Romantic Dinner for Two

bookluvingbabe

Last year for our anniversary, my in-laws offered to send us out to dinner to a place of our choice. (They did this several years ago and we had a great dinner at Citronelle.) Now, with just minutes to spare before our next anniversary, we have lined up a baby-sitter for the 22nd.

We are looking for quiet dining, really good food, a terrific cocktail or one perfect glass of wine and somewhere we probably wouldn't take our 3 year old. Ideally, it would be someplace we haven't been before.

Our first choice is Cityzen and we are on the wait list there.

So:

The Source

Proof (I've been twice, he's been once--I suspect I like it more than he does)

Marcel's

Vidalia (I've been a few times in the last year; he hasn't been since RJ Cooper took over the kitchen.)

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Last year for our anniversary, my in-laws offered to send us out to dinner to a place of our choice. (They did this several years ago and we had a great dinner at Citronelle.) Now, with just minutes to spare before our next anniversary, we have lined up a baby-sitter for the 22nd.

We are looking for quiet dining, really good food, a terrific cocktail or one perfect glass of wine and somewhere we probably wouldn't take our 3 year old. Ideally, it would be someplace we haven't been before.

Our first choice is Cityzen and we are on the wait list there.

So:

The Source

Proof (I've been twice, he's been once--I suspect I like it more than he does)

Marcel's

Vidalia (I've been a few times in the last year; he hasn't been since RJ Cooper took over the kitchen.)

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Plume in the Jefferson Hotel. I've been remiss in writing about my past few dinners there, but they have been superb.

We are looking for quiet dining, really good food, a terrific cocktail or one perfect glass of wine and somewhere we probably wouldn't take our 3 year old.

<snip>

So:

The Source

Quiet? no

Really good food? maybe, but it certainly isn't unique to DC or particularly interesting

Cocktail or wine? not sure there, sorry

Wouldn't take a 3 year old? ...I'm not going to touch that one

Seriously, though, I agree with Daniel about Marcel's.

I would generally be in the Marcel's camp, but it really has begun to slip, the food is a mere shadow of its former self, my last visit found even the boudin blanc to be lacking. It has been one of my favorite restaurants for many years, the room is still as lovely as ever, and the service still sublime, but I think it is well past time for Wiedmaier to start paying a little more notice to the cooking at his flagship.

I second Palena. Especially because there aren't a lot of people in the back room so it tends to be quiet and you definitely wouldn't take the 3 year old in the back room section. And the wine list isn't bad so you should be able to find something you are happy with.

I just haven't been loving the food at 2941 lately, it is good, but just a little normal to me, but the atmosphere is quieter, wouldn't take a 3 year old and they have a lovely, lovely wine list. So if the menu looks good- they prepare everything very well, just hasn't been what I have been into lately.

I really love Marcel's so hope that Sthitch isn't correct, but I wouldn't want to be the one to test the theory with so few meals by yourselves.

Is Trummer's on Main in Clifton too far out of the way? Lovely wine list. I have had excellent meals of late, and the tables are spaced so it isn't too noisy? I would love to have an Anniversary Dinner here.