'd certainly be interested in participating. (And I'll see if I can throw in some of that Burgundy I mentioned above when we get to that lesson. . .)

Don or Mark (or anybody else), any suggestions on what should be covered in our first "class?"

How about this, and something to complement it? I know Joe Riley can get it at Ace (because he berated me for buying it elsewhere!). I think it's important that we keep both wines (assuming that's the format we're using) inexpensive so everyone can participate.

(P.S. I'm not trying to ramrod this wine down peoples' gullets, so if anyone has any other ideas, please do chime in (I figured it was as good a place to start as any.).)

(P.S. I'm not trying to ramrod this wine down peoples' gullets, so if anyone has any other ideas, please do chime in (I figured it was as good a place to start as any.).)

Ramrod away. :lol: I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had someone to help me choose wines. I usually buy something I liked in a restaurant or look for the controlled origin designation.

I'm interested as well. The only potential problem for me is that I can't get into DC to get the wine so easy to find wines would also be appreciated. I realize that may add a qualifier that makes it much more difficult to pick good wines. If that turns out to be the case, I won't participate but wanted to throw it out for consideration.

How about this, and something to complement it? I know Joe Riley can get it at Ace (because he berated me for buying it elsewhere!). I think it's important that we keep both wines (assuming that's the format we're using) inexpensive so everyone can participate.

No ramroding at all. I think we're (or at least I am) looking for precisely that type of guidance. And I agree that affordable is key. The more participating, the more we'll all learn.

Anybody with ideas on a complementary wine?

I'd be willing to serve as some sort of informal convener of this thing if we need somebody in that role. I'd open a thread on some agreed to date for people to chime in on the wines. Maybe play bad cop if the discussion runs too far afield? (Not trying to assert myself; just volunteering if we think we need somebody to play that role.)

Is there interest in starting a group to learn about wine. I'm open to ideas but we could schedule a time where we all taste and discuss online about what we are drinking. Keep it themed with some education/homework in preparation for the tasting.

Didn't Jake do something like this for us a few years back?

Didn't Jake do something like this for us a few years back?

Are you thinking of the muscadet tasting?

Also a few years back, Jake and mdt graciously led me on a tasting tour of the upstairs Enomatic at Whole Food Fair Lakes. It was hard to beat for convenience...plenty of tasting glasses racked up and ready, and everything available in tasting pour sizes, whether your tastes run to classical styles or to Parkerized wines.

For those itching to get started, this $15 Thursday Event at Anderson House doesn't sound bad.

In terms of our own event, we're fortunate enough to have several experts in our midst. It may not be a bad idea to draw on as many of them as we can. I'll go ahead and volunteer to do the first tasting (is this okay?), but I encourage all our experts to chime in and correct me, add information, etc. We all have our strengths as teachers, and one of mine is that I don't want to flood people with information, so I tend to insist on learning - and permanently retaining - what I consider to be basic, crucial knowledge, with links and references to other, more in-depth material should the student wish to explore further. (I do this anticipating that there will be many of these "classes," each to build on the previous one, and that it's important to retain a small amount of vital knowledge from each course, rather than struggling to memorize too much detail, and then forgetting it a week later). Other experts here will probably have equally valid teaching methods that are different from mine.

So can I volunteer for the first one? I can pick up some Le Petiot, a complementary wine, and have them at the picnic for everyone to purchase (please bring a check), if that's what folks want. I'll keep it under $30 total for sure, hopefully around $25. Please don't go home and start drinking them until I organize my teaching notes the following week. :lol:

This week, I'll need to know about how many people are coming to the picnic that will want to participate in this. Whatever's left over, I'll happily keep for my personal cellar, and enjoy over the next couple of years.

Again, this may not be a perfect solution, but I fear that if someone doesn't step up and start somewhere, we won't get started at all, and this seems like a really fun, sustainable program that we can enjoy in the comforts of our own homes. No stress, no pressure.

Cheers,

Rocks

So can I volunteer for the first one? I can pick up some Le Petiot, a complementary wine, and have them at the picnic for everyone to purchase (please bring a check), if that's what folks want. I'll keep it under $30 total for sure, hopefully around $25. Please don't go home and start drinking them until I organize my teaching notes the following week. :lol:

Don, this sounds great. Thanks. But for those of us who can't make the picnic, perhaps you can just post the other wine and we can try to track them both down.

Are you thinking of the muscadet tasting?

Nope. It was on line. He suggested a bottle or two, people went out and bought them and drank and made notes, and we discussed it on line. It was short-lived, as I recall; participation wasn't very strong. But it was good while it lasted.