Rush on Seafood in New Orleans

MC Horoscope

Rush on Gulf seafood in New Orleans.

(video from NY Times: http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/05/07/us/1247467793931/a-rush-on-seafood-in-new-orleans.html)

I am so bummed out about this oil gusher! I go to Lafayette, Louisiana every year to see family and come home with about 50 pounds of Gulf shrimp. Not this year, I'm afraid.

And think of the livelihoods this is disrupting!

I can't understand why this is going on for so long. If the top kill method doesn't work then it might not be stopped until August, which is when the hurricane season becomes more active. Does anyone know if the local area restaurants are having a hard time getting seafood? I was at Libertytown Seafood in Frederick not long ago and the bartender said more restaurants were getting their crabs from North Carolina, so the supply was a little tight.

I'm headed down to NOLA Thursday, will talk to a few people.

I, for one, will be quite interested in what you learn. I have been buying the frozen "Wild Gulf Shrimp" that Giant sells because it is supposed to be sustainable. I'm just wondering if I need to save that last 2lb. bag for some really special blow-out dinner. Or, just continue to use it as I always do. :lol:

Well, we were recently west of New Orleans, in Lafayette, but had no qualms about eating seafood and saw no shortages or price hikes. It may be a different story come winter time for oysters. June is the tail end of crawfish season and just the beginning of shrimp season, but they were both on a lot of menus we saw. Didn't have the logistics to bring home fresh frozen stuff, unfortunately.