Puro Cafe, Wisconsin Avenue in North Georgetown - Closed

A friend of mine has been raving about Puro Café for weeks, and I finally got around to trying it yesterday. I found the experience very relaxing. Puro Café (which is across the street from Café Bonaparte) is an oasis of calm in the midst of the hustle bustle in Georgetown. From the moment you walk in, you feel like you've been transported to a modern Italian coffee bar. The decor is futuristic, modern; everything is white inside the space (although the low-to-the-ground chairs, while chic-looking, did not appear to be comfortable. Fortunately, we sat outside where there are directors' chairs, banquettes, and other seating).

Puro Cafe serves a variety of hot and cold espresso drinks along with Moroccan style-tea (served in traditional glasses), Italian sodas, lemonade, and other beverages. They also serve panini, salads, and light breakfast dishes like salads, Greek yogurt, and pastries. And I can't forget to mention the alfajores, petits fours, and macarons, which for some unexplained reason ( a moment of rare self-restraint, I guess), I didn't try yesterday.

The highlight of the place is its outdoor patio. It's a huge space, which is tastefully decorated with sun umbrellas and billowing curtains (the only thing I would add would be a fountain or perhaps a waterfall). My friend and I enjoyed our iced coffee drinks. I had a Nutelino, an iced coffee drink made with espresso, milk, and Nutella. It was heavenly. My friend got an iced Caffe Latte and also ordered a veggie panini (eggplant, roasted peppers, mushrooms, and maybe zucchini). It looked fresh and well-made. Prices range from $9.75+ for a panini (which is on par with Pain Quotidien and a little higher, but higher than nearby Wisey's which also serves similar panini and sandwiches). Coffee drinks were around $4.50+.

My friend told me that Puro Cafe has applied for a liquor license. I hope it gets it soon. The outdoor patio seems like a perfect place to grab a drink and sit back, and relax. My friend and I were so relaxed that we lost track of time. I think we were there for almost 3 hours. We had the place pretty much to ourselves—just a few other people joined us on the patio, and it was great to be able to catch up with a friend and not be rushed and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere I look forward to going back and trying the alfajores and macarons.