Ray's The Steaks Dinner, Mon Dec 5th, 7 PM

hillvalley

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a wine collector, so I have nothing to bring on that front.

However, I am more than happy to bring a bottle of single malt for pre- and post-dinner sampling, if a some of you would be so kind as to pour me a glass or three of some vino during dinner.

I could bring the other half of the bottle of Ben Nevis 10yr that I had at the picnic. Other bottles I have lying around: Oban 14yr, Dalwhinnie 15yr, Glenmorangie Port Wood 12yr, Macallan Elegancia 12yr, Glen Garioch 15 yr, Balvenie DoubleWood 12yr. I think they're all Highland malts.

I only want to bring a single bottle, so if someone has a particular request, speak up...

Glen garioch (I've never seen this one before, could be interesting)

If you have any food allergies, special needs, etc. please let me know.  I will work with the chef when we are closer to the dinner to make sure they are taken care of.  For now just bother me with these issues.

Thanks!

I am assuming that if I have not heard from you, you DO NOT expect the chef to make any special arrangements, regardless of allergies, vegetarianism, strange eating habits, etc.

Since the chef is opeing up the restaurant on his night off just for us I am not going to ask him to make any special changes, other than for the one person who contacted me (there are no walnuts so that is not a problem for those of you with that allergy).

See you all Monday!

This time tomorrow we should be enjoying our steak right about now. Until then, a reminder or two....

If you cancel now I cannot gaurantee a refund. You will only receive a refund if someone fills your spots.

There is not a bar at Ray's so please do not plan on getting there much earlier than 7.

I am going to try something new this time around when it comes to dealing with last minute cancelations. I have asked the next four people on the waiting list to give me a phone number where they can be reached tomorrow. If you cancel it will be your responsibility to call these people and fill your spots. I will not be able to help in any way other than providing the phone numbers.

Also, I will be in meetings throughout the day so I will only be checking in sporadically. Please CC Don who will be able to reach me throughout the day if needed.

See you all tomorrow evening :lol:

If it is really bad, I won't go as I have a bit of driving to do. But I don't expect a refund if I don't come. Hopefully  the roads will be good.

A thought: if you have to make the decision not to come, might you be able to arrange with one of the folks on the waitlist to swap out with you?

If it is really bad, I won't go as I have a bit of driving to do. But I don't expect a refund if I don't come. Hopefully  the roads will be good.

Come on people, it is only going to be a couple of inches. Great steak, for a great cause, so put on your boots and enjoy.

Edited by mdt

It's a nice thought, but unfortunately not a realistic one. As it is, filling last minute cancelations is hard enough.

If you can make that call by 11am (one hour from now) I will try to work with you, but I amke no promises or gaurantees.

Otherwise, my job is what I need to focus on today.

Two things:

First, I plan to arrive a little early and have a margarita or something at Guajillo's right next door to Ray's. If anyone else wants to meet for a drink before Michael opens the door at 7, I'll be at the guy at Guajillo's bar wearing a camel's hair jacket.

Second, in reliance on th weather forecast, I drove my big rig to work today so if anyone needs a ride back to the Alexandria area after the festivities, I should have some room. All warranties, express or implied, with regard to my driving ability, are hereby disclaimed.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

The current list:

AlexC

bilrus

bookluvingbabe

capital icebox

crackers

crescentfresh

DanielK

eoksala

giant shrimp

gnatharbed

heather

hillvalley

holdtheline

Jacques Gastreaux

JPW

kanishka

kitkatpaddywak

laniloa

mbk

melgold

mktye

MMM

MODWOP

nashman1975

principia

RaisaB

Scott Johnson

shogun

silentbob

squidsdc

stephenb

zoramargolis

Edited by hillvalley

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

HillValley--you are an event coordinator of the highest caliber (I was going to use a fancier word but I can't spell at this point.)

Michael--A great evening for a great cause. As I do my year end gifts, I'll remember Coaching for College.

It was great putting more faces to names.

And a wonderful treat to try a wine older than I am for the first time. Wow!

More when I'm sober!

Jennifer

Many thanks to DonRocks for arranging this fine evening for us all. :)

Many, many thanks to hillvalley for all her hard work in organizing this event. :(

Thank you to Jacques Gastreaux for playing the substitute bouncer. :lol:

Thanks also to our fellow diners who helped make this evening so memorable. I still feel like we ought to have nametags, but perhaps that just marks me as a n00b. :)

And last, but by no means least...

Thank you very much, Mr. Landrum, to you and your staff for your generosity with your time and efforts! Neither my +1 nor myself had ever had the pleasure of dining at Ray's The Steaks prior to tonight, and all I can say is wow. Every morsel was simply superb! :P

As per hillvalley's suggestion, I'm off to check out the Coaching for College site right now!

Click here to contribute to Coaching for College.

As I said at the dinner, this organization is reaching kids at the most important time in their educational lives. Junior High is when you are able to convince most students who could be potential drop outs that they should push ahead for a high school diploma and hopefully a college degree.

I wish I could tell those of you who weren't able to join us that the evening was horrible, the people were boring and mean, and everyone's wine was corked but I can't.

Thanks of course to Micheal, for pulling off what should have been impossible: cooking all of our food with just one other person in the back, serving everything by himself and refusing any help. Thanks also for all the kind words. The past 5 hours are why I spend my time organizing these dinners. It is worth every minute, even the badgering to pay your Paypal :lol:

Keep your fingers crossed for a snow day so we can enjoy our leftovers in the comfort of our own homes. Crescentfresh, I am working to have Don declar every day after a dr.com event a snow day.

I am off to dream of giant vats of the crab bisque with a extra large side of deviled eggs.

:lol: A most gracious thank you to both Hillvalley and Donrocks for putting together a delicious outing. All the anticipation of waiting for this date was met by all my expectations. Much thanks to Mr. Landrum and his staff for tending to us on a day that they normally would be off. The entire meal, from the crab bisque to the outrageously yummy Key lime pie were all met with equal appreciation and delight.This was my 1st time attending a DR event, and I know for sure it wont be the last. I hope that the people I met this evening will become wonderful friends. Good friends. Good food. Good wine. What more could you ask for? Thank you for a superb evening.

I will concur with the others that the entire event was wonderful! Micheal you were fantastic, a host like you is a rare treat, and I will be back soon...er at least when I can score a reservation! Hillvalley, thanks for all your help in organizing this. Finally, thanks to my mates at the chefs tasting table! the wines were wonderful, the conversation better, and perhaps I will even remember a few names!

Cheers

Scott

I would like to add my thanks to one and all, to Michael Landrum for being such a gracious host, to Don Rocks and Hillvalley for organizing such an amazing event, to Jacqueux Gastreaux for welcoming a newbie and his friend, and finally, my table mates for doing the same and making enjoyable conversation (Scott/Martha/Jesse/Kat/Daniel K and wife/Scott and a few others who's names elude me at this point).

Thanks

Nashman

:lol:

<burp>

Random thoughts because I am too protein bloated to attempt a literary effort.

Great thanks to Michael and his 2 employees -- yes, that's right, Landrum +2 cooked, presented and cleaned a total of 3 amuses, one soup, a salad, steak and sides, and dessert for 40-odd people.

Great job Hillvalley. If you ever decide to give up your oh-so-lucrative current career, I think that you could make a mint as an event planner.

Even though Mrs JPW and I felt somewhat scared of being sued at "la table des avocats" our dining companions were wonderful. :lol:

Despite Michael's warnings, I didn't find the hanger to be the slightest bit "gamey" It was just savory and delicious. As he also said, "It tastes like beef should taste".

I could go through a list of how good everything was, but I'll focus on the following achievement -- I ate an entire scallop! Some of you may have previously seen the interesting convulsions that occur to me when I attempt to ingest various seafoods. For those who haven't, let me assure you that it also includes my face turning interesting shades of green. This was just so damn good, that it didn't occur to me to get the slightest bit quesy.

PS - Heather thanks for that taste of the '96 Insignia - Beautiful!

Edit to up total of amuses since JG reminded me of the eggs.

Edited by JPW

Great thanks to Michael and his 2 employees -- yes, that's right, Landrum +2 cooked, presented and cleaned a total of 2 amuses, one soup, a salad, steak and sides, and dessert for 40-odd people.

I still can't believe he served everyone all by himself, and only one lone plate bit the dust.

Thank so much Michael and staff for making us feel so welcome, hillvalley & Don for organizing, to my table mates for the very funny conversation and to DanielK for that amazing scotch. And I have half a beautiful rare strip steak for breakfast. Mmmmmmmm.

I'm not going to even try to compete by trying to offer accolades that top the ones that have already been given. Great food and great wines accompanied by great company.

And don't forget that the "devilishly good eggs" made a brief appearance last night. For those who don't know, devilishly good eggs are deviled eggs stuffed with steak tartar.

Anyone who would like to settle their bar tab from Guajillo should send me a PM.

edited to add: And damn, was that bisque good.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Thanks to everyone, especially the 3 man crew from Ray's, for a great evening. I've come to expect no less when we all get together and Don and Hillvalley get a lot of the credit. But so do all the DR.com-ers I end up sitting and chatting and eating with.

I've added other thoughts here on the Ray's thread, as they are more about Ray's than the event itself.

Seriously, it was very impressive that Michael did this with only 1 or 2 people assisting him. Thank you very much Michael.

Thanks also to HillVAlley and DonRocks for putting it all together. Though I am wondering, is there really a DonRocks?

It was so very nice meeting so many of you after only 2 years of posting here and there! :lol:

Edited by RaisaB

I only saw two people, Landrum and Hartzer.  I don't know how they did it, but they did.  Dinner for 52 put on by just the 2 of them.  (unless you are counting Landrum twice)

Don't forget the dishwasher/busboy who probably aided in the prep.

I only saw two people, Landrum and Hartzer.  I don't know how they did it, but they did.  Dinner for 52 put on by just the 2 of them.

Hartzer was there?

Then you just answered your own question: Michael Hartzer was Executive Chef at Citronelle for two or three years, and pretty much ran their kitchen. If you listed the top twenty chefs in the area, you'd start with Richard, Trabocchi, Ruta, ..., and somewhere before you finished you'd notice that Hartzer was on your list.

Reading this thread, I can't help but think this meal was the output of a tormented genius in Michael Landrum.

Cheers!

Rocks

We, the select few (were we 40 or 52?), send greetings to donrockers who will follow in our path. I asked hillvalley how many of the original 40 were present, and she said about 2/3. I know Michael has said he will set up a special table for the overflow, but I seriously doubt that he will again be able to serve everybody in the joint all at once with a smile on his face. In any case, my advice to the next wave is to pace yourselves. Ignore the bread, go easy on the scallops, be skeptical of the devilled eggs, choose one or the other scampi, sop not thy sauce, savor the soup, pick at the salad, and arrive at the steak -- whether it's ongelet, NY strip or filet -- with a serious amount of room in your belly. Don't worry about the key lime pie at the end -- it is so delicious that making space isn't an issue.

My contribution was a 50 year old Burgundy, a Chambolle Musigny. (Michael obligingly accepted a glass without breaking stride.) DanielK came up with a 15 year old single malt scotch that he had smuggled in from the moors. Scott had an excellent cognac that he was generous with.

My lasting memory is of the extraordinary feat of athleticism in which Michael served everybody in the house, remembered our orders, and somehow kept things moving. However, his dictum that we'd have to be out in an hour and a half was slightly off -- by two and half hours.

Edited by StephenB