Ray's The Steaks Dinner, Mon Dec 5th, 7 PM

hillvalley

I am thrilled to announce that our next dinner will be held on Monday, December 5th. $15 of the cost of the dinner per person will be donated by the Chef to Coaching For College

The dinner will not have a wine pairing option but you will be able to bring your own wine.

Don will announce the details on Monday, November 7th. No PM's or emails please!!! Once again we are giving advanced notice about the dinner to give everyone a fair change.

We will use the same lottery system as was used for the 2941 Dinner. Once the event is announced you will have 24 hours to PM me to get into the lottery. This dinner will fill up quickly and we want to make it as fair as possible.

Guests and lurkers, if you would like to join us for the dinner please register. As long as you register by Tuesday morning you will be eligible for the dinner lottery. I hope you will join us!

Until Monday.....

Edited by hillvalley

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ustreetguy seemed to be enjoying his dinner as well, but I'll leave that up to him to comment.  Incidentally, he is sworn to secrecy regarding the December 5th dinner, so please don't press him for information this evening at the 2941 dinner.

We were having the wine pairing tonight at 2941, so Mr. S and I sat down at one of the tables cleverly set with multiple wine glasses (that's how the servers knew who was getting the wine). We joined Barbara and Craig and Monique DC, and were soon joined by Goldenticket +1. There was one empty seat at our table, which was soon occupied by a lone gentleman whom none of us recognized. We all casually scanned his name tag and saw no screen name--it read Larry T-something.

Everyone at the table was wondering the same thing: Who is this mystery man?

We all started to connect the dots at the same time: square jaw, broad shoulders, white shirt and tie . . . "ohmigod--you're ustreetguy!!!" He did look just like his Avatar. :lol:

So we went to work on him.

We tried subtlety: "You have something you'd like to share with us?"

We tried reasoning: "It's almost Monday . . . we'll know soon enough anyway, so you might as well tell us now."

We tried sharing stories of conversations we'd had with Don Rockwell, hoping he'd slip up in telling us his stories.

I think Barbara even tried to bribe him with a bite of her escargot.

But it was a no-go.

I doubt that even trying to blackmail him with pictures of him eating cotton candy would have weakened his resolve.

Well, we tried, but we all still have to wait until tomorrow.

Rocks, you picked a good guy to share your secret!

We all started to connect the dots at the same time: square jaw, broad shoulders, white shirt and tie . . . "ohmigod--you're ustreetguy!!!"  He did look just like his Avatar. :P

I suppose in build, but I'm not quite sure about the blonde hair :lol: . As always, it was a pleasure meeting everyone tonight!

Michael Landrum is going to open up Ray’s The Steaks in Arlington for us on Monday night, December 5th at 7 PM (dinner served at 7:30 PM). While Ray’s is usually closed on Mondays, Michael is allowing us to have the entire restaurant for a private dinner.

Since we have the entire restaurant to ourselves, Virginia state law allows us to bring our own wines, and so this will be exclusively a bring-your-own wine event. I asked Michael if he wanted us to bring our own stemware as well, but he told me he wants people to relax and enjoy themselves, and so he’s happily providing a couple wine glasses for each person.

And here’s the menu!

An amuse-appetizer of scallop and scampi

Lobster bisque

Choice of hanger steak or salmon served with creamed spinach, mashed potatoes and mushrooms

Choice of key-lime pie or strawberries

The price? $45 including tax and tip. That’s $45, total.

And if this wasn’t generous enough, Michael is graciously going to donate $15 for each person to Coaching For College, a great organization mentoring and motivating youths attending Shaw Junior High School. Please visit Coaching For College's website here.

Needless to say, this event is going to sell out, and we’ll need to institute a lottery system. There’s no rush to get your requests in: as long as you PM hillvalley between now and Thursday morning, you’ll be placed into the lottery pool. Please send all requests only via PM to hillvalley. Sometime during the following few days, we’ll figure out an equitable lottery system that will allow a randomly chosen 38 people to attend. I’m going to go ahead and guarantee hillvalley and her friend the 39th and 40th spots at this dinner since she does so much hard work for this website.

There you go: the Ray’s The Steaks dinner benefiting Coaching For College, December 5th at 7 PM (dinner to begin at 7:30). Bring your own wine and enjoy the evening.

Cheers!

Rocks.

You all should see my in box :lol:

Please do not send any other information other than if you would like one seat or two.

I want to comment on Coaching for College. I have worked with a number of students involved with the program. Despite what you may think, for low income students junior high is when they need to start working on college preparation. Informal studies have shown that if you work with junior high students on college preparation and goals they are more likely to graduate from high school and continue on to college or trade school. Shaw is located near the new convention center. College was not even a thought for many of the parents whose children attend the school. Most of these students and their families could not even imagine enjoying the dinner we will at Ray's. Thank you Michael, for choosing a small but worthy organization.

Hi! I'm new! I'm embarrassed! ... Is Ray's near a Metro, or is cab-bage required? (I usually only leave the city by plane.)

It's just about halfway between the Rosslyn Metro and the Courthouse Stop. Here's a hint: Get off at Courthouse and walk DOWN the hill to Ray's. Then, when going home, continuing walking DOWN the hill to the Rosslyn stop. :lol:

If chosen, I'll bring a '53 or '55 Burgundy.  No, I'm not kidding.

If chosen, I'm sitting at Stephen B's table.

Tradition has it that the dinner organizer gets a glass from every bottle :lol:

Hi! I'm new! I'm embarrassed! ... Is Ray's near a Metro, or is cab-bage required? (I usually only leave the city by plane.)

It is Metro accessible and I am sure there will be people crossing the river who can offer a ride. I have heard from a lot of first times and newbies, please don't let that stop you from entering the lottery.

Guests and lurkers, if that menu, price, and charitable cause doesn't make your mouth water and want to register I don't know what will :P

If chosen, I'll bring some '66 and/or '61 Bordeaux. Carruades of Lafite is one possibility.

:lol:

Hillvalley can have all she wants as long as she sits at my table

Edited by johnb

It's just about halfway between the Rosslyn Metro and the Courthouse Stop.  Here's a hint:  Get off at Courthouse and walk DOWN the hill to Ray's.  Then, when going home, continuing walking DOWN the hill to the Rosslyn stop. :lol:

I think you all are my kind of people!

A few people sent me emails instead of pm's. I replied to your emails but please make sure that you send me a PM!!! I cannot guarantee that you will make it into the lottery if you don't.

Also, please make sure to include your real first name in the PM.

I'm going to hold out on announcing actual numbers of how many of you entered the lottery and how many total people want to come (you all have lots of friends :lol: ) but even Don was surprised.

Edited by hillvalley

Stephen --

I hope this time, it'll be a red burgundy. I have to tell you, that after the BlackSalt dinner, there is no question in my mind (if there ever was), that fifty year-old white burgundy, no matter how well cellared, is not drinkable. :lol:

I would love to see hillvalley after a glass from every bottle!  :lol: Too bad I will be in class.

You know me, I like a challenge. Now all I need is someone to drive me home. :(

I'm still taking names for the lottery. You've got until Thursday morning.

To all our new members from the last few days, please feel free to enter the lottery. Just send me a PM with your first name and whether you would like one or two spots.

The number of spots you ask for does not change your chances of getting a seat (or two). I apologize for not responding to all of your PM's but well, that work thing gets in the way. I will post a list* (it's a long one :P ) of who I have heard from (although not how many spots you have asked for) Thursday night.

I'll fill you in on the rest of the details later in the week. If you have any questions please post them here. Chance are someone else is wondering the same thing.

One last item: someone sent me an email request for a spot and I replied, asking them to send me a PM. As far as I know you did not send me a PM. I know longer have the email so I don't know who you are. Please PM me if you want to be included in the lottery. (johnb your fine :) )

*If you do not want me to post your screen name on the list, or at any time, let me know. It will not effect your spot in the lottery or the dinner.

60 of you have requested 105 spots :lol:

This is the list of people who have PM'd me so far in alphabetical order. If you are not on the list and want to be let me know asap. I will accept names until noon tomorrow. Once he figures out how he is going to run the lottery, Don will post the details. Good Luck!

B.A.R.

babka

banco

barbara

bilrus

Black Sheep

bookluvinbabe

bougouni

brr

buckinghamilton

Cammille-Beau

capital icebox

chica grace

cjsadler

connave

corndog

crackers

crescentfresh

DanielK

David M.

Dc in DC

eating out

eoksala

giant shrimp

gnatharbed

hannah

heather

hm212

hold theline

Jacques Gastreaux

jm chen

johnb

JPW

kanishka

kitkatpaddywak

lackadaisi

Little Wing

lizzie

mbk

melgold

mktye

MMM

MODWOP

nadya

nashman1975

NotQuickDraw

pete

principia

sam

Scott Johnston

Shogun

silentbob

squidsdc

starfish

stephenb

twinkerlin

ustreetguy

Vandyhoo

woodleygirl

Zoramargolis

Edited because the numbers keep growing!

Edited by hillvalley

Since the restaurant will be closed for a private party, are there any restrictions on the types of alcoholic beverages that we will be permitted to bring?  By that I mean, would it be OK to bring say a bottle of single malt or calvados for an after-dinner wee dram?

Liquor is allowed. Wanton breaking of bottles is not. I can provide snifters but not full cocktail set-up, e. g. martini glasses, shakers, ice, garnishes etc. So sherries, ports and sipping spirits would be ideal.

Cigars outside.

Here is the final list. 66 members requested a total of 115 spaces.

Al Dente

AlexC

babka

banco

barbara

bilrus

Black Sheep

bookluvinbabe

bougouni

brr

buckinghamilton

Cammille-Beau

capital icebox

chica grace

cjsadler

connave

Cooter

corndog

crackers

crescentfresh

DanielK

David M.

Dc in DC

eating out

eoksala

giant shrimp

gnatharbed

hannah

heather

hey brookie

hm212

hold theline

Jacques Gastreaux

jm chen

johnb

JPW

kanishka

kitkatpaddywak

lackadaisi

Little Wing

lizzie

mbk

melgold

mktye

MMM

MODWOP

nadya

nashman1975

NotQuickDraw

otello

pete

principia

RaisaB

sam

Scott Johnston

Shogun

silentbob

squidsdc

starfish

stephenb

twinkerlin

ustreetguy

Vandyhoo

woodleygirl

Zoramargolis

Stay tuned for more details.

Rocks -

You might want to check this out.

Assuming that you want a completely random sampling from people who put their names in the hat, this is the way to go...

Okay, I'm thinking of using this, generating "66" random integers, with "1" as the smallest value and "66" as the largest value. We'll take the numbers in order, accounting for either 1 or 2 people for each number selected, until we hit 40 people total. For example, if the first number in the list is "8", we'd take "booklovingbabe," who is the 8th person in the list. If booklovingbabe is bringing a guest, that accounts for the first two slots. if she's not bringing a guest, it accounts only for the first slot.

if we get to 39 slots , then should we take singles only? perhaps.

If anyone can think of a better way, let me know. I need to figure out a way to do this so it's publicly accountable and visible. Any suggestions? Worst-case scenario is that you'll have to trust me to run it, then cut-and-paste the results to this thread right after I do it.

I agree. May I also suggest that you pick several alternatives and if anyone drops out we have a list to draw from.

As long as he puts 66 in the number generator, it will do a random order for the entire list, so he'll have more alternates than he needs...