J&G or Plume?

qwertyy

Brother and dad are coming into town Father's Day weekend, and while most of the time will be taken up by baseball, we're setting aside Saturday night for a special Father's Day dinner. I think I have it narrowed down to Plume or J&G, but I'm having a tough time making the final decision. Dad has good taste, but straightforward and somewhat safe--no curries or other "strange" stuff. I think he'd flip over the view at J&G (there IS a view, right? odd that none of the reviews seem to mention it) and love the decadence of the Plume tasting menu. But I don't see any recent reviews of Plume here, and the reviews of J&G are inconsistent.

Help?

I think he'd flip over the view at J&G (there IS a view, right? odd that none of the reviews seem to mention it)

The view is from POV, the lounge at the top of the building -- which is *not* J&G and not really where you want to eat. (Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong -- but I think J&G is either the first floor or even down a level.)

The view is from POV, the lounge at the top of the building -- which is *not* J&G and not really where you want to eat. (Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong -- but I think J&G is either the first floor or even down a level.)

I've been to POV (where the view is extraordinary) and assumed the restaurant had one too. Wrong?

There really isn't much of a view from the restaurant. There are some tables at Bourbon Steak that offer a nice view of the river, and food that is both delicious and safe (I would say similar things about the food at J&G).

Brother and dad are coming into town Father's Day weekend, and while most of the time will be taken up by baseball, we're setting aside Saturday night for a special Father's Day dinner. I think I have it narrowed down to Plume or J&G, but I'm having a tough time making the final decision. Dad has good taste, but straightforward and somewhat safe--no curries or other "strange" stuff. I think he'd flip over the view at J&G (there IS a view, right? odd that none of the reviews seem to mention it) and love the decadence of the Plume tasting menu. But I don't see any recent reviews of Plume here, and the reviews of J&G are inconsistent.

Help?

Plume by a landslide, especially if your dad is into wine. If he happens to love madeira, then even more of a landslide.

edit: I have failed to write up my experiences at Plume (which I hope to remedy this weekend), but over three meals ( one tasting menu, two ala cartes) I have been more than pleased. Comparitively, I've only been to J&G twice.

I haven't been to Plume, but it seems that the reviews are very mixed. It seems like an iffy proposition. I've been to J&G 3 times and every time it has delivered on every score -- food/wine, service, ambiance. Regarding the view: J&G is on the ground floor of the W Hotel. There is no 'view' as such. However, if you get a window table, you can have a view of the Washington Monument, which at night, when it's lit up, is pretty dramatic. If a view is important, my recommendation would be that you book a pre-dinner reservation at the POV Lounge on the top of the hotel which has the incredible view and have a drink up there before going down to dinner. I think the drinks and apps up there are pretty lousy, but the main purpose in going up there is the view.