The Chain Rant

bilrus

Really hard, apparently. Do you suppose they used the dreaded Miracle Whip?
I don't know what the heck it was. And looking at the cheesecake case ruined my appetite. I take medicine that requires me to eat regularly or that crap would have been thrown out the window on the Beltway.

I compare every club sandwich to my beloved turkey & bacon club at Trio, and most fall far short of that ideal. Why couldn't Trio open more locations? That's a chain I'd be willing to go to. :lol:

I don't know what the heck it was. And looking at the cheesecake case ruined my appetite. I take medicine that requires me to eat regularly or that crap would have been thrown out the window on the Beltway.

I compare every club sandwich to my beloved turkey & bacon club at Trio, and most fall far short of that ideal. Why couldn't Trio open more locations? That's a chain I'd be willing to go to. :lol:

Union Street Pub in Old Town makes a decent club sandwich. But I'm with you. If the sandwiches are the best thing on the menu, usually the club is what I'll go for. But I hate it when they give you stale chips (happens more frequently in the summer when it is humid).

Friday's is just is plain old nasty. They should switch to Sysco products as a upgrade. I did not feel that "everyday is Friday" nor will I ever buy a $9 dollar cobb salad again that just plain sucks. Why did they get rid of the buffalo chicken salad? That is what i wanted. Even my 8 year old said the food was not good, and she was eating Mac and Cheese.

Enought said, yuck, crap, blah..., mall food sucks, yuck, not even a green beer (which they did not have) would improve my visit.

Friday's is just is plain old nasty. They should switch to Sysco products as a upgrade. I did not feel that "everyday is Friday" nor will I ever buy a $9 dollar cobb salad again that just plain sucks. Why did they get rid of the buffalo chicken salad? That is what i wanted. Even my 8 year old said the food was not good, and she was eating Mac and Cheese.

Enought said, yuck, crap, blah..., mall food sucks, yuck, not even a green beer (which they did not have) would improve my visit.

That's because you've never had the Friday Night Special. ;)

"The sex often took place after dinner at a local T.G.I. Friday's, he said."

Has anyone actually looked at how sorry the list of American restaurants is in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide?

It's pathetic.

A shoe salesperson works hard for years and saves the money to open a shop of her own. That store does well, so she opens another location. It does good business, she's able to open more stores. The stores stock the brands that people like, the atmosphere is welcoming, the service is consistent, and before too long she owns a regional chain employing dozens of people. The chain is large enough that it can offer good wages, management training, and benefits to workers. The chain owner, after busting her ass for years, is able to work less, enjoy family, take vacations, etc. Later on, the regional chain is taken national, or perhaps bought by another chain, and the owner is able to retire while still young enough to enjoy it.

This is the American dream, right? Except for restaurants.

Let me see... the agribusiness empire os one of the largest contributors to the best government money can buy.... zoning laws favor huge develpoers (tax increment financing to major developers dwarfs all small business programs in the DC area)... food code is written by the paid toadies of the large food industry and is not scientificaly based (ie the use of plastic cutting boards is required in the model food code even though they are more costly and less clean than wood... ohhh I forgot, they are petrochemical products)... big business in the DC area is favored by the local tax code (ie the tax burden for the nationals first proposed would have small businesses like restaurants paying the same as huge car sales operations since the cap on revenue before the maximum tax was set so low).... ever try to get a group health care policy for 5 or 10 people?

yep all them market forces are really saying to the big guys you are exactly what the world wants. If the playing field were even close to level, then we could talk about market forces.

Wow. I like that one!!!!

Frankly I don't mind chains. I went back to that list of chains in the area. I think some of them (deffo a minority) offer good quality and/or good value.

I know we learned this operating a simple small business(es) and working to expand them. You have to work to get all your processes down and repeated over many years as their is incredible turnover. The stuff that used to work gets lost and ignored.

I know in reaching out to various "bartender employers" over the years including local and national chains, the in house programs they had for training got lost, almost in all cases. OTOH, Clydes has this remarkable detailed training manual for FOH staff. Good for them. It helps them maintain certain standards that have worked over the years and still work.

I know cooking and preparation standards get "lost"

With turnover over the years its difficult to maintain all sorts of standards. As far as chains deteriorating the one that gnaws at me is how Hard Times managed to totally f*ck up what was once a great dish in Chicken Alamo. I'd fine them or send them to Siberia. Its either criminal or Siberia IMHO